Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

Best Acoustic/Electric for $500-$800

My friend is looking to buy an Acoustic/Electric USED or NEW.
Are there any decent used Gibsons, Martins, or Taylors in that price range.
I really don't know much when it comes to acoustic guitars. The main requirements I have are that it intonates well and has low action, both of which can be fixed on any guitar. I don't understand why some acoustics/electrics are so much more expensive than others.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"Itís a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think itís a lot more rare to have someone whoís really got their own sound because thatís something you canít practice."
WesM.Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

some acoustic electrics are more expensive than others due to all solid vs all laminate or laminate back and sides woods, better quality electronics, being built in the u.s. where labor is higher, better quality or poly finish costs more in time and/or materials, being built by skilled luthiers who command higher wages but do things like tap tuning which can improve the sound of the guitars, types of materials or woods used in guitar.

there are used all solid lower to mid martins at this price range, taylor low (lam back and sides) end new or slightly higher end used, gibsons only if they're messed up or the seller doesn't know the value.

the guitars i'd suggest new in this price range are epiphone masterbilt guitars, seagulls (both the solid top original s6 and the SWS guitars, which are all solid wood), yamaha fgx700 series, blueridge. used i'd suggest looking for larrivee, martin, and maybe the taylor 300 series (their lowest all solid models). also i hear good things about this martin http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...h71019000001000
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

What about a Seagull s6+CW for $375? Would that be a good deal?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"Itís a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think itís a lot more rare to have someone whoís really got their own sound because thatís something you canít practice."
Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

is that the rustic, the original, the coastline or the slim? (or did i miss one?).
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2799528803.html

doesnt say...sorry im on dial up so I haven't been able to research everything about a particular brand like I would like to...

what are the pros and cons for an acoustic with added pickup vs. Acoustic/electric?

EDIT: I'm gonna add some more guitars and if you don't mind tell me if it is a good deal or not since some of these are hard to price.

Guild F 25
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2761802671.html

Martin DCM
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2806328007.html

Last edited by WesM.Vaughan : 01-30-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

pros of adding your own pickup to an acoustic: you can choose the one you want. you can probably spend more on the guitar if you can pay to add the pickup later. chances are good that you'll spend less on an aftermarket pickup than you would on one that's built into the guitar.

pluses of buying an acoustic electric: many acoustic electrics have cutaways where few straight acoustics have 'em. very convenient having the electronics come with the guitar. many built in preamps have a tuner and equalizer built in.

and the big cons of adding your own pickup: cost of paying a luthier to do it or trouble/possible guitar damage of doing it yourself. choosing a pickup may not be easy.

couple things - do you know how to tell if a guitar needs a neck reset? if not, i'd avoid anything older like the guild, and i'd consider learning a bit about it before buying used. and do you know how to spot damage when buying used? for example, my husband spots fine wood cracks running down the grain that i might have missed 'cause they're so hard to spot.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
IMtBike

Location: Southern Maryland (we go huntin' fer deer the weekend after Thanksgivin')
This would be at the top of your range, but you could get a Yamaha A3M. It has all solid back and sides and good electronics. If you upgrade to $900, you can get the A3R, which has rosewood back and sides instead of mahogany (this is what I have). The A3M still sounds pretty great though.

Here is what the A3R sounds like (this video was better than any for the A3M. The A3R is just a bit brighter and crisper):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8b0...feature=related

Most Epic Build!
IMtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

um... rosewood isn't brighter and crisper than mahogany but quite the opposite. rosewood has more overtones and bass, just a beautiful sounding wood.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
do you know how to tell if a guitar needs a neck reset?

I'm not sure what you mean about resetting the neck. From my experience with electric guitars, neck adjustments are usually done when the guitar is fretting out in some places. Basically I was gonna take a tuner and check the intonation of the guitar and the action, if both of those were good I was going to assume that everything was okay, would this be wrong?

As far as fine wood cracks, yea I could spot them. I'm guessing any place on the guitar could cause big problems down the road?

Thank you Patticake! You have been extremely helpful!

EDIT: Is this one of the Masterbuilt Epiphones you were talking about?
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/2784509674.html

Also what is your opinion of the Martin DM series?

Last edited by WesM.Vaughan : 01-31-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

yes, that is one of the masterbilts.

at some point, every guitar will need a neck reset. it won't look like anything to someone unfamiliar with one, and if the action seems high, most people will assume the action needs lowering. but due to over 100 pounds of strings pulling for years, the neck and guitar sort of fold into each other very slowly. on a guitar with a bolt on neck, it will cost a couple hundred to fix - on a guitar with a dovetail neck, up to $750. the thing is, being kept too dry, using strings that are too high tension for it (using 13's on a guitar rated for 11's, for example), keeping a guitar tuned up higher than normal can all speed up the process. and once in a while, a guitar needs a neck reset soon rather than later due to manufacturer issue.

more about it here - important to know about if you plan to buy used and possibly older.
http://www.bryankimsey.com/necksets/index.htm

also go here
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html
and look up the word "reset", and you'll be able to see starting pics of guitars that need 'em.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

What is the best out of these three?
MasterBuilt Epiphone
Martin DM series
Seagull S6
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
WesM.Vaughan
POS Guitar Junkie

What about the taylor 214e? I found one FS for $600 it is a cutaway which apparently adds $100 to the value on musicians friend...however another guy has a 214e but says his is an 2006 model which is the last year they used solid sapele on the sides. Apparently 2007 and up have laminate indian rosewood. He is asking $700 for his. Since his isn't a cutaway, and just because the sides are solid sapele does that justify the $700 he is asking?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Jirud

Hi all,
Let's me suggest more interesting guitars under $500 in my list. Here is 10 of the best greatest acoustic electric guitars under $500 for everyone who are looking for a top acoustic electric guitar under $500.

Cordoba C5-CE Acoustic Electric Classical Guitar
Price: $399.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Guitar Player Pack
Price: $199.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Fender T-BUCKET-300CE Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Takamine G Series EG340SC Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar, Natural
Price: $342.02 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT Acoustic-Electric Guitar Rustic
Price: $499.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES33C Acoustic Guitar Pack
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Luna Oracle Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Crane
Price: $349.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Yamaha APX500 Acoustic Electric Guitar, Oriental Blue Burst
Price: $299.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar
Price: $159.95 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Ovation Celebrity CC28 Acoustic-electric Guitar, Black
Price: $316.17 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

You can see and listen to the guitar sound examples at http://acousticelectricguitarz.com/...tars-under-500/

That's a bunch of good options for you. Hope it helps. Good luck!
Jirud is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: