Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
andyhatescrass

Thinking about trading splawn quickrod....

So lately I've found that even after removing 2 out of 4 tubes and running my splawn at half power, I do not need the insanely loud volume that the quickrod cant really shake off, unless it is down past 9 o clock, then it just sounds like crap. I'm sure that i'm going to get called a complete idiot for this, but I played a prs se 50 head at a shop the other day and loved it! The cleans are sweet, better than the quickrod's and the distortion is enough for me. The thing is I use cleans more than distortion...... and I have a splawn -_- . I payed around 1300 for the splawn, and the prs is 1000, so I'm gonna try to barter with the shop about it. I feel like if they know anything, theyll make the trade.... gonna try to get a few more bucks after the trade as well, at least 200 maybe 300. Does that sound like a good way to go about haggling with a guitar shop?
andyhatescrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Ippon
Amped

I don't think a shop will assign that kind of price for a used QuickRod; but, good luck!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Don't go to GC, those guys shy away from boutique stuff for some reason (at least here they do). Best bet is to sell it through classifieds.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
andyhatescrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Don't go to GC, those guys shy away from boutique stuff for some reason (at least here they do). Best bet is to sell it through classifieds.

Not a guitar center, its an independent shop, they seem pretty knowledgeable about gear. I mean, its a 100w boutique head for a 50w head, that's more mass produced, and the splawn is worth so much more new which is how it looks! I dont see why anyone wouldn't trade, even if its just the amp for the amp and no extra $. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

I've tried on craigslist and there's nobody in my area who wants to fork over that much for an amp, it seems like.

Last edited by andyhatescrass : 10-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Ippon
Amped

$1300 is what they usually go for in Used, minty condition at GC. Right now there's one for that price. I snagged my current QR with the matching 212 cab for $1200 from CL.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, boutique amps are selling for cheap right now.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
$1300 is what they usually go for in Used, minty condition at GC. Right now there's one for that price. I snagged my current QR with the matching 212 cab for $1200 from CL.

Fortunately/Unfortunately, boutique amps are selling for cheap right now.

Yup. Prices have tanked across the board. I've seen QR heads for $1k several times in the last month and a half or so.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

i dunno if you'll get more then a grand even from a private sale.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
i dunno if you'll get more then a grand even from a private sale.

Yup. I think he'd be lucky to get within a couple hundred of that when trading it in. I can get near market value at one store in Austin on relatively in demand items but that's really only because I know the owner and have bought so much stuff there.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
andyhatescrass

Well shucks. I guess ill try classifieds.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Yup. Prices have tanked across the board. I've seen QR heads for $1k several times in the last month and a half or so.

1 paid under a grand for the pro mod and the nitro a year or two ago, as well as my mesa mkIV

OP a shop is going to screw you. they need to make money, they need to get it down enough to sell it for what you want to sell for.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

also those volume pot in a box help out pretty well. under $20. worst case you still sel it and have a little enclosure to make a pedal or something in,

best case it is manageable as far as volume goes and you are happy.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
1 paid under a grand for the pro mod and the nitro a year or two ago, as well as my mesa mkIV

OP a shop is going to screw you. they need to make money, they need to get it down enough to sell it for what you want to sell for.

Well, MKIVs have been selling for right around a grand for a few years. Under a grand for a Nitro a year ago is pretty impressive. I think average price was around $1200 then. Sounds about right for now. Not sure what Pro Mods have been selling for. I just keep up with the QR and Nitro because they're fairly easy to spot in classified listings.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Well, MKIVs have been selling for right around a grand for a few years. Under a grand for a Nitro a year ago is pretty impressive. I think average price was around $1200 then. Sounds about right for now. Not sure what Pro Mods have been selling for. I just keep up with the QR and Nitro because they're fairly easy to spot in classified listings.

i paid $875 on the mkIV. nice and minty with fresh tubes throughout.

i paid $950 shipped on the Promod, tubes a year old.

and $1k even shipped for the nitro, also freshly tubed.

there aren't as many promods out there, but i do like them over a quickrod.

IMO they are truly the most bang for the buck for the tones they produce.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 10-06-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
andyhatescrass

Quote:
also those volume pot in a box help out pretty well. under $20. worst case you still sel it and have a little enclosure to make a pedal or something in,

best case it is manageable as far as volume goes and you are happy.

Considering this option, since its not looking very likely that i'm going to sell the QR and not lose money. I'm at a point where I feel like I have nothing to lose by trading my 4x12 for a 2x12 and also the volume box thing.....

When you say volume pot in a box, are you referring to a volume pedal? or were you talking about a separate device?
I've read about tone loss with volume wah-type-setup pedals, so i've been looking into a few of them with volume and tone control, which seems like it might be cool.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhatescrass
Considering this option, since its not looking very likely that i'm going to sell the QR and not lose money. I'm at a point where I feel like I have nothing to lose by trading my 4x12 for a 2x12 and also the volume box thing.....

When you say volume pot in a box, are you referring to a volume pedal? or were you talking about a separate device?
I've read about tone loss with volume wah-type-setup pedals, so i've been looking into a few of them with volume and tone control, which seems like it might be cool.

the pot in a box is literally this right here. i paid less for mine a month or so identical product same seller . http://www.ebay.com/itm/20062105793...984.m1497.l2649

it isn't a miracle box, but it will definitely help. yea you do lose a little bit of tone, but thats just a sacrafice. it still sounds really good and still sounds like a splawn. you can do the volume pedal too, but i don't like the control of volume because its a spot on the pedal not a knob where you can see. i am a consistency freak though.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
andyhatescrass

Had the idea recently of trying to jump the fx loop with a patch cable and just set it to -10 for attempting to solve my volume problems. Is there any reason not to try this? Could it hurt my amp in any way? I read about attenuators causing harm to amplifiers, not sure if this is anything like that, I just want to be sure.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

No, you won't hurt anything patching the loop like that. I've never done it on my amp but I have done that when I owned my Valveking. Same concept. I seriously doubt it is going to do much in the grand scheme of things.

Attenuators do not really cause harm to amplifiers but they CAN cause power tubes to run hotter and therefore shorten their life.

I really think you should try the 'Loop Volume Box' trick first. They are cheap, like trashedlostfdup said. It is basically like having a second master volume or an overall amp volume on your amp. Set your amp up with that cranked tone that you are looking for and then use the loop volume to bring it down. There is a bit of tone suckage but not enough to worry about. I've used these and an actual volume pedal with success. Give it a try before you give up on teh Splawn.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
No, you won't hurt anything patching the loop like that. I've never done it on my amp but I have done that when I owned my Valveking. Same concept. I seriously doubt it is going to do much in the grand scheme of things.

Attenuators do not really cause harm to amplifiers but they CAN cause power tubes to run hotter and therefore shorten their life.

I really think you should try the 'Loop Volume Box' trick first. They are cheap, like trashedlostfdup said. It is basically like having a second master volume or an overall amp volume on your amp. Set your amp up with that cranked tone that you are looking for and then use the loop volume to bring it down. There is a bit of tone suckage but not enough to worry about. I've used these and an actual volume pedal with success. Give it a try before you give up on teh Splawn.

major +1

one nice thing too about it is you would have a master volume between both channels (obvious statement), but i leave my amp set, and use the loop volume to adjust volume, never bother with the knob on the amp.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
andyhatescrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote:
major +1

one nice thing too about it is you would have a master volume between both channels (obvious statement), but i leave my amp set, and use the loop volume to adjust volume, never bother with the knob on the amp.

Dudes,
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be getting a volume box. However, this is really the first time i've started experimenting with the loop on this amp and there is one thing that sounded like a potential problem.

As I said earlier, my quickrod being an 07, it only has a button that you push in for -10db and leave out for +4 db. When I engage the loop, the pedals work and everything, but when I push in the db button, I get a volume boost rather than less (-10) db; also when pressing it in, for no more than 1 second, I get a sound similar to when you touch the tip of a cable when it is plugged into a running amp.

You guys seem to be the splawn experts around here, so any insight would be rad. I have a feeling a call to scott is in my future though.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

well that button on the back is not meant to be used to set the level while playing.

it just sets the insert volume of the loop and you're not supposed to change it after it's set.

if you put a volume knob type pedal back there then you would just set the button on full and use the pedal.

Rate This Thread: