Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Looking For Simple Music to Transcribe

Hello guys I've just begun to get started with reading/transcribing music and right now I'm looking to build a solid foundation with my transcribing.

That being said, does anybody have any simple songs that I can get started off with? I'm looking for something like this although I really don't mind if it doesn't fit all the specifications as long as it's beginner material and not some type of complex music.

Time SIgnatures - Simple 4/4, 3/4,
Keys - Preferably not to many sharps or flats but don't care to much.
Rhythms - Quarter Notes, Half Notes, Eighth Notes, Sixteenths, Eighth Triplets & Quarter Triplets

Also as a separate question, I've noticed that when people write music or make transcriptions they tend to add the chords at the top of the bar. Is the chord determined by the melodic content contained in the bar or is it determined by something else?

All help is appreciated.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
HotspurJr

Start with simple melodies that you already know. Stuff like "twinkle twinkle little star" or various christmas carols.

Don't worry about chords too much until you're comfortable transcribing a melody.

Quote:
Is the chord determined by the melodic content contained in the bar or is it determined by something else?

The chord is determined by the chord the songwriter wanted to put there. Usually the chord is either a chord that contains the notes sung on stressed syllables, or that combines with those notes to form another meaningful chord. But if you want to know the chords, you have to listen to the chords.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

one of the major points of transcribing music is that it's motivated by your desire to learn music and not your desire to learn music theory. learn music that you already listen to, challenging or not, and you'll find that the task becomes a lot less like homework and the benefits a lot more tangible.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Start with simple melodies that you already know. Stuff like "twinkle twinkle little star" or various christmas carols.

Don't worry about chords too much until you're comfortable transcribing a melody.

The chord is determined by the chord the songwriter wanted to put there. Usually the chord is either a chord that contains the notes sung on stressed syllables, or that combines with those notes to form another meaningful chord. But if you want to know the chords, you have to listen to the chords.

Thanks for the example and I'll work on that later on today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
one of the major points of transcribing music is that it's motivated by your desire to learn music and not your desire to learn music theory. learn music that you already listen to, challenging or not, and you'll find that the task becomes a lot less like homework and the benefits a lot more tangible.

I understand where you're coming from but I find it much more motivating to start with something that isn't to far above my reach that way I can start from the bottom and gradually work my way up.

I've tried transcribing the music that I listen to but the music that inspires me can get complex and I wouldn't even know where to start if I were to transcribe music like it. Examples would be Animals As Leaders, Steve Vai, Galneryus etc...

Music like that just seems to far out there to start with especially when I'm still working on understanding basic concepts.

Last edited by dannydawiz : 10-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Anon17

Honestly, those two covered it.

I started with simple melodies (that I wanted to learn for touchstyle playing) such as Tetris Theme A and the Smells Like Teen Spirit vocal line (and chords for an arpeggiated baseline). It worked for me, and I had no transcribing experience prior to this.

Are you using the functional ear trainer? That will help your ear a lot with transcribing, on top of that doing a small amount of interval and chord ear training every day (musictheory.net) doesn't hurt either.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: