Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Nitronimor

Guitar string durability question

I recently purchased some D'addario strings, light gauge, after one of my old guitar strings broke. I wasn't surprised when the first one did, because it was several months old, but the new set of strings I bought the high E string broke within a few days. I'm pretty peaved about it, but I also understand that I was probably doing something wrong or I should buy a different set.

If I want more durable strings, should I purchase lighter gauge (so there is less tension) or heavier gauge (so it is thicker and stronger)?
Nitronimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Captaincranky

No, you should have the guitar checked to find out if there are any sharp edges that could be cutting into that string. Sometime the tuners develop sharp edges where the string enters the peg hole.

But first, you have to be certain you're tuning the guitar to E-E standard, concert pitch.

An acoustic light gauge, (.012), e-1 string, normally won't make F# above E without breaking.

Where are the strings breaking, at the tuner, at the bridge, someplace else?

D'Addario strings are as good as any in the business, it's likely either equipment failure, or pilot error.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-05-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Nitronimor

They are breaking at the tuner, and yeah my guitar is a shitty $75 Johnson acoustic guitar but I've never had strings break this fast before. I was tuning it back up from D to E when it broke
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Captaincranky

As I said before, tuners sometimes DEVELOP sharp edges, causing strings to break. Meaning it may not have had a sharp edge before, but could have one now.

Strings don't normally break if they're not tuned above standard pitch. The wound strings tend to go dead faster on a guitar that has the tunings changed often.

If you're breaking the same string all the time, it's not likely the string, it's the guitar.

.012 strings (acoustic light e-1) will easily reach and maintain E above middle C. In fact, they're designed for just that purpose.

.009 will reach and maintain the G above middle C, 3 semitones higher than the e-1 string.

Here's a link to a decent set of inexpensive tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/...ers,_3L_3R.html Should the need arise, of course.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-05-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Nitronimor

Many thanks, dude!

Rate This Thread: