Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Mangohabs

fender custom shop 69's

Anybody have any experience with these pickups? I'm looking to swap out the pickups in my strat and have heard pretty solid things about these. Thanks!
Mangohabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

got 'em in my strat, WAS gonna get the texas specials but after hearing these i was more impressed with them.

better for a bluesy tone from the smooth in the neck to the twangy in the bridge.

if that's the kind of thing you want, get them, you won't regret it.
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Mangohabs

that's definitely what im looking for, john mayer-y/SRV sorta tone. you find that you could get those tones pretty well?
Mangohabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

john mayer is my idol, i chose the '69 pickups over texas specials (which are the ones in the SRV strat) for a reason!

and i get the tones perfectly!

my amp, for reference, is a Vox VT50 on 'tweed 2X12' setting and my pedals are: Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 Wah > Joyo Digital Delay > MXR M108 > Danelectro fish 'n' chips > digitech screamin blues > marshal the guv'nor > EHX small clone > Zvex SHO > amp.

and as previously said, i have them in my strat (Fender Classic Player 60's strat in 3-tier sunburst xD)

so yep.

it's close between them and the texas specials but i find the 69s a bit more versatile while still being able to do everything the texas specials can do.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I have CS69s also (another CP 60s user ) and I agree with what's been said. I've played Texas Specials and at the time thought they were awesome... But the CS69s have more 'chime' to them. They are very well rounded, even the bridge has a little fatness to it... Which I like.

If you wanted a 'twang' I'd say stay away, but for a fat, smooth typical strat tone they're the best I've heard. (I've never tried 'boutique' brands though.)
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I have CS69s also (another CP 60s user ) and I agree with what's been said. I've played Texas Specials and at the time thought they were awesome... But the CS69s have more 'chime' to them. They are very well rounded, even the bridge has a little fatness to it... Which I like.

If you wanted a 'twang' I'd say stay away, but for a fat, smooth typical strat tone they're the best I've heard. (I've never tried 'boutique' brands though.)

Rate This Thread: