Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Lazr

learning new melodies

everything thing just keeps sounding the same way. I'm having trouble improvising new stuff i've used scales and learning other people stuff. nothing really jumping out at me so what should i do you guys do when this happens to u

o and i tryed recording youtube videos so i could slow em download and try to jam with em no luck there it doesn't work right...:\

Last edited by Lazr : 10-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Lazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well, you can't get away from your "style". But, you can learn stuff to enhance your style. Unfortunately, that's about all the advice I can give without knowing what you play.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Lazr

i play technical death metal metal, melodic metal.
Lazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazr
i play technical death metal metal, melodic metal.

Well, find a technique that you don't know very well and focus on that. There are tons of instructional videos on youtube. For instance, if you don't do tapping very well, find some videos and exercises on it. Learn some songs that focus heavily on it. The same thing for learning new arpeggios, string skipping, sequences, ect.. If you already have these things under your belt, dive into theory. Memorize the notes on the fretboard, construct your arpeggios and harmonies. Basically, there is always something to learn, and learning new techniques can help to vary your composition.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

This is a problem people have all the time and the solution is very simple: think more. You need to stop just letting your fingers run over what you know and actually start thinking about what you're doing. Pay more attention to the backing track and think about how you want to sound and how to achieve that. Once you know what you want to sound like then getting that sound out of the guitar is the next section which can take some time but it gets easier and becomes quicker the more you do it.

Stop playing, start thinking.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This is a problem people have all the time and the solution is very simple: think more. You need to stop just letting your fingers run over what you know and actually start thinking about what you're doing. Pay more attention to the backing track and think about how you want to sound and how to achieve that. Once you know what you want to sound like then getting that sound out of the guitar is the next section which can take some time but it gets easier and becomes quicker the more you do it.

Stop playing, start thinking.

what he said

and what I would have said if I'd got here first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: