Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
TanglewoodGirl

Bla-bla-bla Tanglewood reviews and tips

Hi, i'm new to this forum and guitars! I'm getting a tanglewood DBT DLX F TR I was wondering if anyone has any reviews about the make or this specific guitar? I'm a begginer so if you have any tips they'd be appreciated

Thanks
TanglewoodGirl
TanglewoodGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
another_dave

Top tip would be try to practice a little every day. Try to memorise some songs you enjoy playing/singing regularly.

I'm tempted to recommend keeping a practice log/diary, but this is something I always intend to do myself, rather than something I actually do! :-)

EDIT
Re: Tanglewood.
While I'm not familiar with your particular model, Tanglewood are arguably the dominant acoustic guitar brand in the UK, so it's a safe bet for your first guitar.

Last edited by another_dave : 10-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
another_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

nice firstie guitar ! should do you well for some time.
the only advice i would give you is to have it 'set up" professionally when you get it.
most new guitars are adjusted absurdly out of proportion at the factory( why i dont know, you'd think they'd at least do a happy medium) especially starter type guitars. have it set up so it wont hurt your fingers so much and will stay in tune longer( yeah, yeah yeah all you regulars ... i could go into detail about what a set up is but it isn't important that she know the specifics at this point in her learning is it?)
a good set up usually cost around 50 bucks here in NY so with the conversion i put it at 6 helpings of fish n chips and a toothbrush.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
....[ ].....most new guitars are adjusted absurdly out of proportion at the factory( why i dont know, you'd think they'd at least do a happy medium) especially starter type guitars. have it set up so it wont hurt your fingers so much and will stay in tune longer....[ ].......
I have a few random thoughts about that. (Oh yes, I know all too well that many believe all my thoughts are random).

Still in all, it's really impressive when you see all that pretty white plastic sticking out above the bridge, is it not? Room for adjustment aplenty! I''ll take that'n.....

And there's the more draconian aspect, which is that the lower the action, the better the fret work needs to be. So, leave the action "a bit high", and you won't get any random buzzes at "X" fret on "X" string.

The high action will also compensate for a top nut that's been whoops, accidentally grooved too deep! (Personal experience).
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
stepchildusmc

i hate all that plastic sitcking out !! hate it hate it hate it ! and i hate my father for making me eat lima beans as a child and i hate it when i accidentally staple bologna to my forehead and i hate .... ooh ohh...sorry where were we? hey , isnt there a new power puff girls episode on this morning?
(just tryin to keep it simple for her cranky, the shop, if its any good will know where to safely leave the bridge height)
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
TanglewoodGirl

thx for you help and great tips
TanglewoodGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: