Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ that's actually a really good suggestion, although an M9 and the amp will cost more than a Vypyr. TS needs to decide.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
woad_yurt

How about $199.00?

I have one of these, love it, and cannot figure why no one jumps on these. They are truly Fender's ignored stepchild. 25 watts, 2 6L6GCs, master volume, clean and gain channels, headphone jack, reverb, effects loop, no biasing needed, etc, etc, etc. It does have a SS preamp, which everyone says it's a no-no, but they seem to like 'em ok in old MusicMan amps.

If you fiddle with the gain, master volume, etc, you can play very well at low, low volumes. It'll do band volumes too, easy.

Anyway, here's an available one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...726-i2704611.gc

Last edited by woad_yurt : 10-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The Vyper Tube doesn't need rebiasing if you replace the tubes either. Once you start getting into small amps (<30W) the majority of those don't either.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
FenrirFangs

Why do you need to get a tube amp? There are a bunch of awesome solid-state amps you could use for bedroom practicing. But if it has to be tube and under $300, really your safest bet is, as people have said, a Vyper.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
kutless999

You can find a used classic 30 for that price.
kutless999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutless999
You can find a used classic 30 for that price.

won't cut it for the bands he listed.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
VJVswan
plays in B#

I recommend the Blackstar HT-1 for you. First off, it's within your budget. I believe the Vypyr is a little over $400, whereas this one is $250. Since you say it's going to be solely for the bedroom, a 1 watt tube amp will fit you nicely. I used to have the same amp you currently have and I don't know about you but I would never turn the volume knob past 9 o' clock while practicing. With this 1-watt amp, you will be forced to turn the volume knob higher, thus allowing you to get a much more rich overdriven sound. If you didn't know, tube amps get most of their distortion when they're pushed hard past the limits of their tubes. So basically a 1 watt Blackstar with its volume turned up will sound much better than a 60 watt Peavey with its volume turned down.

Here's a link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackst...090-i1894305.gc
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #28
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Blackstar HT series have an SS preamp. it won't sound that good and bedroom volume usually dictates quietness - something the HT-1 won't offer with your suggested settings.

the Vypyr Tube is around $300 used. he is willing to go used. as it has an SS preamp as well it'll sound just the same at quieter volumes and is loud enough to jam with a drummer if TS ever needs to.

Btw, "most of the distortion" does not necesarily come from the power amp section as you implied, it comes from the preamp. a cranked JTM45 will have most of its gain from the power amp - however an HT-1 will not. cranking it will sound the same as it will at a lower volume essentially, maybe a little richer.

I will never recommend an amp solely for the bedroom, unless we're talking apartment, no time to jam, recording stuff situation. TS isn't, he stated that right now he's a bedroom player. If two months maybe he won't be and the HT-1 won't cut it for band practice.

If I may ask, what's your experience with the Vypyr Tube?

Rate This Thread: