Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
The_Musician321

Yet another Orion cover

So I saw every year or so someone will make one of these and put it out. I just got my cabinet modeling software working and thought I would make one too and get some crits on my mixing and tone. Not confident in the harmonies, but I recorded all three parts. Be gentle.

Also some help in finding a better quality drum and bass backing track would be much appreciated. The quality for the one I used sucks, but it was all I could find.

Orion Cover

Last edited by The_Musician321 : 09-23-2012 at 11:39 PM.
The_Musician321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
SacrificeTheory

Nice

As far as playing goes, it was a little sloppy in parts, if you were doing the rhythm in one take that's fair enough, but when it gets to the bit with the harmonies, something in the beginning doesn't sound quite right, and it sounds like you're a little bit behind with the guitar parts, maybe that was latency?
It sounds like you're struggling to keep up with the track especially towards the end.

All in all though, pretty close to the original

For mixing, EQ it a bit, sounds a little muddy, It's a nice tone though, what are you using?
SacrificeTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
The_Musician321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacrificeTheory
Nice

As far as playing goes, it was a little sloppy in parts, if you were doing the rhythm in one take that's fair enough, but when it gets to the bit with the harmonies, something in the beginning doesn't sound quite right, and it sounds like you're a little bit behind with the guitar parts, maybe that was latency?
It sounds like you're struggling to keep up with the track especially towards the end.

All in all though, pretty close to the original

For mixing, EQ it a bit, sounds a little muddy, It's a nice tone though, what are you using?

I'm using Voogenx, with a god's cab IR, then a TSE-30, and KeFIR with an IR from that metallica gold pack floating around. I just got some much better headphones and I re played a lot of the parts you mentioned. Uploading it now. Going to post the new link in a few. Thanks for the very in depth input.

The ****.... Now soundcloud is giving me a copyright notice. Really?

Last edited by The_Musician321 : 09-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
The_Musician321

*Bump*

Worked around the copyright issue, and uploaded the new mix. Re-recorded all parts, re-mixed using new headphones. Lemme know what you all think.

Orion Cover
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
FallenDestiny
I try.

Hey!
Checked out your cover. Nice job, but there are a few issues to be addressed. One is your timing for that riff after the first bass solo, which also appears at the end of the song. Also, the solos were a bit off time too, but good technique, and your rhythm tone was good. Did you play the bass part too? If you did, then awesome job with the solos!

Could you check my cover out? I'd really appreciate it!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565545
FallenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
AgentRan

like mentioned on top, timing problem after the first bass solo and mid through the quiet part, plus you can have a better tone i belive.
your solos are really good, improve your bending skills man!
AgentRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
The_Musician321

I missed the target on a lot of the bends I do admit, as for the tone I use vsts to get the tone I achieved. I loaded the voogen boogex first, the tse-30x then kefir, then I used gods cab impulses in the boogex, and the master of puppets ir from that Metallica gold ir pack floating around.

I'm going to re-record all of the solos this weekend. I think I also need to tweak the mix on the lead a little bit. That last riff was hard to play on time for some reason. I still can't figure out what the problem is. I don't think it's a latency issue.

EDIT: Oh and I did NOT play the bass in this cover. It was a backing track made from the GH:metallica track in the game. All I have is a guitar that I can use a bass amp VST and a preset on my pedal to come close to the sound of the bass. I tried to couple that with the PI Muff distortion, and wah, and it sounded like crapola so I wasn't going to do that to cliff burton's masterpeice.

Last edited by The_Musician321 : 10-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
projector73

Good cover bro, but i have few notes. First - the sound quality is not the best. You need to upload song in 320 kbps (or am I wrong - now is 320 kbps?) it's will be much better! Second - you need more practice with lead parts and some parts is out of tempo. But it's a great job, just correct major mistakes and cover will be even better
projector73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
The_Musician321

Are you talking about the backing track? I have been fighting like hell to get the drum and bass track to sound better since I got it. I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
projector73

I have drum track and i think it's sounds better. If you want i can send it on your mail or skype.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
The_Musician321

Dude please that would be great.

The email is themusician123@hotmail.com
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
projector73

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Musician321
Dude please that would be great.

The email is themusician123@hotmail.com

Done.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Pettah
StratMan

Good job mate! One of my favorite Metallica tunes The overall playing was good, but the timing where off in some places, and the tone was good, but it could have been better! Anyway, great job man! kudos
Pettah is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: