Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
I K0nijn I

What new amplifier? :-)

Budget? - Whatever my Mesa Dual Rectifier sells for. It is up for sale now for 1300 euros, but I might stretch to 1500 euros if it's worth it.

Genres? - I play a bit of everything, which is why I wanted a triple channel amplifier. Turns out, the drive channel isn't what I wanted. I like the cleans and the high-gain, but the mid-gain isn't that good, in my opinion (thought I'd share what I don't like about the Mesa). I like something with a little more balls.

As far as cleans go, I play jazz, blues and pop-rock when I'm alone. In my band, I occasionally need to play some cleans.

For drive, I need a good mid-gain drive. Artists I'll refer to that I like as far as tones go are Band of Skulls, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, Priestess, Triggerfinger, etc.

If it could do metal (with a boost), that would be a nice added feature, but it's not that needed as of now.

I need to have at least 2 foot switchable channels.
Preferably with an FX loop.

New or Used? - I prefer used, as I can sell it on without (a lot of) loss later on, if needed. New is not a problem, of course. xD

Home or Gig? - Gig without PA.

Closest City? - I'm in Belgium. I can drive around.

Current Gear? - see sig. :-)

TLDR:
New amp, 1300 euros approx., decent clean, good mid-gain drive, 2 channels at least (switchable) for gigging.

Thanks in advance. If I forgot something, just ask. :-)
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Laney VH100
Framus cobra
Framus Dragon
Splawn QuickRod
Peavey JSX
Marshall DSL
Marshall JVM
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
I K0nijn I

Oh, I should add:

Tried everything Peavey I know of (JSX, XXX, 6505(+), Ultra(+), Classic 30/50) and didn't like any of those that much for mid-gain. As far as Marshall goes, I can't say I'm wowed by their "new" amplifiers. I like their older stuff, such as a Plexi and a JCM 800 (which was based on the plexi, right?), a lot more.

I played a QuickRod KT88 and really liked it, but it's a little bit too expensive new for me. Used, they don't pop up often, although there is something Splawn up now, I believe.

Thank you for your response, by the way. :-)
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
RockGuitarist09

The laney VH would be brilliant for what you've listed. I would also consider the Marshall JVM410H.
RockGuitarist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
I K0nijn I

I e-mailed my local guitar shop about the Budda Superdrive 18 head as well. There was no price listed, but I actually love the combo they have. Thoughts on that one?

I don't have personal experience with the VH, is there something comparable that I might have tried? :P
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i think a vh is basically a gh with a clean channel. and (again, i think) a gh is basically a hot-rodded 800. worth considering, probably. though if you can spring for a splawn (haven't tried them, heard good things), that might be better. the laneys are killer if you get them cheap enough- but the prices have been shooting up recently, so they're not as attractive as they were. Not that long ago, you could pick up a new vh100r for 600 in the UK. Now they're 1000. Awesome at 600, not so much at 1000.

I liked the budda i tried. But that was before they were bought out by peavey. No idea if the quality is the same now or not. Also it was quite a unique tone, a bit on the dark side.

jvm might be worth considering, too. i preferred its lower gain od to its high gain.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
I K0nijn I

Yes, I saw the Laney is 1200 euros new. I can't buy it locally, I'd have to get it shipped. I'm not that fond of paying that much for something I can't try. =/
Now that we're talking Laney, there's a Laney Klipp 100 watt for sale, for 700 euros (bidding starts at 600). Haven't heard of them before, but I've seen them in pictures. Thoughts?

Other amps that interest me:
VHT Pitbull Classic (no experience whatsoever)
ENGL Powerball (no experience with this, but I quite liked the other ENGL stuff I tried)
Orange Rockerverb 100
Splawn QuickRod (there's one up for sale now)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Peavey bought out Budda but let them continue to do things they were doing. The Series II is actually a few miles above the original ones as far as quality, and actually fixed a couple of the issues the older ones were having.

The 18W Budda is a great amp but if you play a lot of cleans, you might want to think about getting something with a bit more headroom like the 30 or 45.

EDIT: Another thing about the Budda amps that people miss, is that yes, they have footswitchable rhythm/overdrive channels but they share the same EQ.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5

Last edited by cdr_salamander : 10-06-2012 at 07:49 PM.
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
I K0nijn I

I don't play a lot of cleans at band volume, and even so, the cleans can have some grit. :-) The 30 or the 45 aren't available here and are out of my budget as well, I think.
Don't care that much about shared EQ, my cleans and drive have about the same EQ settings. :-)
Thank you for your input, it's very welcome.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
I K0nijn I

Also, maybe an Orange AD30?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Robbgnarly

Go for the Splawn QR. I am saving my pennies right now to get one.

I have played the VHT pitbull before and they are a nice amp. I have liked the tone of the few Engls I have tried, but they seem to be missing something in a band situation.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Perverockstar69

Yep, Orange are worthy amplifiers, both you mentioned are very good, can you try them?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
I K0nijn I

I have played both to a certain degree.
I was wondering if the AD30 can stay clean over a drummer? The TH30 I played certainly could, but I only played around with drive sounds on the AD30.

Let's say you've got the choice:
Rockerverb 100 + Orange 412 cab w/ greenbacks
or
Splawn QuickRod with no cab.

They're about the same price second hand. I have a 212 V30 cab, but I wouldn't mind an extra 412.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
Yes, I saw the Laney is 1200 euros new. I can't buy it locally, I'd have to get it shipped. I'm not that fond of paying that much for something I can't try. =/
Now that we're talking Laney, there's a Laney Klipp 100 watt for sale, for 700 euros (bidding starts at 600). Haven't heard of them before, but I've seen them in pictures. Thoughts?

Other amps that interest me:
VHT Pitbull Classic (no experience whatsoever)
ENGL Powerball (no experience with this, but I quite liked the other ENGL stuff I tried)
Orange Rockerverb 100
Splawn QuickRod (there's one up for sale now)

never tried a klipp. i think it's an older model, though.

i've loved the vhts (they're called fryette now, axl owns the vht name now) i've tried, but they have quite a unique, dry type of tone, and they have so many models i just get confused- i'm not sure if i've tried that one.

powerball is very modern-sounding and has tons of gain. I haven't tried the newer version, though.

rockerverb is nice, but again, like the vht, has quite a unique tone. quite dark-sounding.

never tried a splawn.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

quickrod all the way. well, actually that is a very tough choice.

Now that I think about it, definitely the quickrod. The Thunderverb has a LOT of headroom. for med-gainy stuff you want some power tube break up and unless you crank that beast you wont get any. the quickrod has a half power switch, and you can yank two power tubes to bring it down to 25 watts (311 does that right?)

Last edited by ihartfood : 10-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
I K0nijn I

It's not a Thunderverb, it's a Rockerverb. :-)
It's hard to decide atm. =/ Had band practice today and my Mesa sounded really good this time. =P Argh, I hate choices.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

haha join the club. i'm like the most indecisive person ever. At least, I think I am. Maybe I'm not.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

well completely disregard what I said and therefore intensify this decision
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
I K0nijn I

Ok, that's very helpful, haha.

Also, just a question: the cab that comes with the Rockerverb comes with Greenbacks instead of V30's (which is their standard now, right?). Were the V30's swapped out, or did Orange make greenback-cabs in the past?
Also, how would 4 greenbacks and 2 V30's sound together and how would I go towards connecting 2 cabs to 1 head?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

not sure whether orange made greenback cabs or not.

what's the impedance of the cabs?

Rate This Thread: