Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Jaspafari

Lightbulb In need of help on buying a new amp

Hi all,

I finally have some money to get a valve amp, which i really need. (my marshall 230s valvestate is not enough for playing gigs and I'm in wanting of a valve amp for a long time.

First of all, I play mainly "old rock" style music with my band, think of Dire Straits, Oasis, Beatles,... I play using cleans, overdive, ans sometimes a little distortion depending on the song. For when I'm not playing with the band, I do however enjoy playing some good old trash metal.
So I need an amp with good cleans, but which I can still crank up to play some heavier stuff, but the cleans are the most important to me.
Combo or head/cabinet, either is fine.

My budget can be up to ~1500 Euro. I prefer not a used one, I don't know enough of amps to now if I get a good deal I buy a used one.

It will be used for gigging, as well for band rehearsal and playing at home.

As for where I live, it's Belgium, about midway between Antwerp and Brussels. The Musicstore in Germany is possible for me.

At the moment I play through an old Marshall Valvestate 230s, which, despite the name, does not use valves.
Depending on the songs I either use:
- a Squier strat I found in a second hand shop between a lot of furniture, which I modded with new pickups, locked the bridge,... and plays now like a boss.
- Jackson RR3 with Seymour Duncans for the heavier stuff
- Epiphone Tony Iommi G-400 SG

Effectwise I use: Boss noise reduction and compressor sustainer, Bad Monkey overdrive, a Korg Ax1500g multi-effect (mainly for the pedal as wah-wah and volume, and the delay effects) and the reverb and chorus from my amp.

I looked around myself and I guess a Vox AC30 would be an option.

Many thanks in advance.
Jaspafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

With that budget, there are quite a few great options. My first advice is to check out Egnater. I have their Vengeance amp, and it covers everything you mentioned and then some. They also have lower-gain and lower-wattage amps, since I assume you want to be able to get some power tube distortion. The Rebel amps (Specifically the Rebel 30) would be another good option. You might need a boost for Thrash stuff, though. The Renegade is another great option. I'm not sure how much the price hike is on those in Europe, though.

Other options would be a Marshall DSL401 although you would probably have to get that used. A Peavey Butcher might be something to consider, although, again, Power Tube Saturation isn't going to be easy to achieve. An Orange Thunderverb is in this price range, although I'm not sure it's what you're looking for. You could also take a look at Jet City stuff, but you can probably do much better with your budget. I'm thinking either the Egnater Renegade or Rebel 30 would be your best choices. The Vengeance is versatile enough to do any of those tones, but you have to really crank it for Power Tube distortion, so you might want to consider the Renegade above it, due to the 18w/65w seletor.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

egnaters are supposedly way overpriced in europe.

Used will get you far better deals.
I'd suggest you look at a Marshall DSL50 head. It's very versatile and should be quite cheap over there. With the money saved you could buy a cabinet for it.

It has great cleans and a vintage-esque drive channel, then the third channel has plenty of gain on tap.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

AC30 with a boost will work fine.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
AC30 with a boost will work fine.

His multieffects can cover the practicing for thrash.

TS, Oasis, the beatles, and many other bands you listed used AC30s. Maybe not Dire Straits but it'll do that juuuust fine. As you don't play thrash in your band this may be the best option because it does all your band's tone perfectly.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Jaspafari

Yes I looked at Egnaters and they are pricey in Europe.
So AC30 looks the most promissing at the moment, and they do looks very nice.

However, a AC30 has 2 speakers instead of a 4x12. Will it be enough to do gigs?

Also, there is the AC30 C2 and AC30 C2x version, a difference of 400 euros for celestion greenback or celestion alnico blues speakers. Is it a huge difference in sound and is it worth the extra money?

Already thanks for your reply's!
Jaspafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Gnomebe

Ac15.
Gnomebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
MistaSnowman
Play it LOUD!!!

MistaSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspafari
Yes I looked at Egnaters and they are pricey in Europe.
So AC30 looks the most promissing at the moment, and they do looks very nice.

However, a AC30 has 2 speakers instead of a 4x12. Will it be enough to do gigs?

Also, there is the AC30 C2 and AC30 C2x version, a difference of 400 euros for celestion greenback or celestion alnico blues speakers. Is it a huge difference in sound and is it worth the extra money?

Already thanks for your reply's!

A 2x12 is plenty enough for a gig. a 1x12 is usually enough for the stuff you're playing. Especially if a PA is involved. I play in a Metal band and use a 2x12, as does our rhythm guitarist. My advice on the speakers is for you to try them and decide that for yourself. A lot of people swear by Greenbacks for any vintage tone, but if you don't hear or like the difference, there's no sense in spending the extra dough.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: