Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
ETHANEVIL
hopeless.

for a good cheep 7er: Ibanez or Schecter?

So I've read numerous times (in different ways) basically the only good good 7 string for a good price is this if you swap out the pickups"

I found this schecter for $100 less and I intend to swap the pickups. Is it essentially as good as the ibanez? I know the necks are different, and supposedly the schecter has a pretty good size neck joint, but that shouldn't bother me considering I don't go that high up that often.

So should I go with the ibanez, or the schecter, or does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
ETHANEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Personally, I'd try to get a used RG7621.

But if you need to choose either of those guitars for some reason, I'd say that the difference in quality isn't that significant. You should play them and see how they feel, because they will feel different. That should be the deciding factor, not price, imo.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

I think the shecter is better. I tried a RG7321 and I just thought it sounded kind of crappy and deffinately wasnt comfortable to play.
I have a AX7221 and its much better IMO than the RG7321 plus its a mahogany body instead of basswood. You can find em used between $150 and $200

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff

Last edited by Darkdevil725 : 10-06-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
ETHANEVIL
hopeless.

^good to know, thanks. I'm leaning a bit towards the schecter anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
ETHANEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Here it's a matter of opinion. PERSONALLY I prefer the 7321 seeing as it's got a nice neck (thin necks are nice on 7s, seeing as they tend to be a bit more comfortable starting off) and is of generally good quality. On the other hand, the Schecter has a longer scale length, which helps keep the low B snappy.

Cons for both: The RG has a 25.5" scale length (though depending on what you're going for this may not be a bad thing) and the stock pickups are pretty bad. The Omen has a gigantic Fender style neck heel (seriously unpleasant to play on the upper frets because of it) and has not-exactly-great stock pickups.
ESP Eclipse II (Lace Finger Burners)
Agile Septor Pro 727 Maple Board (EMG 81-7s)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Eh. Honestly, I wouldn't go for either of those.

I say go for a used LTD MH-417 or Schecter Blackjack/Hellraiser 7.

The heel on the low end Schecters is really horrible.

The bridge on the Ibanez is really horrible (Though the newest RGs have a much nicer bridge).

The Ibanez doesn't have an extended scale.

If the scale doesn't bother you, go for a NEW RG7321 (as seen here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFWThQgodZBAAgg) and get a Gibralter bridge. That old one really just feels awful.

The neck profile is the most important thing overall though. Can you play either?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I really dislike the Schecter Omen series. If you can go a little higher (say, the Damien Elite?) then you're looking at good stuff.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
I really dislike the Schecter Omen series. If you can go a little higher (say, the Damien Elite?) then you're looking at good stuff.

i had no issue with scheter until i refinished one for a friend, it was i think the next model up from the omen line. i don't remember. but once i sanded it down there was a knot in the wood the size of a silver dollar that was smoothed out with tons of filler that is just poor production.

not to say that may not be the case with other manufactures, but i have refinished dozens of guitars and i haven't seen it on anything else, not even an old hondo i bought for $20. i made that one a decoration though and it came with a really nice kahler and a bill lawrence LX500XL, so needless to say the parts are more valuable than the guitar.

but that turned me off to shceters low end guitars. ibanez pickups and cheap bridges are their weak spot as far as tone/construction goes, i own two ibanez pretseige six steringers (owned a schecter several years ago), and i really have to say that you need to play the ibanez in your budget and the schecter, because the neck profiles are insanely different.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
Sledgeman

I would go for an Ibanez but not the RG. The Ibanez S7420 or the older S7320 is the way to got.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Eh. Honestly, I wouldn't go for either of those.

I say go for a used LTD MH-417 or Schecter Blackjack/Hellraiser 7.

The heel on the low end Schecters is really horrible.

The bridge on the Ibanez is really horrible (Though the newest RGs have a much nicer bridge).

The Ibanez doesn't have an extended scale.

If the scale doesn't bother you, go for a NEW RG7321 (as seen here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFWThQgodZBAAgg) and get a Gibralter bridge. That old one really just feels awful.

The neck profile is the most important thing overall though. Can you play either?

Seconding this, but they have EMGs or blackouts neither of which I particularly like.

If he's going for a new 7321 then the bridge is pretty decent.
ESP Eclipse II (Lace Finger Burners)
Agile Septor Pro 727 Maple Board (EMG 81-7s)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
You can't judge Schecter by that one guitar, that's just silly. There are plenty of people that have striped down the low end solid colored Schecters and they are actually very nice looking. Hell even most of there soilid color guitars have binding on them even though they don't have it in the specs.

but considering that i have refinished a dozen other cheap guitars and bodies i haven't seen it on any other. no that isn't all schecters, that would be silly but so is somebody filling a knot with a tablespoon or two worth of wood filler.

who didn't decide to throw away the body? probably less than $10 worth of wood on it in mass production. its an obvious thing to see several people had to see it there and nobody threw it out.

i don't like them personally, i don't care for the general feel, but unbiased was the knot and that shouldn't have gotten out the door of a factory.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
but considering that i have refinished a dozen other cheap guitars and bodies i haven't seen it on any other. no that isn't all schecters, that would be silly but so is somebody filling a knot with a tablespoon or two worth of wood filler.

who didn't decide to throw away the body? probably less than $10 worth of wood on it in mass production. its an obvious thing to see several people had to see it there and nobody threw it out.

i don't like them personally, i don't care for the general feel, but unbiased was the knot and that shouldn't have gotten out the door of a factory.

I know you're speaking from personal experience, and that's good. But I'm willing to bet every manufacturer has had a turd make it to the shelves, besides (possibly) the high-end brands.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I know you're speaking from personal experience, and that's good. But I'm willing to bet every manufacturer has had a turd make it to the shelves, besides (possibly) the high-end brands.

i realize that, but that was point blank. every brand has some better and worse guitars individually, but still for that person to throw that body away or even board before they glued the bodys together. it just bugs me that it is so obvious. if it was the size of a dime i would expect that here and there on a cheap guitar, but not one the size of a silver dollar.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Ippon
Amped

My experiences with Schecter OTOH have been excellent. Some of the Diamond Series C7s were going for silly prices in the used market a while back. I loved the discontinued Ash and Maple caps which came with SDs stock like so, ~$70 from SF CL!

Never experienced a bad Schecter 7 and I went through a lot.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
t1mman

Before you do anything, try em first. The neck is miles apart in those two.

IMHO, I had a Shecter 7 string and hated the neck, felt huge and large and not realy pleasant. But then, I am realy an Ibanez sellout. I dig the slimer neck.

Some loves the thin neck, some hates it. I do love em!
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: