Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
CaptGangbang

New Guitarist Needs Overdrive Advice

Greetings to all of you lovely Ultimate-Guitar types. I'm a drummer who just started playing guitar in a cover band (everything from old Metallica to Weezer to Hootie and the Blowfish -- it's quite a setlist...).

I just bought an Orange Micro Terror that I'm running through a Carvin 4x12. I don't currently have any effects accept for a cheap wah. My main guitar is a Squier Affinity tele (I know, I know...) and my backup is an Agile AL-3100 LP copy. I'm really a drummer, so I'm trying not to invest a whole lot in my guitar rig. I just rehearsed w/ the Orange for the first time today and found it had no problem at all keeping up with our drummer. It sounds great on a lot of our stuff, but some of the more metal songs could use a little more gain.

I'm thinking about buying the Joyo Vintage Overdrive to add a little more crunch when I need a slightly more modern, higher-gain tone. I'm also looking to use it as a volume boost for my astonishingly bad solos. I know the Joyo is supposed to be one of the better Tube Screamer clones, but will it give me what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

Your Friend,

Captain Gangbang
CaptGangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

sure, just run the amp a bit dirty and run that joyo in front of it for some pretty heavy tones

another option is a rat distortion pedal, it would allow you to run your amp more clean and enables some pretty heavy tones

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
CaptGangbang

Yeah, I saw the Rat mentioned in another thread. It looks like its about $100.00 vs $40.00 for the Joyo. Is it worth the extra money? Which do you think would make a better lead boost (for hard rock, mostly)? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGangbang
Yeah, I saw the Rat mentioned in another thread. It looks like its about $100.00 vs $40.00 for the Joyo. Is it worth the extra money? Which do you think would make a better lead boost (for hard rock, mostly)? Thanks.

for harder rock, then i'd go with a rat. i personally use a boutique tube screamer based OD, but i have my own preferences.

he demos a bunch of stuff, but the rat and tubescreamer are in there

i should also mention that i probably wouldn't buy a 'production' distortion or OD pedal made by a big manufacturer (they tend to use parts they can get in bulk to lower costs). most of those circuits are actually pretty simple and you can get a pedal maker on this forum to build you something very nice, with great parts, for what you'd pay for a production model.

you want a tube screamer or rat clone? get matt or tim to make you one, it'll be quite a bit better.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
CaptGangbang

Thanks for posting that video. I'll definitely take a look at the Rat!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Try to find a Keeley modded Rat if you can. Such an improvement.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the joyo is pretty good (killer for the money), but it doens't have a ton of level boost on tap (though running it into the front of an overdriven amp isn't really going to boost your volume anyway), and also (like all tubescreamers) it's very middy- the TT ( i think, from memory) is pretty middy too. Tubescreamers into middy british-voiced amps can sometimes be overkill in terms of the mids, things can get honky pretty quickly.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: