Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Valgoroth

Stewart should've replied "Umad?". It's Bill's only weakness.
Valgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
This so much

I mean, I love Colbert too, but Stewart is way funnier imo.

Also, I may or may not get 95% os my political news from those two shows.

But it's not NEWS it's a COMEDY show. how can you take anything seriously?

seriously though. i used to hear most of the news through Stewart and Colbert. i haven't watched as much over the past two years though because i just end up getting frustrated.

i haven't watched this debate yet, but Bill O Reilley's whole "number 1 best seller" spiel bullshit is old as hell. he was doing it on the Daily Show the other day. he's not as bad as other Fox News pundits, but he still acts like a child.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist

Wow I can't believe Stewart confused the debt for the deficit. That was really dumb of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
purplexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I watched this last night. Stewart clearly had more interest in debating. Bill pretty much just wanted to say what he thinks about things. He was very much "I'm right because" while Stewart was "Here's some facts."

That said, I find the idea that you have to agree with somebody 100% of the time iin order to respect him extremely narrowminded. I agree with O'Reilly maybe ten percent of the time. I don't like his attitude most of the time. But I'm also able to recognize that he's very smart, hardworking, and often willing to do stuff like this, all of which makes me respect him.

It's sad that we can't separate people from politics. How we let political views shape our entire image of a person. When, really, everybody wants the same things out of life. Everybody is more similar than dissimilar. It's time we focused on that instead of differences.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
It's sad that we can't separate people from politics. How we let political views shape our entire image of a person. When, really, everybody wants the same things out of life. Everybody is more similar than dissimilar. It's time we focused on that instead of differences.

Holy shit, this so much. I hate when people do that.

Take George Bush. Do I agree with him most of the time? No. Do I think he was a good president? No. But I would be kidding myself if I wouldn't want to sit down and have a drink with him and talk sports or some shit (I mean, he was a big part of a major league baseball team). He seems like a pretty cool guy imo
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:

People's political stance says a great deal about them.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #27
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

Quote:
That said, I find the idea that you have to agree with somebody 100% of the time iin order to respect him extremely narrowminded. I agree with O'Reilly maybe ten percent of the time. I don't like his attitude most of the time. But I'm also able to recognize that he's very smart, hardworking, and often willing to do stuff like this, all of which makes me respect him.

totally. i don't agree with Stewart 100% of the time (most of the time, maybe) but i still like him because he's funny and doesn't come across like a dick (Bill Mahr).

O'Reilley i agree with probably the same amount as you, but his arrogant, condescending attitude is what makes me dislike him.

i totally agree with that last part too. like Phils said, i do not like George W at all and disagree with probably everything he's said and done, but i'd still shake his hand and show some respect if i met him. i couldn't believe when parents were all up in arms over Obama coming to visit schools. it's the President of your own country. do you want to deprive your child of an opportunity to meet him?

(i've also got a lot of respect for Bush when i saw him in an interview where he said he doesn't like to publicly speak about what Obama's doing as president because it's disrespectful and undermines what he's trying to do. unlike Cheney.)
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Was there ever any doubt about it?

EDIT: For anybody still trying to decide why Stewart is any different than O'Reilly, Stewart is a comedian. His agenda is to be funny. If liberals do something stupid, he picks on them, but the simple fact of the matter is that republicans tend to say a lot more stupid shit, and thus he rips on them primarily.
O'Reilly is a political propagandist. He lies and intentionally misinterprets and edits things in such a way as to push his own conservative political agenda, and people believe him. People don't watch John Stewart and think "Dammit, he's right! Conservatives ARE the enemy!", they think "Hah, he's right, that was fucking stupid of that person."

Meh, yes there is a difference between them but Stewart still has a little bit of bias. While I wouldn't say he's actively pushing an agenda, you can tell sometimes that he believes what he says beyond being funny. I think Colbert is funnier also cause it's straight up satire.

And I think your assessment of O'Reilly is wrong. He is a often a douche and condescending and cuts off his guests. But you're calling him Glenn Beck, and Glenn Beck he is not. O'Reilly most often does give the facts. He'll say his stupid shit after that and I disagree with him usually, but he is one of the decent hosts on Fox News. It probably pains him, but he tries really hard to not be biased in his actual deliverance of the news since he criticizes the liberal news sources for doing so all the time. He does try and push his agenda, but he does a really good job of not letting that delegitimize him delivering the facts. And he usually will have people who disagree with the conservative viewpoint on his show to counter it, so I don't have a problem with O'Reilly. In other words, I agree with Element.

Hannity on the other hand, jesus christ...
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
willT08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart

I'm with you. Again. We should stop doing this.

For example, if a guy goes to me "Oh yeah, I'm a BNP supporter" I don't respond with "Oh well, y'know, it's just his politics let's give him a chance". I immediately walk away from the dude and never speak to him again ever.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #30
)v(egaFan90
donkey chains......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer

And to show that bad pictures happen to everyone:

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
)v(egaFan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
I'm with you. Again. We should stop doing this.

For example, if a guy goes to me "Oh yeah, I'm a BNP supporter" I don't respond with "Oh well, y'know, it's just his politics let's give him a chance". I immediately walk away from the dude and never speak to him again ever.

Great minds think alike, so I guess us idiots stand a chance of sharing opinions too.

But indeed, what somebody thinks with regards to how to improve society is clearly a huge giveaway as to their general self.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
This so much

I mean, I love Colbert too, but Stewart is way funnier imo.

Seriously... Colbert's shtick gets old pretty fast. I still enjoy it and everything, but "Hurr I'm a right-wing political pundit!" can only carry a show so far.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
Eastwinn
entscheidungsproblem

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
Seriously... Colbert's shtick gets old pretty fast. I still enjoy it and everything, but "Hurr I'm a right-wing political pundit!" can only carry a show so far.

he cracks some great jokes in the process though, even if his act has gotten stale.

edit: i always skip the interviews with colbert. he interupts a lot (i guess it's part of his character, lol) and rarely is anything interesting said. i watch stewart's because half the time the person being interviewed is cool.

Last edited by Eastwinn : 10-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Tonganation
UG's AIC Fanatic

Can't stand Bill O'Reilly. The way he holds himself on his show is despicable and this debate was no different in that regard. What the **** was up with him and the visual aids in the debate? I can't believe he was that patronizing toward the audience.
Tonganation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:

But, in fairness, not nearly everything. I've known amazing people who've believed some stuff I really wouldn't agree with on any level.

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #36
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
But, in fairness, not nearly everything. I've known amazing people who've believed some stuff I really wouldn't agree with on any level.

Well clearly. I mean I adore the work of Wagner but he was a deeply disgusting man. But generally what people think about politics, foreign affairs, religion and art can tell you quite a lot about them. Of course it's not a good thing to base a full character judgement on, but if I meet somebody who is a member of UKIP who thinks that we should nuke the Middle East and that Christopher Marlowe was an awful writer is someone with whom I don't really want to share a room.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
Ippon
Amped

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Well clearly. I mean I adore the work of Wagner but he was a deeply disgusting man. But generally what people think about politics, foreign affairs, religion and art can tell you quite a lot about them. Of course it's not a good thing to base a full character judgement on, but if I meet somebody who is a member of UKIP who thinks that we should nuke the Middle East and that Christopher Marlowe was an awful writer is someone with whom I don't really want to share a room.
So basically you're agreeing with me.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #39
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon

Lol! Hot dogs look like penes! And she's a woman! xD
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #40
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
So basically you're agreeing with me.

No, I was merely offering an olive branch to the insignificant minority of intelligent racists.

Rate This Thread: