Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
eGraham
Logjammin'

I liked this debate. O'Reilly and Stewart are both big icons for their respective sides to the younger generation, and it's good that they can come together and debate respectfully and honestly. It shows that maybe there is a shred of hope for the future of American politics.

I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

I mainly agreed with Jon Stewart. O'Reilly either has bad shit crazy or decent points.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #43
Duce180

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Why hasn't someone murdered Bill O'Reilly yet, that level of derptardation is well.. as a person, he's not someone people should take any form of advice from. Or take anything seriously if it comes out of his mouth.

Yeah, only a ****** could get a masters degree at harvard... Just because you disagree with someones political views does not make someone a ******, or worthy of being murdered, grow up.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

O'Reilly actually surprised me in how centrist he was (in the context of the American political landscape, anyway).

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
Gyroscope
UG Senior Member

For you Canadians, is there any truth to his statement about not being able to get surgery in Canada? Any criticism you hear about Canada's healthcare is always about the quality of it, but I've never actually seen any examples. I have however seen many examples of how the American healthcare system is a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonganation
Can't stand Bill O'Reilly. The way he holds himself on his show is despicable and this debate was no different in that regard. What the **** was up with him and the visual aids in the debate? I can't believe he was that patronizing toward the audience.

I agree. I think the reason why people don't respect him is not so much because they disagree with him, but he has no etiquette at all when it comes to debates and discussion. He is always very rude to his guests that he doesn't agree with.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Gyroscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #46
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Ok so I finally watched it. Why the hell does Bill have the most patronising cards? How can anyone take him seriously if that's how he acts in debates? And then there's his fact denying. I don't want to bum Stewart despite liking him as a presenter, but he brought up some things that Bill had no answer for.

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscope
For you Canadians, is there any truth to his statement about not being able to get surgery in Canada? Any criticism you hear about Canada's healthcare is always about the quality of it, but I've never actually seen any examples. I have however seen many examples of how the American healthcare system is a failure.

It's no where near as bad as most right wing Americans would have you believe. Most people that need surgery/treatments get it. Mostly people go to the states for faster treatment or for elective surgery. Don't get me wrong, it's broken and hemorrhages money, but I'd take the worst universal healthcare over the best privatized healthcare any day.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #48
bradulator
through being cool

I think Bill was being tongue-in-cheek, acknowledging that the debate wasn't really supposed to be super serious.

And if you're going to criticize Bill for being patronizing in that way, then you can certainly make a case that Stewart was too.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #49
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
I think Bill was being tongue-in-cheek, acknowledging that the debate wasn't really supposed to be super serious.

And if you're going to criticize Bill for being patronizing in that way, then you can certainly make a case that Stewart was too.

But he just came across as a wanker

Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #50
TooktheAtrain
Banned

There's this weird, creepy vibe I get from O'reilly, and I can't say that of any other media personality.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #51
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin

I think Jon Stewart thinks he's funnier than he is. Half of his show is him pausing too long for comedic effect. Not to mention a lot his segments straight up suck, especially when he involves John Oliver and what not.

I think this debate was ruined by the fact that Stewart's studio audience rocked up. It was like a pantomime where all the kids boo when the witch sneaks up on the hero.
spitonastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #52
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitonastranger
I think Jon Stewart thinks he's funnier than he is. Half of his show is him pausing too long for comedic effect. Not to mention a lot his segments straight up suck, especially when he involves John Oliver and what not.

I think this debate was ruined by the fact that Stewart's studio audience rocked up. It was like a pantomime where all the kids boo when the witch sneaks up on the hero.

Or maybe it's just because that he represents the views of the majority of the younger generation who made up more of the audience than wealthy middle class/upper class adults who probably agree with Bill more.

When Bill made legitimate points the audience applauded.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #53
jakesmellspoo
BrBa Survivor's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitonastranger

what's wrong with John Oliver?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #54
bradulator
through being cool

Stewart should decide when he wants to be a comedian and when he wants to be a srs analyst though.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #55
EC_AL_JH_GH

I'm still convinced that O'Reilly is... kind of joking with his character. At least, that's my opinion of watching the video. At least both of them were amusing. Also, I laughed really hard at the whole bulls*it mountain schtick.
EC_AL_JH_GH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #56
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
There's this weird, creepy vibe I get from O'reilly, and I can't say that of any other media personality.

i get this feeling in a strong way whenever he tries to crack wise. like a grandpa trying really hard to be hip and edgy...to appeal to his grandchildren.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #57
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

In defence of Colbert, he makes a really good showman as interviewer and interviewee just not very good shows. Jon Stewart, not so much
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #58
TheEternalJew
Banned

This kind of symbolized why America is the way it is. Noone can agree on anything and there is no conclusion to the debating, then again I guess it's up to the voters to draw conclusions from this kind of thing. Not that their thoughts on most issues matter anyway.
TheEternalJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #59
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

It was nice to see someone actually talk over Bill for once. I was pretty surprised by both of them, but then I don't watch either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
People's political stance says a great deal about them.

No, it really does not.

Last edited by Skynyrd890 : 10-08-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #60
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalJew
This kind of symbolized why America is the way it is. Noone can agree on anything and there is no conclusion to the debating, then again I guess it's up to the voters to draw conclusions from this kind of thing. Not that their thoughts on most issues matter anyway.

Americas major (effectively only) political parties agree almost entirely on heaps of stuff, most of the important stuff in my opinion.

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: