Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man
 
95thFallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Aux pedal for guitar

Hey guys a common feature on most new digital amps is an auxiliary in which I use to have on my line 6 but on my Marshall I really miss this feature. Besides multi fx pedals is their anything more stomp box style that I could use through the fx loop? Thanks
95thFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95thFallout
Hey guys a common feature on most new digital amps is an auxiliary in which I use to have on my line 6 but on my Marshall I really miss this feature. Besides multi fx pedals is their anything more stomp box style that I could use through the fx loop? Thanks


i am a bit confused here... you miss your 'aux in' and you want to know what you can use through your effects loop?

i am sorry you miss you aux in, you can plug just about any guitar pedal through your effects loop. i feel that doesn't really answer your question though.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man
 
95thFallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Let me clarify, I'm saying is their any stomp box style pedal that I can plug into my amps fx loop that allows me to connect my iPod (ie auxiliary in). The reason I said fx loop is just cause I wanted to assure everyone my amp had one others wise the amps preamp would affect the aux signal.
95thFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
no you can't do that with a tube amp with guitar amp speakers.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man
 
95thFallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
no you can't do that with a tube amp with guitar amp speakers.

I stand to disagree I tried it with my boss me20 through the FX loop and it worked fine I just don't wanna drag around a multi fx pedal on my board for the aux in, plus I'm looking to sell it anyways.
95thFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
IbanezBossShred
AxeMann
 
IbanezBossShred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co. USA
Talking

Yes, there are pedals that will enable you to do that. The only one I have personal knowledge of is the Boss RC-3 Looper. It has an Aux input that I use to feed in MP3's and such from both my MP3 player and my computer. I would assume there are other pedals as well, I just don't know which....
IbanezBossShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man
 
95thFallout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezBossShred
Yes, there are pedals that will enable you to do that. The only one I have personal knowledge of is the Boss RC-3 Looper. It has an Aux input that I use to feed in MP3's and such from both my MP3 player and my computer. I would assume there are other pedals as well, I just don't know which....

OK thats a start thanks anyone else have any knowledge of other pedals like this but perhaps with a different feature
95thFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
no you can't do that with a tube amp with guitar amp speakers.


noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95thFallout
Let me clarify, I'm saying is their any stomp box style pedal that I can plug into my amps fx loop that allows me to connect my iPod (ie auxiliary in). The reason I said fx loop is just cause I wanted to assure everyone my amp had one others wise the amps preamp would affect the aux signal.


oh. sure. you could use an a/b/y box for that if nothing else (one of those a/b/y boxes that can be used to split input or output).



you probably need a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS converter to plug the mp3 player into the a/b/y pedal.

i am sure you already know how bad hifi sounds with guitar speakers/amps, so i don't feel i need to tell you it won't sound very good (but i did anyway)
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-06-2012 at 09:54 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
noob



oh. sure. you could use an a/b/y box for that if nothing else (one of those a/b/y boxes that can be used to split input or output).



you probably need a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS converter to plug the mp3 player into the a/b/y pedal.


that's a good thing to do to your speakers.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
that's [not] a good thing to do to your speakers.


fixed: just because some people don't read between the lines with you. i am getting fluent in Min.

as long as he isn't using a huge amount of bass in the music, and he is not running the volume too hard then i don't see the problem.

really, guitar speakers are much more likely to burn out a voice coil than to damage the suspension from over-excursion because the voice coil doesn't extend beyond the air gap.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
IbanezBossShred
AxeMann
 
IbanezBossShred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, Co. USA
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
really, guitar speakers are much more likely to burn out a voice coil than to damage the suspension from over-excursion because the voice coil doesn't extend beyond the air gap.



Guitar nerd!




IbanezBossShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Be careful you don't destroy the crystal lettuce and damage the fragile harmonics.
Guitar speaker's aren't full range, so the amount of bass present in a full band mix could destroy them. They could cause the crystal lettuce in the speakers to rip apart, and shatter the fragile harmonics that give guitar speakers their mojo.
You could also wear out the mids coil, where all of the haunting mids comes from, which will leave you with a scooped tone with no way to fix it short of buying new speakers.

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 10-07-2012 at 05:58 PM.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
You could do it with a little line mixer, a baby 4 channel would do but anything with at least 3 really. Channel 1 of the mixer you feed in the FX send from the amp; two other channels get your mp3 player's L&R both panned to the centre (panned to whichever output you are using actually. If it's a mono mixer no panning needed). Output of the mixer goes into the amp's FX return. Adjust levels for unity on channel 1 and then any cut you need to make on the music stream and you're off and racing.
Bada bing bada boom - job done.

If it's staying at home you could even get away with one of these:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX400.aspx
$50 or so from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...t=619&_from=R40
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 10-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.