Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
SamuraiSeven
Registered User
 
SamuraiSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
How to get started as a Solo Musician?

Based on what most people say it is not easy being a musician, that seems to be the advice I get most of the time. People also say I play well, and enjoy hearing me sing and play.
Can I make 400 a month to start off? I write a lot, as well. I can post a sample if it b=is necessary for you to make that judgement.
SamuraiSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
play music solo

play for people for a month

how much did you make

that's how much you can make in a month to start off

i think you're missing the point. the whole thing about it being hard to be a musician is because it's inconsistent and you're not gonna get a reliable paycheck, benefits, or anything you don't work for. i work at a damn gas station and i make more than i would if i were geared and playing around the scene, especially pre-tour and pre-fanbase.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
SamuraiSeven
Registered User
 
SamuraiSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
play music solo

play for people for a month

how much did you make

that's how much you can make in a month to start off

i think you're missing the point. the whole thing about it being hard to be a musician is because it's inconsistent and you're not gonna get a reliable paycheck, benefits, or anything you don't work for. i work at a damn gas station and i make more than i would if i were geared and playing around the scene, especially pre-tour and pre-fanbase.


What if you think you can make it? I sing very well, my playing is up to par. Do I need to move to a scene?
SamuraiSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
strat335
Dreeeeeeeeeam Weaver!
 
strat335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
You have to really build up a network and meet as many people as possible- bar managers, event promoters, and musicians. Get high quality, well produced recordings of your own material as well as cover songs. Get some business cards, start a website, and establish a web presence with social media.

Learn as many songs as possible, not just ones that you like. Use a 3 ring binder to store lead sheets and lyrics. Start by playing open mic nights to build your network and go from there. Good luck!
strat335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!
 
Vlasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hatfield, PA
$400 per month through only performance? If you're an agreeable person (this matters more than your music, so long as your music is acceptable enough), getting $400 by dedicating all your time to advertising and spreading the word for your service shouldn't be a problem. If you have other commitments and are working around a schedule it could be a lot more difficult.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
SamuraiSeven
Registered User
 
SamuraiSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat335
You have to really build up a network and meet as many people as possible- bar managers, event promoters, and musicians. Get high quality, well produced recordings of your own material as well as cover songs. Get some business cards, start a website, and establish a web presence with social media.

Learn as many songs as possible, not just ones that you like. Use a 3 ring binder to store lead sheets and lyrics. Start by playing open mic nights to build your network and go from there. Good luck!


Its just hard for me to focus because I am add, well an ENFp.
SamuraiSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
strat335
Dreeeeeeeeeam Weaver!
 
strat335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
^ despite your personality type, if you want to make money playing music you have to learn A LOT of music. You don't need to memorize it, as long as you can play it through with few mistakes, you'll become better with each performance.

If you're underage you will have a harder time earning money playing music- if there are open mics in your area go to a few and watch. Then start to perform and get comfortable with it. After a while you'll probably notice the same people going every week. Talk to them, become their friends, and get to know them. Every possible contact you meet may get you your next gig.
strat335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
 
AlanHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSeven
Based on what most people say it is not easy being a musician, that seems to be the advice I get most of the time. People also say I play well, and enjoy hearing me sing and play.
Can I make 400 a month to start off? I write a lot, as well. I can post a sample if it b=is necessary for you to make that judgement.


$400/month, say weekly performances that pay $100 each. I'd say thats obtainable, but you have to work up your contacts for a while first.
__________________
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
AlanHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.