Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Low Man's Lyric

Become a high school music teacher?

What kind of education/knowledge would a regular music teacher in a high school require?

I live in Finland, by the way.

Last edited by Low Man's Lyric : 05-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Low Man's Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
danresn

In australia you can either do a degree in education, majoring in music or a degree in music (3 years) with a postgraduate in education (1 year). Both take 4 years.
danresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Low Man's Lyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by danresn
In australia you can either do a degree in education, majoring in music or a degree in music (3 years) with a postgraduate in education (1 year). Both take 4 years.

That sounds reasonable enough, although I live in Finland.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Judging from the music education I got, it can't be too hard.

Seriously though, it usually requires a music degree and a teaching degree/certificate. It will vary depending on where you live.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I don't know about Finland, but I can tell you about Canada, which is similar to the USA, which I don't think Finland is going to be that different from.

I'm a certified teacher here in Canada (Ontario), and my main teachable area is music.

First:

Honours degree in music. This is a four-year course that requires an audition to enter at the university level. These will typically be classical or jazz programs. Expect the audition to require a high level of playing (like Royal Conservatory training, grade 8-10... closer to 10), along with a theory test and an ear exam and some sight reading.

During your degree, you will, among other things, take instructional methods courses for woodwinds, brass, vocal, percussion, etc.

Then you will apply to teachers' college. The information on paper might say that you will need a minimum of a three-year BA, but around here..... it is as hard to get into a teachers' college in Ontario as it is to get into med school or law school. Seriously. That's why a lot of Ontario students get their teaching credentials from foreign institutions. So... nothing less than a 4-year degree (even at the foreign institutions) will get you in. Expect to have excellent marks and a good range of teaching experience to include with your teachers' college application.

Once you finish teachers' college, you get your B. Ed. which qualifies you for a teaching certificate.

Right now, the job market is DEAD for teachers. DEAD. DEAD. The people who do get jobs are the ones who have been supply teaching for four-five years. Other than that, only about 15% of graduates from any given year get even part time positions. That sort of thing. But the pendulum always swings, and the door will open again.

That's the short form version of how to become a teacher in Canada.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Muffinz

Well I don't really know 100% about this subject, but I'm guessing you would have to go to Sibelius for this kind of education, I don't think I've heard of any other school that gives music education after "gymnasiet" (yeah, my Finnish has gone to sh*t recently since I've started working in an Finnish-Swedish environment..). Anyways I have a friend that tried to get into Sibelius, but didn't make it and he's really quite skilled so it's not gonna be a walk in the park. The "course" at Sibelius would probably be "Musikpedagogik".
Anyways, doesn't your school have a person that you can talk with about stuff like this? You should really do that, since this is just the reflected words of a friend, heavily distorted..

Last edited by Muffinz : 05-25-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Muffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Dont forget you also need a quirky little goatee or something.... and a permanently quizzical eyebrow helps...
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Gatecrasher53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Dont forget you also need a quirky little goatee or something.... and a permanently quizzical eyebrow helps...

+1
Gatecrasher53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Low Man's Lyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinz
Well I don't really know 100% about this subject, but I'm guessing you would have to go to Sibelius for this kind of education, I don't think I've heard of any other school that gives music education after "gymnasiet" (yeah, my Finnish has gone to sh*t recently since I've started working in an Finnish-Swedish environment..). Anyways I have a friend that tried to get into Sibelius, but didn't make it and he's really quite skilled so it's not gonna be a walk in the park. The "course" at Sibelius would probably be "Musikpedagogik".
Anyways, doesn't your school have a person that you can talk with about stuff like this? You should really do that, since this is just the reflected words of a friend, heavily distorted..

I talked to my old music teacher and she said I should, as you said, go to the Sibelius academy and study "musikpedagogik". She talked about me having to know how to direct an orchestra, play drums and percussion instruments and so on, and having a "head instrument" such as guitar or piano or something.
So at the age of 17 I'm planning on taking up the drums and keys. I've started taking singing lessons and my first one was today (7th of October 2012). I'm saving up for electric drums and a keyboard.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Learn to play the piano and sing. I think those are the most important things. At least our music classes are just singing and playing some instruments. You must be able to play and sing at the same time well. Also get acquainted with all music styles, especially Finnish popular music ('60s-today) because that's what you are going to sing the most.

I don't really know that much about it, I based my information on what we do at our music classes.

Our music teacher also leads our school's orchestra and choir.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-07-2012 at 09:41 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Low Man's Lyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Learn to play the piano and sing. I think those are the most important things. At least our music classes are just singing and playing some instruments. You must be able to play and sing at the same time well. Also get acquainted with all music styles, especially Finnish popular music ('60s-today) because that's what you are going to sing the most.

I don't really know that much about it, I based my information on what we do at our music classes.

Our music teacher also leads our school's orchestra and choir.

Yeah, that sounds about right. In my music classes I've been on we have sung more music from outside Finland than Finnish music, but I guess I'll find out what I need to know later on.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Man's Lyric
Yeah, that sounds about right. In my music classes I've been on we have sung more music from outside Finland than Finnish music, but I guess I'll find out what I need to know later on.

Yes but many of the songs have also had lyrics translated into Finnish and that's what I meant. I mean, Finnish pop is partly based on translated songs. But of course we sing some songs in English. Most of they are in Finnish though. And some of them we sing in both English and Finnish (some verses are in Finnish and some are in English).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Captaincranky

Are we talking about being a music teacher in the USA?

'Cause that sounds like a job which would be first at the scene of the next accident. Er, I mean "budget cut"...

On a less somber note, you'll need a masters, minimum ! (?)

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350

+1
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: