Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
codbl4l

Need help with custom guitar form

I'm filling out a form for a custom ESP LTD guitar, and want a guitar that can mimic those high harmonics that Dimebag Darrel can do(I know the technique, but my current guitar is lacking).

The order form is at http://www.espguitars.com/ESP-CustomOrder-2012.pdf.

I'm familiar with some of it, but a lot of it is just downright confusing to me.

Can someone give me an explanation for 'Neck pickup', 'Middle pickup', 'Bridge pickup'(I know what pickups are, but it's not a drop-down menu, I have to type something in. What do I type in?), 'Mounting ring', 'Truss Rod Cover', 'Control Pattern', 'Control wiring', and 'String guage'?

Also, does nut type and inlay material make a difference?
codbl4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

With the pickups I would assume that you choose your brand (EMG or SD) and then type in toe model and configuration into the separate boxes. The mounting ring is what goes around pickups (commonly humbuckers) and is usually a rectangle. They're on most Les Pauls if you want to have a look. The truss rod cover is on the head stock and is a vaguely triangular piece of plastic/metal/wood that covers the truss rod opening and is removed for adjustment. I assume control pattern might be to do with how you want the switches and knobs to look cosmetically while control wiring is how you want them to function (this is purely a guess) and string gauge is what thickness strings the guitar is set up for when it leaves the factory. This can be changed.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
SerpentineGtars
UK Guitar Maker

Are you really ready to commit to a custom build if you don't know what difference is between "neck", "middle" and "bridge" pickups?

Clue: you know what part of the guitar is the neck and bridge, yes? Look at a Fender Strat... three pickups; one at the neck, one at the bridge and one in the middle
SerpentineGtars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Inlay material would be a cosmetic thing.
Nut type will make a big difference if you're looking for Dimebag-esque sounds, because you'll need a locking nut to go with your locking trem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by codbl4l
those high harmonics that Dimebag Darrel can do

Could do.........

You don't need a custom guitar to do squeals like Dime. Simply the right technique, along with a floyd equipped guitar, preferably with high output pickups.

Plenty of guitars fit that criteria.

No use to blow all that cash on a custom. Especially if you aren't familiar enough with guitar to know what pickups go where.

You need to have an idea of what you want before you buy. Wood type, pickup type, bridge preference, scale length, etc.

Different people like different things. Only through playing and experience will you learn what works best and sounds best for you. Until you know exactly what you want in a guitar, I'd move away from a custom shop.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
xicetraex
Who's cooler than ice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler Amps
Could do.........

You don't need a custom guitar to do squeals like Dime. Simply the right technique, along with a floyd equipped guitar, preferably with high output pickups.

Plenty of guitars fit that criteria.

No use to blow all that cash on a custom. Especially if you aren't familiar enough with guitar to know what pickups go where.

You need to have an idea of what you want before you buy. Wood type, pickup type, bridge preference, scale length, etc.

Different people like different things. Only through playing and experience will you learn what works best and sounds best for you. Until you know exactly what you want in a guitar, I'd move away from a custom shop.

I would highly recommend heeding this advice.
xicetraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
mtshark
is the bees knees

If you don't know which pickup is the bridge and neck pickup you don't need to be ordering a custom guitar...
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
codbl4l

After taking a quick look at my Fender, I feel really stupid for asking about the pickups, since it's actually pretty obvious. I just never took to heart that they had different names. Anyway, even if I shouldn't get a custom guitar(to get the Dimebag sound), it's still good to know how to order one, right?
codbl4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Are you even aware that a custom ESP will cost like $3000?
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Jason Jillard
Luthier

you should go with a smaller luthier who can make something better, for around the same price, and walk you through every choice, step and design element.

just saying.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Spaztikko

For the love of god it's not a dimebag sound, its a pinch harmonic.

The reason you suck at them isn't because of your guitar, its because you suck. You rectify your suck-ness through practice, not by purchasing bloody expensive gear. Go practice pinch harmonics. The reason you aren't getting them on your strat is because:

a) You suck at them. This is true, regardless of b, unless you practice. Which you haven't yet.

Possibly as well as:

b) You haven't set your guitar up right. This includes pickup height, of which strats need to be done, like all other guitars.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
For the love of god it's not a dimebag sound, its a pinch harmonic.

The reason you suck at them isn't because of your guitar, its because you suck. You rectify your suck-ness through practice, not by purchasing bloody expensive gear. Go practice pinch harmonics. The reason you aren't getting them on your strat is because:

a) You suck at them. This is true, regardless of b, unless you practice. Which you haven't yet.

Possibly as well as:

b) You haven't set your guitar up right. This includes pickup height, of which strats need to be done, like all other guitars.

This is a much better idea than spending stupid amounts of money on a custom guitar. But don't worry TS, I suck at pinch harmonics too. He's not just being mean for the sake of it, he actually has a point.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

he's just messing around with the form u guys.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
valennic
No longer Adam West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Are you even aware that a custom ESP will cost like $3000?

Aww, aren't you just the little optimist!

ESP Customs will run a LOT higher than that with the right specs. That's a company well renwoned for its quality, 3k may be a low estimate as far as they go. Minus runs and such.

TS: Just practice. Seriously. Shelling out that much cash to get pinch harmonics is just...stupid.

As far as the form goes, google up a layout of a guitar. It'll help you out.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
he's just messing around with the form u guys.

No, he's not, look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codbl4l
I'm filling out a form for a custom ESP LTD guitar, and want a guitar that can mimic those high harmonics that Dimebag Darrel can do(I know the technique, but my current guitar is lacking).

So, he sucks at pinch harmonics (seriously, stop being ****ing ******ed and calling them dime squeals. He was a shit guitarist and its good he's dead so he can't make more bad things. (Good, blatantly controversial and opinionated statement made, moving on).

His solution, instead of setting his guitar and amp properly ie higher gain, pups closer to the strings, learning where the harmonic nodes are etc, he chooses to go out and get a custom guitar. ESP custom shops can cost 20 grand in some cases. Yeah, really smart.

He's not having fun with the form, because this is the core of his post.

TS, just practice them.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

While I don't agree with Dimebag being a totally shit guitarist (not the best, nor my favorite), he speaks the truth.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
No, he's not, look:

So, he sucks at pinch harmonics (seriously, stop being ****ing ******ed and calling them dime squeals. He was a shit guitarist and its good he's dead so he can't make more bad things. (Good, blatantly controversial and opinionated statement made, moving on).

His solution, instead of setting his guitar and amp properly ie higher gain, pups closer to the strings, learning where the harmonic nodes are etc, he chooses to go out and get a custom guitar. ESP custom shops can cost 20 grand in some cases. Yeah, really smart.

He's not having fun with the form, because this is the core of his post.

TS, just practice them.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
So, he sucks at pinch harmonics (seriously, stop being ****ing ******ed and calling them dime squeals. He was a shit guitarist and its good he's dead so he can't make more bad things.

You're glad someone is dead because you think they were a bad guitarist?

Not only are you an a$$hole but you are even stupider than you are implying the TS to be.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
cooper1965

Quote:
No, he's not, look:

TS, just practice them.

You sir are an idiot. What's even funnier is that one of your favorite guitarists is van halen, these two guitarists have so many similarities. I challenge you to pick just one, any one of dimebags solo's and nail it dead on since he sucks so bad. You may even learn something when start to notice very similar patterns and techniques, if you are a van halen fan.

To the TS. Although it is true you can get harmonic screams from any guitar with a floyd (even without floyd and a different technique), to help really make the sound more agressive, you need:
-great technique
-bill and becky bridge p/u
-correct amp/effects, and settings
-floyd (for most of his squeels)
-more technique

Last edited by cooper1965 : 10-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
Spaztikko

You all took the bait. I'm laughing.
But still he's terrible.

Rate This Thread: