Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Eggmaster2029

Question Help -- Barre shape in Tommy Emmanuel song -- On the verge of giving up on guitar

Typically in an A-Shape barre chord you have will barre the fifth and first string and then hold down the other 3 with your other fingers. Alternatively, you can mute the sixth and first and just use your index and ring fingers to double barre the chord.

So for method 1, B chord.

x24442

And method 2, B chord. (as I learned from JustinSanderCoe)

x2444x

HOWEVER, I am having incredible trouble with a certain part of a song written by Tommy Emmanuel (the song is Miyazaki's dream, the "certain part" is the chorus). I have worked well through most, but then this awkward shape arrived.

x 8 10 10 10 10

This means I have to barre down all four of those with my ring finger. But wait, it gets more awkward.

Then I have to do a hammer on/pull off with my pinky on the 1st string, whilst holding down the chord.

What usually happens here is that the barre dies, the pinky fails and my mind explodes all simultaneously.

So I ask, what can you guys tell me to help me get around this awkward part of the
song with the awkwardly shaped chord? I've really nothing else to turn to.

I am on the verge of giving up on guitar; this has been frustrating me for weeks.

Thanks

Last edited by Eggmaster2029 : 10-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Eggmaster2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
derek8520

I usually play those types of chords with just my first finger and my pinky, and i'm able to keep the top string ringing.

I just tryed that bit you're having trouble with and i played it with my first finger barring the 8th fret, my third finger barring the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings on the tenth fret and i was still able to use my pinky to hammer on/pull off the top string.
So i'd say just keep practicing, try moving your hand/fingers around slightly until you get it.

Most importantly, don't give up. It is possible.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Eggmaster2029

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
I usually play those types of chords with just my first finger and my pinky, and i'm able to keep the top string ringing.

I just tryed that bit you're having trouble with and i played it with my first finger barring the 8th fret, my third finger barring the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings on the tenth fret and i was still able to use my pinky to hammer on/pull off the top string.
So i'd say just keep practicing, try moving your hand/fingers around slightly until you get it.

Most importantly, don't give up. It is possible.

I forgot to mention that the pinky hammer/pull off was 2 frets above the finger, just wondering if it's actually possible to have too small of a hand to play it? That'd be really frustrating.

It may just be a problem with the strength in my ring finger after all; I barely do those kinds of barre chords anyway. However, any other tips would be much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Viban
UG's resident bum

There are exercises for reach somewhere in this subforum, look at the stickies.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmaster2029
I forgot to mention that the pinky hammer/pull off was 2 frets above the finger

Ah, well that is much more difficult than what i thought you meant.
I can play it if i use my 3rd finger on the top three strings on the 10th fret, with my 2nd finger on the fourth string. Leaving my pinky to hammer on the 12th fret of the top string.

Also, bare in mind that Tommy Emmanuel is a great player, none of his stuff will be easy to play. Good luck
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Eggmaster2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Ah, well that is much more difficult than what i thought you meant.
I can play it if i use my 3rd finger on the top three strings on the 10th fret, with my 2nd finger on the fourth string. Leaving my pinky to hammer on the 12th fret of the top string.

Also, bare in mind that Tommy Emmanuel is a great player, none of his stuff will be easy to play. Good luck

I'm used to going through songs slowly, and I was going through this song rather fast but whether I'm succeeding fast or slow, I always get really annoyed by these roadblock moments. :/

Thanks for all your help.

However I still find the pinky pull off/hammer on thing impossible, as I've flattened my ring finger across the top four strings, my pinky just cannot comfortably hammer on and pull off, since it isn't able to get a good angle to do so. :/

Last edited by Eggmaster2029 : 10-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Rate This Thread: