Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Ragalshnagal

Picking help ~

I need some help. I'm using a medium pick btw.

The one way I can actually play using a pick is the most painful to me. Say I'm about to strum the guitar - my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, ALWAYS hit the strings below, and it hurts.

I can't play with sticking those fingers out for some reason. I never hit the strings right and it just feels weird.

Not only that, but I can only play lower on the guitar body. I can't play in the middle where everyone usually plays. If I do, I end up skipping a string, hitting an extra, or not hitting any at all.

And for some reason, when I strum with the pick, the pick likes to get stuck in between the strings.
Ragalshnagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
krypticguitar87
thats that...

tilt you hand so that your pinky is away from the guitar, now curl in your middle, ring, and pinky making a fist with them. now ever so slightly extend your index and thumb while holding the pick that should stop them from hitting the strings... however you should also work on extending those fingers, it makes it much easier for hybrid picking that way, or if you want to quickly tap something you have your middle finger ready for it which makes it easier to smoothly go from picking to simple tapping and back to picking....
krypticguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
Chrissy757

That was a good explanation, I've heard a really easy way to hold a pick is to make a closed fist with your strumming hand and insert the pick between your thumb around the knuckle and top of your index finger when it's curled over. Could it be possible your guitar is too big or small for your body type making it harder to strum in the right spot?
Chrissy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Ragalshnagal

bump over a year later, having the same problem, starting to play again!
Ragalshnagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: