Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
AJlies

Advice on cheap guitars: Ibanez vs Schecter

Hi guys. I need a new guitar and can't spend too much money on it. I recently found a store which offers a couple of guitars I've been considering. One of them is the Ibanez szr520, the other one being a Schecter Demon 6. Each of them for about 250 (325 USD approximately). I've been playing for 4 or 5 years, mainly metal and rock, but I need a clean acoustic tone too appart from the typical heavy sound required for those genres. I use my guitar mainly for recording at home, sometimes to play live too.

So I have a the typical questions. Is any of those guitars worth the price? Which one is the best choice? Is there any better option within that budget?

I'd be happy if you guys answer soon enough since those guitars won't be in the store for long - the Ibanez is the last one in stock and it's a discontinued model.

Thanks in advance.
AJlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Ibanez is good but if I had to choose between the two as just brands I would say schecter. So it means something when I say that SZR520 is worth it and in my opinion a superior guitar in every way compared to the demon 6.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
OliveG

Are you going for the two humbuckers configuration? Or would you consider HSS? Since you said you need a clean acoustic tone (I assume you don't mean from a piezo?), I'd think that you'd want an HSS configuration. $325 is your budget? I would say for that price go used, you can get guitars that retail at $600-$700 new for about $300 used if you do your research. What is it that you're looking for in each of those two guitars? Did you try them? Have you looked at Jackson? You can get some used Dinky DK2 for about $300, I used to own one (it's in a box in my car ready to ship!): very versatile guitars, the MIJ build quality is excellent, and the pickups are excellent too (real Seymour Duncans, including a JB at the bridge instead of Duncan designed). They also have double humbuckers configuration with no Floyd Rose...

I'd DEFINITELY go used.
OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
AJlies

Thanks for your responses.

I've tried some Jackson guitars with mixed results. One of them was great and truly versatile (a Rhoads model), the other one had some serious feedback problems when playing downtuned distorted metal (thought I mainly blame it on the amp). I wouldn't but a Jackson that I haven't played at least twice. Well, this applies to any guitar, really.

Yes, I've tried both guitars and they're both pretty comfortable. According to my experience with them (which consists on trying them a couple of hours) the Schecter seems to achieve a heavier sound, and I think it could be better for more "modern" oriented styles, though the Ibanez is apparently more versatile. What I'd really want to know is wether or not any of those guitars is worth the cost in the long term, if they are reliable, etc.

Honestly, I can't talk much about pickups, as it's something I know almost nothing about.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
OliveG

The few Ibanez SZR520 I could find on the US ebay would not sell for $350. The Schecter seems to go for more. It looks like $325 is not a bad price, especially if they're new. I've never tried a Shecter but I also owned an Ibanez in the past. I know that the necks of the Ibanez or Jackson are very comfortable... but I still feel like for that price you could get something a bit better - and by that I mean something with more 'established' pickups. I have no idea how those sound, but they both seem to have stock pickups, which may not be all that great. To me it'd be an important factor: if you're looking into the long term, you don't want to replace the pickups after a year because you've grown tired of them and you feel that they limit you somewhat. But since I own neither it's hard to say if they're reliable. Have you checked out some reviews?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
OliveG

The demon seems to have glowing reviews on this site, although I can't quite tell if it's the exact same model as yours. Neither seems to indicate issues with reliability. Do you play live a lot?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
AJlies

I've read some reviews, yes, and I found positive comments on both. And no, I don't play live too often. Well, yes I do, but I usually play bass live.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
OliveG

Oh, sorry, you said that you occasionally play live on your first post.

So I guess soundwise the Ibanez since you said it was more versatile? Looks like either is probably reliable enough for your needs. As for any of them being worth the cost in the long term, it's a tough one. I'd say yes because of the price. You seem to like them both, they both seem like decent deal for that price, so... which one are you going to go for then?

Personally I'd recommend the Jackson DK2M (or DK2 if you want a Floyd-style bridge). Made in Japan, awesome build quality and necks, excellent pickups, and you can get a used one for $300... and they look awesome too. The DK2 in particular is very versatile. I'd forget the feedback issue you mentioned, it's got to be the amp.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
AJlies

I'll most probably go for the szr520, but I'd like to read some more opinions before.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

I've played the Demon's before...seem like quality guitars.

I would snap tha one up..but, I think for about $75 more, you could get a used MIJ Ibby or Schecter.
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Heideck

Ibanez SRZ is a better guitar in my opinion

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
Triton1079

I took a look at the guitars online and I am also going to speak from the little experience I have. I do not generally like Ibanez guitars and in most cases I would say go with Schecter. This time, however, if I was given the same choice you were given I would buy the Ibanez SZR over the Schecter. That schecter is made with similar materials to the lower end of the ESP LTD guitar line whereas the Ibanez is made with better woods in my opinion. When it comes to the pickups I dislike Ibanez pickups in general, but I haven't heard them all. The Schecter has nicer pickups. But in the long run the Ibanez would be better for you because, if you wanted it to sound better, you could invest in some other pickups like some nice Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio's.

I am mainly an ESP and Jackson guitarist. I have played many Ibanez and Schecter guitars and I just happen to prefer ESP and Jackson over both of those brands. I would say... if you could gather up some more money or would want to look into other guitars check out ESP and Jackson for sure.
Triton1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton1079
I took a look at the guitars online and I am also going to speak from the little experience I have. I do not generally like Ibanez guitars and in most cases I would say go with Schecter. This time, however, if I was given the same choice you were given I would buy the Ibanez SZR over the Schecter. That schecter is made with similar materials to the lower end of the ESP LTD guitar line whereas the Ibanez is made with better woods in my opinion. When it comes to the pickups I dislike Ibanez pickups in general, but I haven't heard them all. The Schecter has nicer pickups. But in the long run the Ibanez would be better for you because, if you wanted it to sound better, you could invest in some other pickups like some nice Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio's.

I am mainly an ESP and Jackson guitarist. I have played many Ibanez and Schecter guitars and I just happen to prefer ESP and Jackson over both of those brands. I would say... if you could gather up some more money or would want to look into other guitars check out ESP and Jackson for sure.

what are the reasons you don't like ibanez and schecter (just to add information for the OP.

i don't like schecter, i don't like how they look or feel in my hands, and it is one of the very few necks i don't like.

many people don't like ibanezes due to thin necks, which is personal preference. i get along with them just fine.

i have owned two jacksons and currently own two Prestiges, both jacksons were MIJ, and the Ibbys blew the jacksons away. that is why i don't have a jackson, but they do make a very good guitar, i just have too many superstrats to justify keeping the Jacksons.

i have owned three LTD's an EC400, EC401, and an EC1000. the 400 and 1000 were tied for me, the 1000 wasn't much different in terms of the 400 other than all of the abalone which i dont' like, they have too much. the 401 wasn't as good, they moved to a different factory that year and the quality dropped. i have sold all of those though. all three had the 81/60 EMG set and were nice, but i think they are overpriced when it comes down to the whole deal.

i like Ibanez and Jackson over ESP/LTD and Schecter (in that order)

as far as ibanez pickups go, unless you go with the 3XXX series RG (has dimarzios) the other MIJ prestige RG's come with rather bland pickups, but i thing and have heard some other people who agree with the idea that ibanez gives you cheap pickups so you can pick out your own down the line. i would rather do that and put my own pickups in because i like different things than ibanez always uses, and i like variety. also for ibanez prestige, they have the tightest joints, finest woods in the neck and best craftsmanship and attention for detail for the price range.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
Triton1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
what are the reasons you don't like ibanez and schecter (just to add information for the OP.

i don't like schecter, i don't like how they look or feel in my hands, and it is one of the very few necks i don't like.

many people don't like ibanezes due to thin necks, which is personal preference. i get along with them just fine.

i have owned two jacksons and currently own two Prestiges, both jacksons were MIJ, and the Ibbys blew the jacksons away. that is why i don't have a jackson, but they do make a very good guitar, i just have too many superstrats to justify keeping the Jacksons.

i have owned three LTD's an EC400, EC401, and an EC1000. the 400 and 1000 were tied for me, the 1000 wasn't much different in terms of the 400 other than all of the abalone which i dont' like, they have too much. the 401 wasn't as good, they moved to a different factory that year and the quality dropped. i have sold all of those though. all three had the 81/60 EMG set and were nice, but i think they are overpriced when it comes down to the whole deal.

i like Ibanez and Jackson over ESP/LTD and Schecter (in that order)

as far as ibanez pickups go, unless you go with the 3XXX series RG (has dimarzios) the other MIJ prestige RG's come with rather bland pickups, but i thing and have heard some other people who agree with the idea that ibanez gives you cheap pickups so you can pick out your own down the line. i would rather do that and put my own pickups in because i like different things than ibanez always uses, and i like variety. also for ibanez prestige, they have the tightest joints, finest woods in the neck and best craftsmanship and attention for detail for the price range.

I think, for me, what I didn't like about Ibanez was the sound I was getting with the ones I tried and the overall feel of teh guitar. the necks were fine, but not my favorite. I like schecter, they tend to have a similar feel to the esp guitars I have played in my opinion and I'm not exactly sure what it was I don't like or didn't like at the time of trying them out about schecter guitars. I think it was the necks on some of them.

I do agree that the ESP guitars can be overpriced. I generally don't buy a guitar based on specs or price. I play it and if I like it and I feel the price is reasonable for how much I like the guitar then I want to buy it. I have found one Ibanez that I absolutely loved and would buy, but the store was selling it for a pretty outrageous price especially for it being used and the paint job on it was good, but easily chippable if that's even a word. It was in the RG series I believe. I don't remember what it was exactly.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton1079
I think, for me, what I didn't like about Ibanez was the sound I was getting with the ones I tried and the overall feel of teh guitar. the necks were fine, but not my favorite. I like schecter, they tend to have a similar feel to the esp guitars I have played in my opinion and I'm not exactly sure what it was I don't like or didn't like at the time of trying them out about schecter guitars. I think it was the necks on some of them.

I do agree that the ESP guitars can be overpriced. I generally don't buy a guitar based on specs or price. I play it and if I like it and I feel the price is reasonable for how much I like the guitar then I want to buy it. I have found one Ibanez that I absolutely loved and would buy, but the store was selling it for a pretty outrageous price especially for it being used and the paint job on it was good, but easily chippable if that's even a word. It was in the RG series I believe. I don't remember what it was exactly.

thanks. just to let you know i wasn't trying to question you, i was just fishing for another deeper opinion for the OP, so he gets as much information as possible.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Triton1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
thanks. just to let you know i wasn't trying to question you, i was just fishing for another deeper opinion for the OP, so he gets as much information as possible.

Haha I know I understood. It was just easier to answer if it was phrased as if answering a question.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
AJlies

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
fathooker

hi, let me start with saying you may find my opinion to be biased. but i do try to keep opinion low on the pole. schecter is by far my favorite brand. for the price it just doesnt get beat. ibanez is another very high name brand, but i wouldnt spend less than $850 on an ibanez and thats pushing it. only their higher end guitars seem worth it. schecter, however, my $500 damien elite crushed 90% of all other guitars i come across. schecter is high quality, very affordable, and sounds great. i advise going schecter
fathooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: