Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
MattyPS

Why can't we hear ourselves on stage?

Hi there,

I've never played in a band and I've never given a show on stage. However, I've gone to a certain number of gigs to see famous band or local bands.

A while ago (3 years ago, actually) I went to see some friends of mine playing. After the show, my friend - who played electric violin - came to me and asked something like : "What did you think about it? For me it was a pain because I couldn't hear what I was playing. The feedback was terrible".

But for me it was just fine (although at that time my ears were not as "trained" as now).

So yeah, three years later I'm thinking about that. Was their set up bad or is it hard in general to hear yourself playing on stage?
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
LeakyFlask
onaarq

Well, generally you have some sort of monitoring system to hear what you're actually playing, these could be speakers aimed towards the stage, and nowadays there are in-ear solutions as well. I do think it's a fairly common problem if you don't have a very consistent and good set-up.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Momentosis
Defiler

Yeah, you see those black boxes musicians like to put their foot on a lot on stage?

Those are the speakers for feedback.

Usually the sound guy would set that stuff up beforehand and stuff.

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
you suck their dicks and make them feel good so that they don't rage

>﹏<
Watch me play games.
(۳ ˚Д˚)۳
>jay
Momentosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
MattyPS

Oh yeah those black boxes... I totally see what you're talking about.

But what happens with the sound? I mean, how come that you hear yourself better with those feedback speakers than with the amplifiers behind you?

Can you also tell me more with the in-ear thing? Does it act like a filter or something like that?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

It's called foldback/stage monitoring, not feedback. What you mainly hear from your backline are more the reflections from the the back wall, which are distorted and delayed. The on stage monitors are pointing directly at you, so you hear the speaker, not a reflection.

The in ear monitors basically act like earphones, but you're hearing the mix from the desk rather than your ipod.

Last edited by Deliriumbassist : 10-08-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
MattyPS

Okay so you can hear yourself in real-time (well, at the speed of the electronics).

But the reflections will eventually come back to you, right? How do you deal with that? Are their level negligible compared to the stage monitoring one?

So what I watched on videos was musicians wearing ear monitors, not ear protections.
The level on stage must be pretty loud, how can you hear something with these ear monitors without getting deaf?

I am asking a lot of questions, whose answers may seem obvious to some people, but I really want to understand this.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
McTodd
This is a wug

So every member of the band gets a little spot on stage that might look a bit like this

Sometimes each person onstage can get their own mix coming through their own monitors, tailored specially so that they can hear themselves properly. In-ear monitors do the same job, and you don't go deaf in the same way that you don't go deaf wearing headphones - although sometimes you do, of course.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

It's actually pretty quiet behind the speakers, you'd be suprised. The sound is all pointed away from you so you can feel quite disconnected from it.
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

A lot of in ear monitors either have filtering for external noise, or passive noise isolation. Well fitting in ears also provide noise isolation by creating a seal in the ear.

Good monitoring is acheived by having a good sound guy, good equipment, and a band that knows what they're doing, and knows how to assist the sound guy during soundchecks. You'll still get the reflections, but if the foldback is done properly, you'll be more focussed on that.
Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
Captain Panda
Warning: Contains Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPS
Okay so you can hear yourself in real-time (well, at the speed of the electronics).

But the reflections will eventually come back to you, right? How do you deal with that? Are their level negligible compared to the stage monitoring one?

So what I watched on videos was musicians wearing ear monitors, not ear protections.
The level on stage must be pretty loud, how can you hear something with these ear monitors without getting deaf?

I am asking a lot of questions, whose answers may seem obvious to some people, but I really want to understand this.

In my experience the sound you get on stage is very distorted and sounds like a muddy mix of noise where it's hard to discern your own playing. On top of that it's usually a lot less loud since the PA speakers are pointing away from you. Sometimes these speakers hang so much further towards the crowd that the volume in the front row is considerably lower than in the middle of the crowd.
Captain Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Yeah it sounds wayyy different on stage than it does in the audience. Where the speakers are pointing and whether you're facing them or not makes a giant difference.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
MattyPS

It gets clearer in my head, thank you guys!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
jimejames
Handsome Genius

if you can't hear distorted guitar it's usually cos the tone sucks - too much gain and overly scooped mids are the main culprits

if you can't hear vocals most of the time it's cos the singer can't project

bad sound engineers can also be at fault, but usually it's bad musicians

underpowered PAs can also be to blame, but in 2012 that's not quite the problem it used to be
jimejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Kyleisthename

Sounds like your friend doesn't know what he want to hear in his mix. Or he can get a good tone to cut through.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

I've yet to play in a good monitoring situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
stratman_13
tick tick bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
Yeah it sounds wayyy different on stage than it does in the audience. Where the speakers are pointing and whether you're facing them or not makes a giant difference.

This, so much this.

Also it can really depend on the size and shape of the venue, as well. Small bars and clubs I can usually hear myself much better than in big places where there's a lot of natural room reverb and the bounceback sound you hear is always like a half second off. Drives me nuts.

But yeah, monitors are how you hear yourself on stage. In ear monitors are the best things ever, but regular stage monitors work completely perfectly if the soundman knows what he's doing.

Each year that passes rings you inwardly with memory and might. Wield your heart, and the world will tremble.
stratman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: