Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

looking to learn a new scale i would like some opinions as of which

i am just looking for ideas and what would suit me best. i know MAJ/MIN pentatonics/blues scales, and all of the minor scales. i am able to do freely improv in any key of the noted scales, as well as rythm, i know the whole board and can go in any key without even thinking about it.

i play metal and blues, 10 years. i play out a lot. i am looking for something towards blues, maybe a little country influence. Dorian? Mixolydian?

i am open to anything.

as far as influences go i pretty much play texas blues and more of a blues rock.

SRV above all (wish i had seen live)

kenny wayne sheppard (seen live)
jonnny lang (seen live)
joe bonamassa (seen live)
for more of the rock side
and all of the legends.

so maybe country blues or either or both.

i listen to mainly country and metal, not blues as much. but i play blues most ideas would be great, i am not looking for anything definitive.

i realize how the modes interact and have some music theory, but i have a hard time applying some of what i have learned to the guitar, because a lot of the contents was more band/orchestral/piano, doing a lot of progressions on piano. i also play the drums, paino, and trumpet.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

You don't need to learn "more scales", you need to improve your understanding of the ones you already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Quote:

This +1

Listen to steven.

Also,

Quote:
i have a hard time applying some of what i have learned to the guitar, because a lot of the contents was more band/orchestral/piano

Music theory is music theory. It's the same for all instruments, the only specifics are how you play the actual notes on the instrument.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

althogh having re-read the OP it would appear to suggest that you're not familair with the major scale, in which case you need to spend some time learning about that.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

If you're really able to improv in any key anywhere on the fretboard, and you play out a lot then if you only listen to country and metal I would say broaden your horizons some. Get some classical music under your belt, some jazz, some pop, some dance ... Music is a vast subject and there's a lifetime of exploring that far exceeds anything you can learn from just playing scales.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

I don't know why people learn more than the "blues scale" and the 2 pentatonics... Those are the only ones people actually want to hear used.

Anyways, it's not using scales, it's learning how notes relate to each other and what sounds they make. You can learn all the scales you want, but then you'll just be able to grind scales.
You make music by knowing the relationships of notes and when you get an idea in your head, you know how to form it on the spot.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
I don't know why people learn more than the "blues scale" and the 2 pentatonics... Those are the only ones people actually want to hear used.

Although i hate to admit it, this is very true. Which is why i don't like to make music for normal people.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Those normal people are the ones who will throw dollar bills in your case and ask you to play at their parties and pay you large sums of money.
Or you can learn all your bebop scales and learn changes inside and out and have people say "Oh, thats nice" as you perform that bird solo you meticulously transcribed and they will walk away.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Those normal people are the ones who will throw dollar bills in your case and ask you to play at their parties and pay you large sums of money.
Or you can learn all your bebop scales and learn changes inside and out and have people say "Oh, thats nice" as you perform that bird solo you meticulously transcribed and they will walk away.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Captaincranky

Learn the Phrygian major, minor, and dominant scales. That why, if you're ever in Hungary or Andalusia, you'll have a leg up on busking there.

Besides, the minor or flat 2nd in all of them, can be made to sound, "heavy", in a metal context.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Aww Mac, don't get me wrong though. I don't play music for the money. That would make me ******ed. But a little tax free income is nice to have.
And the satisfaction I get from cheering other people up with my music is much greater than any satisfaction I'd get from playing some "higher form" of music to deaf ears because it shows how much I know about theory.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Suede, you're right.
Tell you the truth, i don't write really complex music. Most of my stuff is your typical 4-5 chord songs.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Atta Boy
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Captaincranky

Quote:
And the satisfaction I get from cheering other people up with my music is much greater than any satisfaction I'd get from playing some "higher form" of music to deaf ears because it shows how much I know about theory.
Ironically, the term "higher form of music" had an entirely different meaning in the 70's.

Come to think of it, so did, "better living through chemistry".

Did you know the verses of "White Rabbit" are in F# Phrygian Major?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Learn the Phrygian major, minor, and dominant scales. That why, if you're ever in Hungary or Andalusia, you'll have a leg up on busking there.

Besides, the minor or flat 2nd in all of them, can be made to sound, "heavy", in a metal context.

thank you, that is what i was looking for something to try new.

i am not grinding the scales i know, i play them musically mostly improv. and i am just as familiar with the major like the other ones, i guess i didn't phrase that sentence properly. i play the relationship of the notes and from every bar i play in i seem to get good results, and thats a blues bar and there are some phenomenal guitarists there, obviously they are better than i (most of them are in their 50's and 60's) and i pull out the fills and leads just like anybody else.

if i broaden my horizons it would be to country.

i have also decided that i am going to learn to read sheet music and not tab, should have done that a long time ago.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
thank you, that is what i was looking for something to try new.

Is it cuz the word sounds like, well cool? "Phrygian!" My god, that's badass!

You could just study some minor progressions.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Is it cuz the word sounds like, well cool? "Phrygian!" My god, that's badass!

You could just study some minor progressions.
Well that, and a lock of rock uses the "Phrygian mode", (notice the quote marks). But this is something you already know. I guess you won't acquiesce to that, what with the "mode cops" lurking at every turn.

This Wiki page handily blends tonality and modality, without the bullshit argument: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusian_cadence

"One pill makes you larger"............But wait, there's more
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc

Self Portrait perhaps?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

you should learn the major scale!

To get the country sound you're looking for, the answer isnt learn another scale. Just about everything you listen to is based around the major scale. You just need to work on your phrasing. It's all the same scale.

Last edited by Peaceful Rocker : 10-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: