User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Rocker
you should learn the major scale!.
You should have read the first post. The one in which the TS explains he already knows them.

But heck, in a lot of places you could get away with the MAJOR pentatonics.

So that means, over "G, C, D", you would play, these pentatonic minor scales Em, Am, Bm.....and POOF, just like that they would become pentatonic majors.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Self Portrait perhaps?

Haha, nice reply. I liked that, actually.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

Quote:
You should have read the first post. The one in which the TS explains he already knows them.

So that means, over "G, C, D", you would play, these pentatonic minor scales Em, Am, Bm.....and POOF, just like that they would become pentatonic majors.

ya, that's still the major scale though. He's asking what he should do to learn country.. the answer isnt another scale.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Captaincranky

Quote:
ya, that's still the major scale though. He's asking what he should do to learn country.. the answer isnt another scale.
So basically he should buy a Stetson, turn on the local country radio station, and play along til he gets the hang of it.....No, really....
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

Quote:
So basically he should buy a Stetson, turn on the local country radio station, and play along til he gets the hang of it.....No, really....

That's what i'd suggest. Learning some country songs and paying attention to the differnet phrasing that's involved in playing country lead.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Captaincranky

Quote:
That's what i'd suggest. Learning some country songs and paying attention to the differnet phrasing that's involved in playing country lead.
No way.... .....YES way..!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

are you an elaborate troll forreal
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

What he's saying makes sense as for whatever reason people learn minor pentatonics before major... But they're built with the same notes, just like relative major/minor scales.

What he's saying is if you play the Em Pentatonic, you'll have
E G A B D E G A B D E
And if you start the scale on the bolded note, the G, you have a G Major pentatonic, or the relative major key of Em.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Basically, he's saying that you should play shape 5 of G major, C major and D major pentatonic.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
What he's saying makes sense as for whatever reason people learn minor pentatonics before major... But they're built with the same notes, just like relative major/minor scales.

What he's saying is if you play the Em Pentatonic, you'll have
E G A B D E G A B D E
And if you start the scale on the bolded note, the G, you have a G Major pentatonic, or the relative major key of Em.
Pretty much.....

At last, I've met somebody who can speak, "troll", as a second language.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Basically, he's saying that you should play shape 5 of G major, C major and D major pentatonic.
I offered an example in G, using that shape.

As you already well know, with any "pentatonic scale shape", involving any major key and its relative minor key tonic chord pairs, could used as illustration. The single common scale can easily be interpolated.

{C + Am}, {D + Bm}, {E + C#m}....yadda, yadda, etc.....

All you hafta do, is add the notes of the I & iv chords together, (there are 4 notes total), then add 2nd of the major scale, and you got yourself a pentatonic scale, (or 2 actually).

So is the chord you make when you add the I & vi chords together a M6 or m7.... ?

I picked that particular shape because, it is oftentimes the first one people learn.

Also, it helps illustrate where the Major & relative minor chords, "collide", or put less dramatically, "overlap". For the Am and C major, that would be a the 5th fret. (Am @ 5th, with C major at the 3rd.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
E7#9
Ad hominem at it's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
You don't need to learn "more scales", you need to improve your understanding of the ones you already know.

If you know all your major and minor scales then theoretically you already know dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian (natural minor), locrian...

not to mention all the modes of melodic and harmonic minor!!

Learning a bit of theory opens a ton of new possibilites.
E7#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7#9
If you know all your major and minor scales then theoretically you already know dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian (natural minor), locrian...

not to mention all the modes of melodic and harmonic minor!!
The melodies of many songs don't begin or end on the key note, but they end on the tonic chord, way more often than not. And to modern ears, that places them in a key, not a mode.

(Besides, if you even breathe the"mode" around here, you either have to place a "wink" after it, be prepared to face the consequences, or be me, and invite them.. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7#9
Learning a bit of theory opens a ton of new possibilites.
No, in the case of modes, learning a bit of theory opens up a can of worms. Or, put differently, "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing".

But, if you insist, here's a "little bit", more theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusian_cadence

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #33
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
are you an elaborate troll forreal
A classic rock progression, (as well as blues) is E (1st fret), A (5th fret), & B (7th fret). In rock, more often than not, a minor pent scale is played over these major chords. Scales that we're going to call, Em , Am, & Bm, pentatonic.

The TS doesn't seem to know that he already possesses the scales necessary to become involved with country music.

So flipping those same "minor scales" to the major chord progression, and obviating the fact that the scales are the same, but relative to the harmony, and each other, is hardly trolling.

Every time I fire up some country, what I hear way more often than not, is I, IV, V, and a capo.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #34
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
(1st fret)

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
Open, is that, "more better" ? With that said, the first finger of E major open does go on the first fret...

I'm surprised there was no, "film at eleven" on that.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-10-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Rate This Thread: