Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
guardianshadow

Mid-tier guitar comparison: Epiphone Les Paul Standard vs. Hofner Club Solid

Hey guys and gals,

I'm trying to decide on a mid-tier guitar to purchase. Currently, as the title says, I've nailed it down to either an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or a Hofner Club Solid.

The Epiphone LP is a more standard choice in this price range, but I wanted to hear some input on the Hofner.

How does the Hofner compare to the Epiphone LP in the following areas?
-Brand quality
-The sound I could get out of the two
-Versatility

Thanks a lot!
--guardianshadow
guardianshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

Where do you live and what is your preference? I might be able to throw in some more interesting guitar names.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
guardianshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
Where do you live and what is your preference? I might be able to throw in some more interesting guitar names.

Hey hminh87. Thanks for the quick response. I'm in NJ currently.
I'm not sure where my preference lies - and I'm open
to new suggestions. In terms of versatility I think I'd prefer the Epiphone, but I've heard in general the Epi's tend to be poor quality, and judging by the demo I saw online the Hofner does have a pretty sweet sound.

[To make things a little bit clearer, I would be using the guitar for blues/rock/jazz. I don't play metal, so it's not crucial that I can shred.]
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

what is your budget and what amp will you be playing through?

they're both pretty similar sounding and playing guitars. quality with either one really isn't significantly better better than the other- like any mass produced guitars, there will be stars and duds, you just need to play before you buy to ensure you don't get a dud. there could, however, be more interesting and better suited guitars.

also, your comment about Epi's generally being poor quality is absolutely untrue. yes, there are a few duds, but the vast majority of better epi's (not LP specials...) tend to be quite good.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
hminh87
Justin here!

There's nothing wrong with Epiphone guitars. It's just that for the same price there are so many other options available. They might not be more exact copy of the "real deal" but sometime they can be much better in term of quality for the price.

Here's some brands that I find interesting within' medium price tier: Agile, Dillion, Michael Kelly, Hagstrom, Ibanez, Jackson, Fender, Schecter, raven West ... Go to their website and search around. They all have good guitars.

• ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Yep, and here's a beaut:
http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/cusermamqubl.html

I also own one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Dean-EVO-Guit...t/dp/B0002PZBN4

Even though I also own guitars much better than this, the only thing I'm planning on doing to it in the near future is improving its humbuckers. Otherwise, it's feel and build quality have stood up over the years I've owned it.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
SteveHOC
Used Register

I've had good luck with Epi's thus far - though I've definitely played a few duds in various shops. If you like the single-cut look and are maybe looking for something else like that, Gretsch offers something in your price range:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRE2505010

I have this Gretsch in black and find myself playing it more than my LP, but that may have to do with the slightly lighter weight of the Gretsch and my shoulder being a pissy little ingrate these days.

I also like the Agiles for the price, and since you're in Jersey, you could maybe take a trip over to the shop and play on a few to compare. I'm not sure of the distance of the Rondo shop from where you live, but really, those Agiles are great guitars for the price.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
guardianshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
what is your budget and what amp will you be playing through?

Hey krehzeekid,
my budget is roughly up to $500.
I am in the market for an amp as well, so no good answer for you there.

hminh87, as for the Agiles/raven Wests/Jacksons.. What exactly does "interesting" mean here? I guess a few other ones also suggested Agiles/raven Wests. Do the have better quality in this medium price range? Or are they roughly the same as the Epi LPs/Hofners?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
hminh87
Justin here!

It means I have given the name and you should search more about it.
If you're just looking for a guitar and not caring about if the shape of the guitar is a "real" les paul shape then an Epiphone LP is too much to pay. An example would be an Agile AL-3000 series has better spec than Epiphone Les Paul Standard and costs less. Another would be a Hagstrom Swede just right at the Epi price but feels so much better. TBH the only epiphones that I ever will consider justify their price is the Ultra and Elitist series but they also cost a bit more.

btw, if I remembered right, rondomusic closed their retail shop a few years back and went to be online exclusive. They do have quite decent return policy, though.

• ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 10-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
What exactly does "interesting" mean here?

(Answering for my own perspective.)

It depends on the brand. Sometimes, they'll be better made for the price. Sometimes, they'll have slightly different features, like hotter pickups or coil-splitting (which may not exist on the original model). Sometimes, the differences are purely cosmetic, like a finish that isn't available on the original, fancier inlays or binding.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
guardianshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
It means I have given the name and you should search more about it.
If you're just looking for a guitar and not caring about if the shape of the guitar is a "real" les paul shape then an Epiphone LP is too much to pay. An example would be an Agile AL-3000 series has better spec than Epiphone Les Paul Standard and costs less. Another would be a Hagstrom Swede just right at the Epi price but feels so much better. TBH the only epiphones that I ever will consider justify their price is the Ultra and Elitist series but they also cost a bit more.

btw, if I remembered right, rondomusic closed their retail shop a few years back and went to be online exclusive. They do have quite decent return policy, though.

Ah, I see.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianshadow
Hey krehzeekid,
my budget is roughly up to $500.
I am in the market for an amp as well, so no good answer for you there.

hminh87, as for the Agiles/raven Wests/Jacksons.. What exactly does "interesting" mean here? I guess a few other ones also suggested Agiles/raven Wests. Do the have better quality in this medium price range? Or are they roughly the same as the Epi LPs/Hofners?

Thanks!

if you don't know what amp you're looking at, what sorts of sounds are you hoping to get?

I'm asking because a $500 budget could mean any one of a tremendous number of guitars, and a little bit more info about your needs and preferences will seriously help us provide you with really sound advice.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
guardianshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
if you don't know what amp you're looking at, what sorts of sounds are you hoping to get?

I'm asking because a $500 budget could mean any one of a tremendous number of guitars, and a little bit more info about your needs and preferences will seriously help us provide you with really sound advice.

Hey krehzeekid,

As I said, I'm going for versatility. I want to be able to play some jazz (so good clear tones), as well as blues/classic-hard rock (so good distortion range and string bending options, as well as "ballsiness"). I don't need the heavy metal range of sounds.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

To me, that sounds like either some kind of SuperStrat with a HSS, HHS or HSH configuration, or a LP type with HH with one or both having splittable coils.

Right now, Guitar Center has a LOT of used Godin Velocity guitars (HSS configuration) in the $400-500 range.

As I recall, there should be a lot of Ibanez HSH and Schecter HHS guitars out there, too.

At $599, his 2007 Malden PMS prototype should be a good deal as well.
http://www.maldenguitars.com/storePMS.htm

In addition, Malden has these SG-inspired Bulldozers for $550 (2 HB with coil splitting) in red, white or black:

http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

And a white b-stock Bulldozer with a paint issue on the backside for $499:
http://www.maldenguitars.com/storeBulldozerowPB.htm

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Heideck

Godin guitars are nice. You might want to check Ibanez SA260FM. A telecaster would be able to do the job too

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'm going to get skewered for this, but I had one, and it was awesome.
Yes, it's made in China. Maybe it's not exactly what some of you will have in mind.
I sold mine to fund a Blackout Tele purchase, as I was really, really digging one that my friend had. For versatility and price, this thing is fantastic. Read the reviews on it if you have yet to, and I'm sure you'll be able to play one at your Guitar Center.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...896-i2013844.gc
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
guardianshadow

Hmm.. I kind of prefer the single-cut design the LP has over the Fender.
Are the Fenders better suited for less heavy stuff?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Heideck

telecaster are considered single cut right? so fender tele would be good

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
SteveHOC
Used Register

Well the Tele does have a single cut design, but if you're after the LP look, the Tele won't get you there of course. The Tele's that I've played are generally a middle-of-the-road sound. They don't get get the "crunch" that you get with humbucker equipped guitars, though Fender does make an HH Tele and Strat, so there is a niche for that. The Modern Player is really a versatile guitar, and I was able to get pretty much any tone I wanted out of it, though I never tried sludge or metal. Lots of blues players love the Tele, though Jazz typically lends itself to a semi-hollow or fully-hollow guitar. I always end up saying this, but P-90's are also a way to go, at least as far as pickup versatility is concerned. You get the clarity of a single coil and some of the "balls" of a humbucker. The Tele definitely has the clarity going for it though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz

Here's a dark horse candidate:

Reverend Guitars Double Agent, Double Agent II. Or Double Agent III- equipped with a HB in the bridge position and a P90 in the neck position. New, they go for $790, used, I've seen as low as $500.

Rate This Thread: