Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Which do you like more?
Playing!! 7 20.59%
the Artistic Side 8 23.53%
Both 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
DaleZ93
Executive Hobo

Lightbulb Music or Playing?

One day I started thinking to myself that there are two sides of musical interest: liking to play an instrument and liking music, not as in listening but as an art form. I enjoy music more than I do playing, to me an instrument is just that; A tool for creating artwork. I love playing guitar but I think I like the art more. What do you guys think, is there a difference?
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
To quote some influential person in my life: MODES AND SCALES ARE DUMB AND USELESS.

Although, they make great exercise tools. For warming up.
That's going to end up quoted in someone's sig.
DaleZ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

what in the heck are you on about
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Liking playing an instrument falls under the umbrella of liking music...

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
EddieHet

My cousin likes to watch football. He doesn't play football. Why?
Because he sucks.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

I prefer songwriting & recording to either standing in front of an audience playing ma stuff or mixing music once it's recorded.

On the performance side I get total stage fright that manifests as violently shaking hands and rigidity in my fingers, coupled with memory blocks. I stare at my feet, I go bright red, I mumble. If I were a sheep and were asked to perform I'd try and hide under another sheep. I am not, IOW, a natural performer. Can't even do it in front my own family. It can even affect recording my singing sometimes - I end up having to shut the door to the 'study', close the curtains and turn the music up loud in the cans so I can pretend no-one else can hear me even though the walls are thin and I'm shouting as loud as I can.

On the mixing side: I truly hate mixing. Each mix seems to bring some new and ****ing irritating problem. I suppose some people might see that as a challenge: Me I see it as mixing being a complete arse. It's not that I don't appreciate the finished product, but - like housework - I appreciate having done it rather than enjoying the actual doing.

Songwriting OTOH: I get complete control. Don't like those lyrics? Write some more. That riff sound shit? Do something else. Fed up of writing that melody? Write a drum-beat. Bored of metal? Try country.

Songwriting I love. The rest can go to hell.

Last edited by Sleepy__Head : 10-05-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly

I enjoy playing guitar, moreso than sitting down and writing something. However I like being creative with my guitar, they aren't mutually exclusive.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
coVal

Yup, I also play on guitar mostly for the music, rather than for the enjoyment of playing. It's not that I don't like to play, it's just the music is what really turns me on.
coVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Flibo
I like dissonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Liking playing an instrument falls under the umbrella of liking music...

You could play drums for the sport aspect
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Flibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

No option for neither??
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibo
You could play drums for the sport aspect

"your typical rock band consists of 3-4 musicians as well as a drummer"
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
food1010
Bassist

I like the whole musical experience. The physical playing is only a small part of it.

As far as I'm aware, there's little purpose in playing the instrument without any artistic intention. Playing guitar is making music to me.

Of course, people may disagree with me but they're wrong.

Last edited by food1010 : 10-06-2012 at 01:05 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
"your typical rock band consists of 3-4 musicians as well as a drummer"

And a bassist

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
I like the whole musical experience. The physical playing is only a small part of it.

As far as I'm aware, there's little purpose in playing the instrument without any artistic intention. Playing guitar is making music to me.
Did you know there are colleges that give classes based on the TV series, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies I'd just thought I'd introduce some gravitas to this thread.

In that same vein, "music appreciation" studies are deemed trivial by some. Being a product of the 70's, they normally provided a justification for smoking a bunch of weed, and/or, dropping acid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Of course, people may disagree with me but they're wrong.
Just merely living in a hospice for the terminally wrong, doesn't give you the background or credentials to make that call....

On a more "serious note", I believe that being able to play an instrument enhances the experience of listening. And for me personally, I find playing along with music I'm listening to, has a synergistic effect, sometimes giving me more pleasure than either of the two pursuits separately.

Going to the zoo without a camera, registers the same pointlessness to me, as going to a mix tape without a guitar. (If that analog makes any sense).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-06-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I like to do both. If i really had to choose writing music may be a little more enjoyable to myself, but probably because i feel like I'm better at hearing music in my head than actually making that music on the guitar, so I'm a little more limited with my guitar in a sense. I usually don't write with my guitar, i use my piano, and then i add little guitar bits into it.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Did you know there are colleges that give classes based on the TV series, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies I'd just thought I'd introduce some gravitas to this thread.

At last, a subject I can master!
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

I think the main problem with people who play music and think of themselves as music connoisseurs is that they become snobby when it comes to the music they listen to.

I go to school for music and it's crazy how few people genuinely like music.
What I mean is the people who say they listen to everything but when you ask if they listen to blues, they say "Yeah, I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan." Or you ask if they listen to rap and they say "Yeah, I listen to Biggie Smalls."
But they don't really know anything about that kind of music and if you try to introduce them to other artists, they shut down and say "well it's not as good as so-and-so."

Theres probably about 4 people on my campus who I can stand to talk about music with because they're genuine music lovers and we're all in agreement that we can find something to love about just about any piece of music from any time period.
Theres a lot more to this discussion but thats for another thread.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

There is apparently a DoD:S playing, music majoring, six-string bass playing, bagel baker on a unicycle who lives a skip down 463 from me. Oh, the world we live in!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
I think the main problem with people who play music and think of themselves as music connoisseurs is that they become snobby when it comes to the music they listen to.
Just for the sake of argument, (which is why I make the majority of my posts), it really sounds like you're the snob.

The concept that if you don't like all music, you really can't love any of it, is patently absurd.

Many people form a lifelong attachment to the type of music prevailing in their adolescence. "The tunes you came up with", as it were.

Being a "boomer", I came up with what we now call, "golden oldies", then moved on to the various types of progressive, classical, folk, acid, and metal rock. See, I like any kind of music, as long as it's rock....

But really, the punk, disco, and rap eras, have been a living hell for me.

Then came "Sugarland", to lead me out of the wilderness, so to speak.....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Just for the sake of argument, (which is why I make the majority of my posts), it really sounds like you're the snob.

The concept that if you don't like all music, you really can't love any of it, is patently absurd.

Thats not the point I'm trying to make. You're allowed to prefer to play any kind of music you like. You're allowed to have a certain affinity to any sort of music too. I prefer blues and funk myself. But I never listen to any sort of music and turn my nose up to it and say "this is crap. Theres not one redeeming factor in this music, if you can even call it that."
My problem is with people who are music majors and "like all kinds of music" yet if you turn on Tom Waits or something, they say "his voice sounds disgusting I don't like this."
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

I don't like Tom Waits voice but I don't know that I would dislike the entire genre because of it. I like what he added to Hank III's stuff when he let him guest on some songs.

Rate This Thread: