Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
xSmellyxSkunkx

Exclamation Bad bass playing

I figured this would be the best thread but im not sure.
I'm in a band with 3 of my best friends from high school.
we have been playing for 4 plus years now but we have a minor drawback.
Our bassist isn't the best.
he has only been playing with us for about 2 or 3 years now and has some timing and rhythm issues. He knows his scales down to a T and can read tabs fine. but his fingering, picking, timing, and rhythm are bad. I don't know how to approach him because i was kicked out 6 months ago for being a jerk about it and he just asked me to come back about 3 weeks ago. He has been my best friend for a long time and i was just wondering if some of you guys had similar problems? and if so how you overcame them?
xSmellyxSkunkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

I had a similar issue with a guitar player once (who was also the self-proclaimed "leader" of the band) and just got the rest of the band to gang up on him over it
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
xSmellyxSkunkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Noble
I had a similar issue with a guitar player once (who was also the self-proclaimed "leader" of the band) and just got the rest of the band to gang up on him over it

Well I was the self proclaimed leader of the last project. they never really kicked me out. i just kinda skipped town for a few months to find myself. (a girl cheated on me, and i treated my friends like shit) But when i came back he improve a little bit and i wanted back in. I talked to them and we created a verbal contract. i just don't want to make him feel like shit. because he does put a lot of effort into playing i just want to be able to help him because i hang out with him almost every day. i know he can do better i just want to show him he can.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
kemingt
Barned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSmellyxSkunkx
I figured this would be the best thread but im not sure.
I'm in a band with 3 of my best friends from high school.
we have been playing for 4 plus years now but we have a minor drawback.
Our bassist isn't the best.
he has only been playing with us for about 2 or 3 years now and has some timing and rhythm issues. He knows his scales down to a T and can read tabs fine. but his fingering, picking, timing, and rhythm are bad. I don't know how to approach him because i was kicked out 6 months ago for being a jerk about it and he just asked me to come back about 3 weeks ago. He has been my best friend for a long time and i was just wondering if some of you guys had similar problems? and if so how you overcame them?

tell him to practice/get a teacher and to get his skills up to standard before thinking of joining a band.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
JKing138

I used to be the one in the band with timing and rhythem issues. The rest of the band had been playing in bands for years and I was new to it all. In the end it came down to practice and perseverance, playing in a band with others is not like practicing alone or to a cd. Sit down with him one on one and go through some of the riffs, don't just go through tracks and expect him to get it, he might not know the extent of his playing issues. Record a session and play it back so you can show him as well.
JKing138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
xSmellyxSkunkx

[/QUOTE]tell him to practice/get a teacher and to get his skills up to standard before thinking of joining a band.[QUOTE]

H has had 2 different teachers in the span of three years. He gave up on the first one because we told him he wasn't helping. his second teacher helped him pick out notes and stuff like G, E, C, D, but he will play mountain song and it sounds choppy. kinda like slap but hes finger picking. and then he will start speeding up. and he doesnt get the concept of playing a beginning note as and ending note also.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Sit him down with a metronome, start off slow, and play with him (even if it means playing his part on the guitar first to show him how it sounds, if that makes sense. I work like that.)

But metronome. Slow. Increase speed gradually. And he'll be fine (hopefully!)
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

I played in bands with a friend through all of middle school and high school. He was an amazing player for a middle school guitarist, but then he was OK with that and never got better and had issues with his playing that continued through high school.

I just stopped being in bands with him. He got butt hurt, but I realized after he had been playing for 6 years and hadn't gotten better in the past 4 that he was never going to fix his problems and wasn't worth my time.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
xSmellyxSkunkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
I played in bands with a friend through all of middle school and high school. He was an amazing player for a middle school guitarist, but then he was OK with that and never got better and had issues with his playing that continued through high school.

I just stopped being in bands with him. He got butt hurt, but I realized after he had been playing for 6 years and hadn't gotten better in the past 4 that he was never going to fix his problems and wasn't worth my time.

Did he just not practice or was he just bad?
My buddy practices, he just has really bad adhd and every 20 mins hes on his iphone showing us some ******ed ass video on youtube. I can only imagine how bad it gets when hes alone.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I think if you are in the band, you should be ready to listen to your bandmates' comments and advice about your playing. I pretty much appreciate it if somebody hears a mistake in my playing and tells me about it. Sometimes that's the only way to notice your mistakes. I mean, don't be an asshole. Just tell him "this riff doesn't sound right so let's check what's wrong with it." In our band we comment each others' playing all the time to make it sound perfect. If I want the drummer to play more heavy beat, I'll tell him. And if the song just doesn't work, I'll tell my bandmates. And they don't get insulted. We are just trying to improve our songs.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Sliide90027

Two Words...

Metronome

&

Practice

Those who are not Naturals must practice.

If his other skills are there as you say, time has a chance to bring him into time, and that is what it is all about. He also has to have practice with the Drummer as well as with the Band. If he has any hope, he will sync with the Drummer and allow the group to go forward while he works with the metronome.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

But really. If he gets insulted when you criticize his playing, you will have problems in the future... Bandmates should understand each other. And yeah, bassist should listen to the drummer and drummer should listen to the bassist.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
bassplayerJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSmellyxSkunkx
Did he just not practice or was he just bad?
My buddy practices, he just has really bad adhd and every 20 mins hes on his iphone showing us some ******ed ass video on youtube. I can only imagine how bad it gets when hes alone.

I'd be interested to see what he's practicing then. sitting with your bass watching covers isn't practicing. Helpful? maybe at times. But I agree with the other posts that have said:

Metronome and Practice.

And you just gotta make sure when you talk to him about it that you try to say it in a way that doesn't say "hey, you suck"...cuz he will get defensive 10 times out of 10 if you put it like that.
bassplayerJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: