Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
detrath

Pedal Board Setup Suggestions?

Hi guys. First post here! Looking forward to checking out this forum.

Anyway, I'm putting a pedal board together and want your help on setting it up properly/most efficiently. The style of music I'm playing is is mostly ambient/rock. I play in church a lot and am doing a lot of volume swells and some atmospheric type stuff. Here is the set up I am going for and this is the chain I planned on running but that's where I need your help...

VOX AC30 AMP <-- Xotic RC Booster <-- Boss RV-5 Reverb <-- Line 6 DL4 Delay <-- Boss TR-2 Tremolo <-- Electro-Harmonix POG2 <-- Mooer Cruncher Distortion <-- Mad Professor Little Green Wonder <-- Dunlop DVP1 Volume Pedal <-- MXR CSP202 Compressor <-- Hardwire CT-2 Tuner <-- CMATmods Buffer Pedal<-- GUITAR

I have a few questions about this setup:

1. Should I go tuner out from volume pedal and take tuner out of the main chain?
2. Should I put distortion/overdrives BEFORE volume pedal? I can sometimes hear the click through the amp when engaging distortion
3. Is compressor in the right spot? I'm using it mainly for some extra sustain for volume swells

I've read a few places to put the RC Booster at the end of the chain and leave it on all the time as it does well for your tone. I also use it for minor EQ adjustments.

Any advice about this setup would be great! I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on the proper setup of these pedals! Thank you in advance.

Last edited by detrath : 10-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.
detrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrath
Hi guys. First post here! Looking forward to checking out this forum.

welcome. there is a bunch of metal players on this forum, so keep that in mind

Quote:
VOX AC30 AMP <-- Xotic RC Booster <-- Boss RV-5 Reverb <-- Line 6 DL4 Delay <-- Boss TR-2 Tremolo <-- Electro-Harmonix POG2 <-- Mooer Cruncher Distortion <-- Mad Professor Little Green Wonder <-- Dunlop DVP1 Volume Pedal <-- MXR CSP202 Compressor <-- Hardwire CT-2 Tuner <-- CMATmods Buffer Pedal<-- GUITAR

this is pretty standard, i don't see any obvious flaws. the booster at the end could possibly muddy your reverb and delay effects, but i don't see that as a serious problem if it is used at lower settings.

Quote:
I have a few questions about this setup:

1. Should I go tuner out from volume pedal and take tuner out of the main chain?

that is one option. i don't see a huge problem running it as-is but you should try both and see if it makes a difference.

Quote:
2. Should I put distortion/overdrives BEFORE volume pedal? I can sometimes hear the click through the amp when engaging distortion

you could do that, this wouldn't starve signal from the distortion pedals and you'd get a more predictable result that way, but you'd loose the ability to starve signal from the distortion pedals and some people like that.

Quote:
3. Is compressor in the right spot? I'm using it mainly for some extra sustain for volume swells

a compressor is a different kind of beast for effects, you really have two schools of thought on compressor:

-guitar effect
-studio effect

as a guitar effect, we run them as sustain pedals pretty much and where you are running it is fine for that application.

as a studio effect you can place it before or after any effect when you want to 'tame' another effect

for example, if you were running a phaser and the 'whooshing' gets really dominant, then you could run the compressor after the phaser to tame the extreme whooshing. or if you have a pedal that is getting hit really hard by a signal (say you POG that is run after you distortion effects) then you could 'tame' the signal getting fed to the POG by running a compressor before it.

Quote:
I've read a few places to put the RC Booster at the end of the chain and leave it on all the time as it does well for your tone. I also use it for minor EQ adjustments.

this is per preference. i like to run boosts before my OD and fuzz to drive them harder. mind you also running your boost at the end could color you modulation and delay-style effects.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
detrath

Sounds great. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate the reply. I'm going to try the OD's before the volume pedal... Getting that engage click through the PA isn't nice!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
ikey_

the ac 30 does have a loop right? it is extra work / lines, but i would run the reverb, delay, and trem in my loop. depending if the loop signal is buffered, run the buffer in the loop as well.

you want the comp as close to the guitar as possible, but same with the tuner. i myself chose to go tuner first then comp.

i would also advise to take any un-needed pedals off the board, which is completely personal. for example, do you use the boost, distortion and OD?

you might find on the top boost channel with an OD and the boost enguaged, you get enough distortion already.

the vox already has a great spring reverb....is there a reason you are using the boss?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
detrath

On the AC30, I'm using it as clean as possible so I've read that if you aren't dirtying up the amp naturally at all, then you shouldn't really need to use the FX loop, but of course it comes down to preference.

And I like the Boss' modulation feature, it has that atmospheric sound I like for ambient stuff.

The RC Booster I actually have the gain all the way down, using it as a tone booster/minor EQ adjustments rather than a level booster for lead riffs/solos.

Good point on the OD/distortions though. That is something I'll have to experiment with. I appreciate your feedback!

Rate This Thread: