Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Burgery
scatterbrain
 
Burgery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: exiles
ridiculous. absolutely and completely unreasonable. that's not cool, britain needs to get their shit together
__________________
dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.
 
Casketcreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Fun (and genuinely true) fact. I was the second person in Northern Ireland to be arrested for (allegedly) harassing someone via Facebook.

I find out on Friday morning whether I will be the second person convicted as well.
__________________
Do you like silly Northern Irish horror punk?
Little Miss Stakes Bandcamp
Little Miss Stakes Facebook

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
Burgery
scatterbrain
 
Burgery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: exiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcreep
Fun (and genuinely true) fact. I was the second person in Northern Ireland to be arrested for (allegedly) harassing someone via Facebook.

I find out on Friday morning whether I will be the second person convicted as well.

what u do
__________________
dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes
 
SaintsofNowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Read about that earlier. It's pretty disturbing you can get jailed for that sort of comment. Happened quite a lot in UK lately, people getting arrested for posts on twitter or facebook that aren't offensive at all, or people who posted things while drunk.

Shit if they were to scan UG for offensive posts we'd all get arrested, and I doubt anyone here means all the offensive, asburd things they say here.


this

also i hate the jews

they fabricated the holocaust
__________________
•••Phase I: Electric Velvet••• •••CottonCandy•••

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
Malchius
....
 
Malchius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
The UK does have the freedom of speech in the same way as the states. We have what is called a negative right to freedom of expression, but as soon as that is abused you can be locked up. If you harrass someone you're going to get locked up.

I don't agree with the sentence, but even with the right to say what you want, some things shouldn't be said. Especially about a 5 year old girl with cerebal palsy who's been kidnapped.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcreep
Fun (and genuinely true) fact. I was the second person in Northern Ireland to be arrested for (allegedly) harassing someone via Facebook.

I find out on Friday morning whether I will be the second person convicted as well.

Awesome claim to fame.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
 
jthm_guitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Coast USA
That's one thing the USA has over (all?) other countries- freedom of speech. I've read stories of people in the UK and Australia being arrested for writing about illegal acts as a joke and I cannot get my mind around that. Speech should be unconditionally free.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
when you sense an attack slap the sack

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat
 
ali.guitarkid7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lacrimosa soos a mal naaier
Look, let's just say it: he's an asshole.


But if you think he should go to jail for making "offensive" comments then you have no understanding of free speech.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickman411
We're all the best except for Ali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #29
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.
 
Casketcreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Awesome claim to fame.


Yeah, not one I'm particularly proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
what u do


It's a very long story, and not one that I care to get into. It involves an ex who treated me rather badly and we'll leave it at that.

The other person and I settled it with an Undertaking, but I found out a few months after that the PPS (public prosecution service) can still convict me for it, completely independent of the person who was pressing the charges. So yeah, court on Friday for it. I've been assured that because we sorted it out it'll not go anywhere, still a pretty daunting situation to be in.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
That's one thing the USA has over (all?) other countries- freedom of speech.

Are you being serious? I can't tell.
__________________
Do you like silly Northern Irish horror punk?
Little Miss Stakes Bandcamp
Little Miss Stakes Facebook

New E.P available now.

Last edited by Casketcreep : 10-08-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
naedauuf
Registered User
 
naedauuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchius
The UK does have the freedom of speech in the same way as the states. We have what is called a negative right to freedom of expression, but as soon as that is abused you can be locked up. If you harrass someone you're going to get locked up.

I don't agree with the sentence, but even with the right to say what you want, some things shouldn't be said. Especially about a 5 year old girl with cerebal palsy who's been kidnapped.

So basically, you say this guy should be jailed because you didn't like what he said. That's exactly what everyone in this thread is saying is so ****ing stupid. You get your feelings hurt, so he deserves to have 12 weeks of his life taken away? ****ing bullshit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.


naedauuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchius
The UK does have the freedom of speech in the same way as the states. We have what is called a negative right to freedom of expression, but as soon as that is abused you can be locked up. If you harrass someone you're going to get locked up.

I don't agree with the sentence, but even with the right to say what you want, some things shouldn't be said. Especially about a 5 year old girl with cerebal palsy who's been kidnapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Chorley magistrates heard members of the public were so upset about his posts they reported them to the police.

About 50 people went to his home. He was arrested at a separate address.
|Because, of course, the mob is always right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Malchius
....
 
Malchius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
So basically, you say this guy should be jailed because you didn't like what he said. That's exactly what everyone in this thread is saying is so ****ing stupid. You get your feelings hurt, so he deserves to have 12 weeks of his life taken away? ****ing bullshit.


I didn't say that he should be jailed. I stated what the law says. My opinion is different from from the law, but even though you can say horrific things about someone doesn't mean you should say it.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.
 
Casketcreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
The first guy in Northern Ireland to be arrested for a post on facebook was a guy who was drunk and jokingly referred to his fianc้ as a fenian.

FIANCษ!

It's absolutely ridiculous. And although it's a word that's heavily frowned upon over here he clearly meant it in jest.
__________________
Do you like silly Northern Irish horror punk?
Little Miss Stakes Bandcamp
Little Miss Stakes Facebook

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
If you lived in the UK you would care. As an American, this doesn't affect you at all though. It's pretty ****ed up how a "first world" country like that can jail you for offensive things said. I've said worse shit than whatever he said on the net, I'm sure, and it's just incredible how I could've gone to jail for those comments in the UK. What is this Nazi Germany?



Guy is just lucky the girl's dad didn't murder him.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
andyscoot
UG Senior Member
 
andyscoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester
In short, they arrest these guys so they don't have to go out and catch the real criminals that might do criminal stuff like hurt them. It keeps the numbers up.
andyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #36
ErikLensherr
blackflag pls
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
That's fucking ******ed


Seriously though, that guys is a cunt. What the hell do I care if he gets arrested?

Because first they came for the trolls....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Tfw the woman you love is without her dog and having night terrors and u can't do anything to help her
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlang01
Space sucks, NASA sucks. Yeah I said it. Bunch of nerds, with their rockets and garbage. There's no pussy up in space anyways.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #37
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.
 
Casketcreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyscoot
In short, they arrest these guys so they don't have to go out and catch the real criminals that might do criminal stuff like hurt them. It keeps the numbers up.


Or rather, because the evidence is right there, open and public, directly connected to a page filled with their personal details. So it's not too hard to find them.
__________________
Do you like silly Northern Irish horror punk?
Little Miss Stakes Bandcamp
Little Miss Stakes Facebook

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
Callum feeble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Yeah, its bull. I live in britain and we deal with stuff like this alot. I dont agree with everything america does, but i do admire the freedom of speech you have, its something we could do with.
Callum feeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #39
shreddymcshred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bill Hudson is a moron
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #40
magnus_maximus
lord of the files
 
magnus_maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: behind you
Britain likes to enforce it's policy of "keep it cricket, chaps", and clearly this was most definitely not cricket.

As much as I love free speech, some people take advantage of it with no intention other than causing hurt. To that extent, he deserves what he got.
__________________
captain cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.