Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Heagachongoose

Upto B-52 W/ Mods, New Toy

Hey guys, its been awhile since ive been on the site so excuse my noobishness.
After leaving the realm of metalcore to primarily focus on more pop focused endeavors Ive recently decided to delve back into the wonderful world of malicious metal

Quite honestly for anything heavier than country my vox 100vt aint cuttin it. Ive done some homework and looked around and stumbled across a B-52 AT100....for $250..which is a good price for a working all tube head REGARDLESS, so needless to say i bought it and it should be here within the week. The previous owner had modified the lead channel. He said, and i quote, "I changed the resistors to push the gain a little harder". I'm no amp mechanic, the extent of my mechanic knowledge lies in bikes and cars lol. But the guy i bought it from has actually been a big time amp techie and currently owns redline amps?? so im going to assume this dudes got his shit right and knows what he's doing.

So for anyone that has any info on these amps, id greatly appreciate some input here, and for anyone that would have any info on mods for these amps, i would even morer greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks and rock hard

O!H!.............
Heagachongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

people like the B52's, but i have never played one. i have heard they do have issues every once in a while, i have no idea if they have worked that out.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
8footsativaist
Un-Registered Guest

They came out back when I was last active, and people seemed to really enjoy them. I even saw a couple pop up over here. Apparently they tend to be quite bright, but people were definitely being positive about them given the price vs sound vs reliability factors.
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
8footsativaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

They're decent for metal.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138 fill this out and we may be able to suggest some other amps better.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Looks to me that he already bought the B52

The B52 AT100 series is really decent amp for the money. I've played it several times and was pretty impressed with both the cleans and the drive. I could never really figure out the difference between OD1 and OD2 but oh well. I think for $250 it is a good amp. They have had some quality issues in the past but hey.....what can you expect for $250.

I'd be curious to learn more about what the mod was that he did. Ask him for more detail in the event you want to unmod it. I believe it does have both tube rectification and solid state rectification. The only mods I can think of are better tubes and better than stock cabs.

When you do get the amp, please do a NAD thread and list out what tubes it has and what cab/speakers you are using.

Have fun!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1257940
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Heagachongoose

Thanks for thi input.

And yes I have already bought the amp.

I've personally never played the amp but I've listened to sound clips and this amp sounds pretty damn nasty. Well worth the $250 sound wise. But in all honesty in most every situation you get what you pay for.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Make sure you check out this youtube demo by bulletrocks522

He was the coolest and youngest UG'r I know. He had a B52 AT combo before he got his Mark III.

It has a bit of a long intro but is worth watch otherwise. If you want to go strait to metal skip to 6:30. This was my intro to the B52 AT but I've played it 2 or 3 times as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Heagachongoose

Good vid. That kids not bad. Especially for being 12 lol.

Just got an update on the head, should be here in 3 days. And once it gets here I will for sure check out those mods and post it up.

Thanks for all the input guys but now my problem is I have no cab lol. Found a used bugera 4-12 at gc for 120$. Anyone tried this combination before?

For reference ill be running a mockingbird through a bad monkey to the b-52 and a boss eq and rp250 in the loop.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Bugera cabs are not that great from what I hear but that is a great price. I still think I'd rather have a decent 212. What's on you craigslist?

Also, if you open up the amp make sure not to touch anything on the inside. If you must make sure you use chop sticks or something.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i like my blue voodoo more than the B52 when i tried it a while back. granted the B52 did have factory tubes, and my blue voodoo is all JJ, that could make the difference right there.

but HNGD! nice pickup for a good price

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Pictures or it's a Behringer.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Heagachongoose

I also found a carvin cab for $300 and a h&k for $199. The h&k has Celestion rock drivers (supposed to be slightly modded v30's). I know carvin makes some really good stuff but I don't want to spend over $200 if I have to. Plus I'd have to drive 4 hours to get it lol. I think the cab came from a warp model not sure on the specifics. 280watt h&k warp 4x12as the add reads. If I remember correctly the warp series was supposed to be devoted to down-tuned metal enthusiasts. Conveniently I am a down-tun metal enthusiastM

I've done my fair share of electronics work so no worries there. I treat my amps better than my children

And I'll get those pics as soon as it comes in the mail
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Heagachongoose

Quote:
Bugera cabs are not that great from what I hear but that is a great price. I still think I'd rather have a decent 212. What's on you craigslist?

A 2x12 would be the logical thing to get but one guy I play with runs a Mesa full stack and the other guys got a 5150 stack. Ive been playing through a vt100 combo (I would not suggest this amp for metal lol) and I could barely hear myself when I was sitting on my amp I mean sure a 2x12 can get loud but the sound dispersion of my 2x12 ain't cuttin it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Get it off the ground a foot or three. Stick it on a milkcrate or even better, an angled amp stand.

Btw a half stack is a 4x12, a full stack is two of them. ie 8x12 all up.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Heagachongoose

Quote:
Get it off the ground a foot or three. Stick it on a milkcrate or even better, an angled amp stand.

I understand this.... Im not ******ed lol. Regardless of how you place a 2x12 it would be hard pressed to compete with two full stacks. It will never move enough air to keep up.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heagachongoose
A 2x12 would be the logical thing to get but one guy I play with runs a Mesa full stack and the other guys got a 5150 stack. Ive been playing through a vt100 combo (I would not suggest this amp for metal lol) and I could barely hear myself when I was sitting on my amp I mean sure a 2x12 can get loud but the sound dispersion of my 2x12 ain't cuttin it.

Well that is most of your problem. I get what you are saying but don't expect to hear yourself sitting on your speakers.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Heagachongoose

Hahaha. Yes you are right. I didn't mean "sitting on my amp" in a literal term. I was goin for the whole "being overpowered by two other stacks" effect
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
I understand this.... Im not ******ed lol. Regardless of how you place a 2x12 it would be hard pressed to compete with two full stacks. It will never move enough air to keep up.

Not true at all. You could easily get a 2x12 rig that is louder than two full stacks... Wattage is the determinant factor here, not number of speakers.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Hahaha. Yes you are right. I didn't mean "sitting on my amp" in a literal term. I was goin for the whole "being overpowered by two other stacks" effect

I pictured you sitting on your 2x12 playing your guitar with full stacks pointed at each of your ears.

Don't drop your mids either. If you cut them you will disappear faster then a fart in a tornado.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Heagachongoose

You are correct sir. Volume-wise, supposing the 2x12 is directed at the listener, there should be no problem. But a 4x12 provides sound dispersion, hit, and feel that would be very difficult to find in a 2x12. Volume technically isn't my issue. My issue is getting my volume to project.

This forum is gettIng very sidetracked lol.

I'm thinking I will go for a h&k vortex 4x12. I've heard really good stuff about those cabs. I can get it cheap and it comes with celestions. Seems like a steal to me.

Anyone use h&k cabs?

Rate This Thread: