Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Should every guitarist know his/scales?
Definatly. 13 48.15%
A majority of them, yes. 2 7.41%
Some... 8 29.63%
Maybe one or two.. 0 0%
Nope. 1 3.70%
WHO CARES LETS JUST PLAY!!! 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Upto I don't know anything about guitar, but LOVE to play!

So to everyone out there reading this.. Hi!!!

I'm new here at Ultimate-Guitar and I plan on submitting some chords and such.. I love this place so much!!!

ANYWAYS!!!

I'm putting this out here because I have a couple questions that have been bothering me for quite sometime now.

You see, I've had my guitar for almost two years now, and I've been playing for around a year and a half. Here's the thing, for the first year I played I was in formal lessons and I hated it. So, I quit and began teaching myself. I found that I learned faster without someone telling me what to do... Since I quit, I have been practicing simple struming patterns, I haven't tried to learn how to play or read tabs at all, I don't practice my scales, but I'm good. And I don't mean that in a haha I'm better than you way. It's just like, I'm good because I practice daily for 2-3 hours at a time, and in my opinion the simplicity of how and what I play is pretty in a sense. My teacher always said that I would need to have my scales memorized in the future, but I can't seem to find any need for them. I guess in a way I might just be ignorant to guitar playing in general, but I;m not doing it to become a famous guitarist that travels around the world to sold out crowds or anything, I'm just doing it becasue it's something fun to do and it's relaxing and therapeutic for me in a way. I like playing, but I don't want to know the nitty gritty details of it all...



My questions are:

Does it make me a bad guitarist if I'm comfortable where I'm at and I don't really want to learn anything new for a while?

AND

Am I ever going to need to know my scales in the future?





I'm really confused.. maybe we could start a little debate here or something? Everyone's opinion is valuable and appriciated, just be nice... okay?

Thanks to you all and much love!!



Isabel ♥





ER MAH GERD LLAMA!!!!

Last edited by izzabelable : 10-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
HotspurJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Couple of things:

The first is that you don't need to know a lot of scales. You really need to know four. The major, minor, major pentatonic and minor pentatonic. Unless you get into jazz, that's really all you need to know.

Now, look, the truth is that if you're happy with what you're playing, and having a good time, then don't worry about it too much yet.

You're not a "bad" guitarist for not knowing this stuff. You're just a limited one. And, again, if you like how you play, fine, no big deal, don't worry about it.

A little bit of scale knowledge, and some experience and understanding how to use them, will open up MORE ways to enjoy your instrument. And that's a good thing. But if you're not excited by that, then don't turn playing the guitar into homework.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Slashiepie
Banged
 
Slashiepie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzabelable


My questions are:

Does it make me a bad guitarist if I'm comfortable where I'm at and I don't really want to learn anything new for a while?

AND

Am I ever going to need to know my scales in the future?


1) Depends, unless you are constantly improving in your comfort zone and perfecting things, you are probably not progressing as quickly as you could. But your goal is to have fun and you are accomplishing that goal.

2) Dependant on what you do in the future, but if you want as you said to "submitt chords and whatsoever" you better learn some thery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 10-09-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
:-D
hi
 
:-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
please change the color of your text to negro so i can read it easily and bestow upon you an ageless wisdom
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
You just won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
Learning fast is one thing, learning well is another.
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
If you are comfortable in your playing and having fun with the instrument, then you have nothing to worry about. I'll get a lot of hate for this, but in my opinion, theory is not for everyone. For some people, it's overwhelming, confusing, and complicates everything they want/try to do, and for other people, it's the ONLY way to learn guitar. I personally think it's best for people to learn guitar in a way that makes them the most comfortable and satisfied with what they're doing. If that means learning chords and singing to them, looking up tabs and playing those, learning songs by ear, learning music theory, or just jamming whatever sounds good with friends. Whatever makes you enjoy the instrument. Personally, I started at age 5 with formal guitar lessons, learning theory and reading actual music, all of which was pretty boring for a 5-13 year old. I wanted to learn AC/DC, Steppenwolf, and Guns N' Roses, not Greensleeves, how to play Fingerstyle, and Blues. When I figured out I could just look up TABs for free here on UG, I just stopped going to my guitar lessons. Now, I'm in a band and I'm writing my own songs. We still do covers, and I like to learn new songs on a regular basis for influence, skill building, and because it's fun, but now I'm working on re-learning all of the theory that I have already been taught because it makes writing/improving solos much easier. I don't actually use it for song writing much. I like that to be a more natural experience. I'm sure if our songwriting approach changes then it would be more useful, but the way we write now, I have no real use for it. Obviously just what I have learned and am learning about my solos would carry over for riffs and such, I'm just saying that I don't really keep the theory end of things in mind when I write riffs, but when I figure out the key of them and what scale(s) are available to me to use over them. I'm sure that's not the "proper" way to go about things, but it works for me, so that's the way I'm gonna do it. Really, theory is what you make of it. It can be a useful tool or the best way to put yourself to sleep. In the end, as long as you are enjoying yourself, you're doing it right.

EDIT: Wow...goddamn Novel^

TL;DR - The "proper/correct" way to play/learn guitar is the way that is the most fun for you.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 10-09-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith
 
CarsonStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzabelable

You see, I've had my guitar for almost two years now, and I've been playing for around a year and a half. Here's the thing, for the first year I played I was in formal lessons and I hated it.


Your teacher, his/her teaching style, and what they're trying to teach you has a lot to do with how much you enjoy going to lessons and working on what you're taught. I've only ever taken lessons from one music school because I trust the two instructors there, and their teaching styles mesh well with how I want to learn. Granted, I basically just needed supervisions and correction of what I'd already taught myself at the time, but from what I've heard from other folks, good teachers are as rare as hens' teeth.


Quote:
So, I quit and began teaching myself. I found that I learned faster without someone telling me what to do... Since I quit, I have been practicing simple struming patterns, I haven't tried to learn how to play or read tabs at all, I don't practice my scales, but I'm good.


How do you know you're good? Has anyone with a better ear than yours confirmed your assertions? I don't ask that to be a jerk, but I honestly thought my first few attempts at soloing were good, but as soon as I played them for anyone with a clue, they immediately could tell that I wasn't harmonizing to the chords underneath. As soon as someone pointed that out to me, I fixed it. My solos are infinitely better now.

Quote:
My teacher always said that I would need to have my scales memorized in the future, but I can't seem to find any need for them.


You don't see any need for them because you're not advanced enough to understand what you'll need them for. And, that's fine; when I first started playing, I mostly played chords and arpeggios. Depending on the style of music you play, that might be all you need. But, you will probably want to break out of that rut eventually, and when you do, you'll know where you need to go and how to get there.

Quote:
I guess in a way I might just be ignorant to guitar playing in general, but I;m not doing it to become a famous guitarist that travels around the world to sold out crowds or anything, I'm just doing it becasue it's something fun to do and it's relaxing and therapeutic for me in a way. I like playing, but I don't want to know the nitty gritty details of it all...


And there's nothing wrong with that. You'll probably eventually either absorb everything you need to know, or develop your ear well enough to know what works and what doesn't. A good teacher will get you there faster, but by all means, approach the instrument in the way that makes it fun for you. Once I could form a power chord I did nothing but pretend I was Aerosmith for a few months.



Quote:
Does it make me a bad guitarist if I'm comfortable where I'm at and I don't really want to learn anything new for a while?


No, it doesn't. Some styles of music don't require some techniques. So far, I've approached learning as a "What do I need to know in order to play what I just wrote?" kinda thing, and it's worked for me so far.

Quote:
Am I ever going to need to know my scales in the future?


Probably. But, I'd imagine that by the time you care, you'll already know them.

Quote:
ER MAH GERD LLAMA!!!!


GERSHBERMS!
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr

Now, look, the truth is that if you're happy with what you're playing, and having a good time, then don't worry about it too much yet.


YAY! I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr

A little bit of scale knowledge, and some experience and understanding how to use them, will open up MORE ways to enjoy your instrument. And that's a good thing. But if you're not excited by that, then don't turn playing the guitar into homework.



Thank you! This how I've been thinking of it, because it's one of those things where the situation is like "if it's not fun to play, then why should I play at all?" Ya know? I completely agree with the aditional scale knowledge piece.. however, I'm at the point where scales are frustrating and it's harder to focus on memorizing them, when I'm also having to memorize things form eight separate classes fom school, I'm sure you understand.
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
Just at least please figure out how to play the most basic thing...doe-ray-me -fa -so -la- tee -doe. the major scale, the same fingering can apply to the minor. It's really easy to learn, at least in 1 position you can learn it in an hour. You can then play in key with others without hitting those bad notes.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie

1) Depends, unless you are constantly improving in your comfort zone and perfecting things, you are probably not progressing as quickly as you could. But your goal is to have fun and you are accomplishing that goal.


I like to think I am, I learn new chords frequently because I want to know them for a song or something. I most likely could be progressing faster, but I'm just doing what's fun right now, and it seems to be working out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie

2) Dependant on what you do in the future, but if you want as you said to "submitt chords and whatsoever" you better learn some thery.


I do know some theory, because I took a class on it a year ago. I don't particularly like it, and it doesn't really work with my learning style. I like it when music is easy to read and simple, to the point, you know? But I can see where you're coming from, and your imput is appreciated
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
please change the color of your text to negro so i can read it easily and bestow upon you an ageless wisdom


I have changed it to black and yea... Please do bestow your ageless wisdom, I beg of you.
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Learning fast is one thing, learning well is another.


PSHSHSHSHSSHHSHSHSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mind blown.
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
:-D
hi
 
:-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
i meant white, whoops

silly me
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeo Avis
You just won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
You don't need to do anything in life but eat, sleep, die, and pay taxes. Everything else is up to you. If you don't want to learn scales, than don't! It works for you.
However, if you do, at any point in your life, want to get serious about the guitar, or any instrument for that matter, then memorizing scales and learning theory is a good thing. Don't worry about this until you get to that point though - just play for fun and love it like you're doing
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Wow. I did not expect a response like this... well done young jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

I'll get a lot of hate for this, but in my opinion, theory is not for everyone. For some people, it's overwhelming, confusing, and complicates everything they want/try to do, and for other people, it's the ONLY way to learn guitar. I personally think it's best for people to learn guitar in a way that makes them the most comfortable and satisfied with what they're doing. If that means learning chords and singing to them, looking up tabs and playing those, learning songs by ear, learning music theory, or just jamming whatever sounds good with friends. Whatever makes you enjoy the instrument.


YES!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO CONVEY!!!! You my dear, are awesome. I personally learn by learing chords and singing to them, and playing songs by ear, spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

Personally, I started at age 5 with formal guitar lessons, learning theory and reading actual music, all of which was pretty boring for a 5-13 year old. I wanted to learn AC/DC, Steppenwolf, and Guns N' Roses, not Greensleeves, how to play Fingerstyle, and Blues. When I figured out I could just look up TABs for free here on UG, I just stopped going to my guitar lessons.


Exactly what happened to me, only I started at age 13.. heehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

I don't actually use it for song writing much. I like that to be a more natural experience. I'm sure if our songwriting approach changes then it would be more useful, but the way we write now, I have no real use for it.


I agree, I write songs too, and I just play what sounds good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

I'm sure that's not the "proper" way to go about things, but it works for me, so that's the way I'm gonna do it. Really, theory is what you make of it. It can be a useful tool or the best way to put yourself to sleep. In the end, as long as you are enjoying yourself, you're doing it right.


I have never done things the "proper" way and I'm still functioning correctly, so yea I agree with almost everything said here, and I am enjoying myself so WOOT!


*confidence boosted 10 pts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

EDIT: Wow...goddamn Novel^


it helped though!
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
I can't read that stuff in the OP. Don't alter your text.

But judging from the options in the poll I'd wager that you don't have a firm grasp of music theory. You don't need to learn a ton of scales, you need to know a few and how to use accidentals. Beyond that learning a book full of scales is sort of redundant.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 10-09-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Just at least please figure out how to play the most basic thing...doe-ray-me -fa -so -la- tee -doe. the major scale, the same fingering can apply to the minor. It's really easy to learn, at least in 1 position you can learn it in an hour. You can then play in key with others without hitting those bad notes.


I do at least know how to do that! I think that was the first thing my teacher taught me... And I still practice playing "doe-ray-me -fa -so -la- tee -doe" as a warm up or the like

Thanks
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
izzabelable
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
i meant white, whoops

silly me


But the background is white? Wouldn't that make it harder to read???
izzabelable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
It's "Mi" and "Ti". "Me" (pronounced May) and "Te" (Pronounced Tay) are for minor thirds and sevenths.
This is where the real thread begins...
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Many users have changed the bachground to black, and therfore the default text is displayed as white. Changing your text style is only going to annoy some people, so just leave it as default.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.