Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Having lots of trouble getting my fretting hand in position..

So i very recently restrung and tuned my guitar to Drop B / A# / A and decided to have some fun playing around with some heavier songs.

I've been quickly learning Home is For the Heartless with no difficulties at all until one particular tapping lick which i thought wouldn't stump me at all, and it has quite significantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEuF9A43Jco#t=2m42s

The lick is just...

e|- 17--8--7--5 x 4

e|- 20--8--7--5 x 4

e|- 19--8--7--5 x 4

e|- 15--8--7--5 x 4

I've never had much trouble with the tapping part of licks like this one, but the problem i'm having is getting my fretting hand in position every time for the pull off, particularly for the 8th and 7th fret. It's like my ring finger instinctively arrives just that split second before my pinky. It's really frustrating and i've tried slowing myself down significantly but it's still a struggle even at like 25-50% tempo or so.

Does anyone have some sort of advice for my situation here? Could it be more of a finger independence issue than anything else? Or should i just stick to playing it much slower for now?

EDIT: I've been practicing this for the last hour or so and now i'm encountering a different problem which i've also never had before.
My fretting hand really seems to really be cramping up after around 10-15seconds of playing that part at the normal tempo and i rapidly lose rhythm and general technique.. dafuq

Last edited by vayne92 : 10-09-2012 at 04:02 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Bad Kharmel

yeah, try some finger independence exercises, and also try just pulling off 8 7 5 until you can do it
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Yep, pretty much all about independence and taking it slow. At least you've noticed the fingers are out of sequence, a lot of guys never spot it and all their tapping sounds like shit. >.<
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: