Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Hammerstein7488

Really not knowing where to start...

Hey guys,

I've recently been writing a lot of poetry and have been doing quite well, and I've decided that i want to take my guitar playing more seriously so it can accompany the things which I write.

What I'm most interested in is being able to know my way around the guitar intuitively; to be able to have a tune in my head and either be able to play it, or at least be able to write the notation in order to play it. For most of my life I have been making random little tunes up in my head and I want to be able to translate those tunes to the guitar just as easily as I hum them to myself.

I know that this would require a shedload of work but I have every intention of committing myself to this idea and I have time on my side to get it done. I'm very fastidious when i'm focusing on something and I have really think i'm committed enough to get there.

My main problem is that I don't know where to start. So far I've just been bumming around with my guitar, just improvising the best I can. I enjoy this a lot and I feel that I can find my way around it better as time goes on, but i'd like to know if anyone has any tips and techniques for helping me with this.

Last edited by Hammerstein7488 : 10-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Hammerstein7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Maybe try to record the melodies in your head. You can sing them and record your singing. After that try to find the notes on your fretboard. It's all about ear training and maybe the easiest way to start it is to listen to a simple riff and try to play it on a guitar. Start with one note. Try to find that note on your guitar. Of course knowing some scales might help you. It makes it easier to find the next note. Play lots of chords and listen to how they sound. Listen to different chord progressions. For example, try to learn how I-IV-V sounds like and try to recognize that chord progression in different songs. It's a good starting point.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
HotspurJr

Ear training. Ear training. Ear training.

Start with the functional ear trainer (a free download from Miles.Be) but you may want to supplement it with a book, as well (I like Shroeder and Wyatt's "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician.")
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Ear training will help a lot. Everyone around here seems to agree on the Functional Ear Trainer from miles.be so I'll mention that one.

As far as applying your knowledge to the guitar that will take quite a bit of time, but is well worth it. Start by learning to match pitches using the guitar. Hum a note then find it on the guitar. It will take a lot of practice, but it will always get easier and easier. Then you can move on to learning to recognize intervals and play them. Then move onto transcribing simple melodies.

From there a little basic theory knowledge will help you figure out how to add chords to your melodies so I would suggest finding a book or teacher for this. If you want good books then check out this thread http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1546858

Don't sweat it if your progress is slow at start. It's a life-long journey.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
wolflen

ok...learn the basics of diatonic harmony..and basic theory..from what you have requested..this should meet your needs for now..it will take the better part of a year for it to make sense..along with this..study the songs of the beatles..leonard cohen..billy joel..joni mitchell...songwriters..!

the above wrote many songs using very few chords in their songs..but their strength was the melody/lyric..while they did not have extensive knowledge of theory..but knew how to write songs that worked..many of the songs they wrote can be defined as "standards"..that is a format/structure that is used in songwriting..you would do well in the study of their works..

play well

wolf
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: