Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
cha33 armstrong
has 2 UG medals

truss rod adjustment

Ok so this has probably been asked before but my 6-20 frets buzz on my p-bass even though I have put the saddles all the way up so I think its time for an adjustment so which way do I turn the alan key & by the way you adjust it from the 1st fret area not the 20th fret area
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

should apply to all basses with the truss rod adjust-y bit on the head
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Captaincranky

It applies to any truss rod, whether the adjuster is on the headstock, or under the souind hole of an acoustic guitar.

Loosening the adjuster, (turning it counter clockwise), puts "relief" in the neck. Which is to say that it causes the neck to bow AWAY from the strings.

Buzzing is usually caused by the neck being "too straight", or being bent TOWARD the strings.

Fret the E string at the 1st fret, and then again at the 13th. Midway between those two points, you should see a bit of daylight between the string and the 6th or 7th fret.

Normally only a few thousandths of clearance is all that's needed. But, I'm not certain of the exact measurement called for on a bass.

If you are going to REMOVE relief, (make the neck straighter), you should probably drop the tuning a couple of notes before tightening the adjuster.

If you are going to put relief in by loosening the adjuster, you can leave the guitar at full pitch. The string tension will actually help.

Normally, setting the relief doesn't require more than a 1/4 turn either way. Move the adjustment just a bit, then let it settle for a day, then recheck and readjust it if necessary.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
cha33 armstrong
has 2 UG medals

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git

should apply to all basses with the truss rod adjust-y bit on the head

thanks for that it really helps
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
cha33 armstrong
has 2 UG medals

but my neck is bending fretboard upwards so do i need to tighten or loosen the truss rod
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Loosen! Like I said, leave the string tension at full pitch, and loosen the truss rod, (turn it counterclockwise), not more than a 1/4 turn. Leave the guitar settle for a day or so, then check the relief again.

The measurement at the 7th fret, between the string and the fret, should be about .010' of an inch. This is the setting for an acoustic guitar. I don't know the correct measurement for a bass. Check the manufacturer of your bass' website. You might be able to find the manual, or a tutorial in the,"support", section...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: