Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Exedo666

Alternate Picking Problem

I feel a little stupid writing this but this keeps bugging me for 3 months now.

When I alternate pick in a moderate tempo (80-90BPM, sixteenth notes), my right thumb keeps folding every second stroke.
I've watched many guitarists whos thumb is straight, so I'm wandering if this might become a handicap if I progress on to higher speed.

I've tried to fix the issue by maximizing the pressure on the pick but even then I can't get rid of it. Furthermore, when playing typical Black Metal Riffs I don't have that problem, the thumb is straight.

I'm sorry for my bad description, it's not my first language and I don't know how to describe my problem better.

Help is appreciated!
Exedo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Can you take some pictures? Show us how your thumb starts out and then show us how it ends up.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Pick from the wrist. The wrist should flex like when using a hammer and so the finger and thumb that's holding the pick aren't actually moving... it's the whole hand that's moving as one entity.

Also, experiment with how you place your first finger on the underside of the pick. Some players hold it using the actual fingerprint area, whereas others tend to curl it round a bit, so it's the actual "side" of the finger that's touching the pick.

Above all, slow down a little as to get really comfortable with the wrist motion.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Exedo666

Thank you very much for the fast replies!

Here are two pictures (first is the downstroke, the second one the upstroke - should illustrate my concern)

Downstroke: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/57pn4zli/Downstroke.png
Upstroke: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/oyl97431/Upstroke.png

@mdc: Thank you for the advice! I actually tried that a while ago and it worked in a very slow tempo, but only if no string-skipping was involved.

I can't really say what the cause is...Wrong picking motion (Allthough it does feel very comfortable as in no real tension), wrong way of holding the pick - no idea.
Exedo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
J_W

Looks like you're pushing it into that position on the down pick by using your fingers to pick instead of your wrist. More more at the wrist, try to keep your thumb straight.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedo666
Thank you very much for the fast replies!

Here are two pictures (first is the downstroke, the second one the upstroke - should illustrate my concern)

Downstroke: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/57pn4zli/Downstroke.png
Upstroke: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/oyl97431/Upstroke.png

@mdc: Thank you for the advice! I actually tried that a while ago and it worked in a very slow tempo, but only if no string-skipping was involved.

I can't really say what the cause is...Wrong picking motion (Allthough it does feel very comfortable as in no real tension), wrong way of holding the pick - no idea.

Looks a bit like scalpel picking

wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: