Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
D.R.22

Guitar Theory

Hi guys I really want to learn guitar and music theory because I think it is essential in order to play and write music. I was wondering if there are any really good videos, e-books, books or anything that would help me learn on my own or you would strongly recommend a teacher?
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I learned a lot from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Mu...g/dp/1440511829

It's not guitar specific, but it does teach a lot of the core principles of music theory in an understandable way.

There is also www.musictheory.net which is good.

Honestly though it's kind of hard to beat a good teacher, and by "good teacher" I mean not just some young hot-shot shred head(unless that's what you want to be like), but a really knowledgable and well-rounded player that can easily explain things.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

theory isnt't a technique - moved to MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I learned most of my music theory in Guitar Pro. I even learned to read sheet music.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
D.R.22

Thanks for the replies & how did you learn with guitar pro? I have watched a couple of Lick Library videos and they are quite helpful!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

My mistake, not "most of my music theory", I meant to write "basic music theory".
Over time of learning songs, licks and solos in GP I started to notice some patterns in the solos, and that's how I learned my first scale. Guitar Pro also has many scales tabbed on the whole neck, and you can transcribe tabs into sheet music and vice versa.

...yeah, I forgot to mention, my music theory knowledge sucks.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
HotspurJr

I'm a big fan of Shroeder and Wyatt's "Harmony and Theory."

Combine that with ear training and "The Guitar Fretboard Workbook" and you'll have a really solid foundation.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Learn to read and write standard notation, and transcribe a ton of songs without any instrument.

I've been trying to do this lately, and i can tell you, It's so ****ing hard but i know when i can do it easily, i have reached a level and gained a skill that not even most musicians have, and then i can transcend all boundaries that currently exist in my musical adventure.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
guitluv1

Some very very basic theory knowledge can help you immensely. Especially if you are mostly a rock or blues player. Those styles require very basic theory knowledge for the most part. Of course rock especially is quite a broad genre with a lot of advanced areas. You can find that basic knowledge on virtually every guitar site in the world, including this one.
guitluv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.22
Hi guys I really want to learn guitar and music theory because I think it is essential in order to play and write music. I was wondering if there are any really good videos, e-books, books or anything that would help me learn on my own or you would strongly recommend a teacher?

Hey,

First of all, kudos for wanting to get out there and learn and understand theory. We teach that, and if our link can help, or I can answer any questions, please let me know.

That all said, I want to be fair about something that you said.

Guitar theory is NOT essential to play and write music. Many players learn by just playing and exploring pitch collections, and then using their ear and what sounds "good" to them, are able to write wonderful music.

I was watching a clinic by Guthrie Govan in which he explained that at first he just played what sounded good, and then later learned what scale it was, and later after, learned the theory behind it.

He made a wonderful point when he said, that doing this allowed him to explore the sounds and do as he wished, before the theory "boxed" him in, and so that when you learn theory, its important that you go out and play with it and apply it and try it all different ways.

Theory CAN show you more doors than you might have otherwise found on your own, but its up to you to explore those. For example, theory tells me how a lot of times when I'm in a diatonic jam with someone and I wanna liven it up a bit that I can throw in a bVII, or turn it modal on them, by vamping intentionally over their "major scale leads" a short modal loop, and temporarily twist their tonal center around, like in C superimposing a G Mixo vamp, and have 'em sounding like Emerson Lake and Palmer. Fun stuff.

Like "dude...how did you all of a sudden start sounding so dark and exotic???" (while I'm cheekily twisting their progression to Phrygian)

By the way, MT I know I used the word "modal", but trust me I'm a professional...I know what I'm doing!

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.

Last edited by Sean0913 : 10-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0913
Guitar theory is NOT essential to play and write music. Many players learn by just playing and exploring pitch collections, and then using their ear and what sounds "good" to them, are able to write wonderful music.

One trap here:

If you're going to focus on learning "by ear" make sure you actually have a good, well-trained ear.

(Warning: for many musicians, training your ear is a lot harder than learning theory. Theory is easy).

That is to say, make sure you can play exactly what you hear in your head. Make sure you can listen to a piece of music and quickly figure out how to play it on your instrument.

This will take work and time. But playing by ear is ultimately NOT just about playing what sounds good - it's about being able to really hear what you're doing with your instrument.

I know that sounds silly - how can you not really hear what you play on your instrument, but a simple example can demonstrate the problem. Play "twinkle twinkle little star" - you know this song very well. Do you struggle at all to find the notes to play it?

Then get to work.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Play "twinkle twinkle little star" - you know this song very well. Do you struggle at all to find the notes to play it?

Then get to work.

Playing the melody is the easy part. Try harmonizing it with chords that make sense.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: