User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
Eastwinn
liber abaci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Thank you. I left the thread, then came back just to post something along the lines of what you did... and you phrased it better.

it's a common thing among threads like this. we people are attracted to each other for reasons we may not be proud of. we will filter our perception of ourself, our self-concept, in order to make it match the ideals we hold everyone else to (such as not basing attraction on body size or music tastes or whatever) or else face cognitive dissonance.

just some basic cognitive psychology. hopefully someone who knows more than i do can point me to a term that describes this... adjusting our self-concept to match the expectations we hold of other people.
Eastwinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #42
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

My perfect girlfriend would have the same music taste as me; Pop Punk, Chicago Blues, Extreme Metal, and Grunge.
That being said, is it just me, or does having a good/similar taste in music make a girl existentially more attractive somehow?
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #43
Eastwinn
liber abaci

hey due where did that stuff about the beatles come from?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #44
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.
In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

Anyway, my ideal qt gf's fav artists would be Sleater-Kinney and A$AP Rocky.

That's nice but I don't see what it has to do with a girl liking the Beatles.

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
Tragic Mulatto
MostInsecureGirlInThePool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
hey due where did that stuff about the beatles come from?

scaruffi

He this massive ****** that writes about music:

http://www.scaruffi.com/
Tragic Mulatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #46
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
That's nice but I don't see what it has to do with a girl liking the Beatles.

You asked me if they were 'pleb' or smth.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #47
Saint78
julian wells

Actually, I wouldn't mind if non-existant perfect girlfriend liked Kanye West and Snowing. That would be cool.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #48
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

Quote:
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.
In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

Anyway, my ideal qt gf's fav artists would be Sleater-Kinney and A$AP Rocky.

I love you.

Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #49
Eastwinn
liber abaci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Mulatto
scaruffi

well what due posted was interesting, so i currently like this scaruffi guy. we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #50
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
scaruffi

Seems pretty smart to me. Thanks for showing me his website!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #51
due 07
haaan

Scaruffi is really smart and accomplished and interesting to read (and it's hilarious that he uses bright colors and comic sans w/ such frequency), but I mostly disagree with his insights on music. Trout Mask Replica blows.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #52
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

Pop punk, indie, emo, ska.

If she likes those general genres, we'll be good.

The only thing I really can't stand is listening to country all of the time.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #53
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

It was all a lie.

But really, I can't help but agree with him because I finally found someone else who dislikes the Beatles' popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #54
Tragic Mulatto

Quote:
Scaruffi is really smart and accomplished and interesting to read (and it's hilarious that he uses bright colors and comic sans w/ such frequency), but I mostly disagree with his insights on music. Trout Mask Replica blows.

Thats funny, I think he's a ****ing idiot asshole, but alot of his tastes are similar to mine.

He thinks the black saint and the sinner lady is the best jazz album of all time just like me

and trout mask is great.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #55
due 07
haaan

Quote:
and trout mask is great.

good one

The biggest asshole critics are Christgau and Ian Cohen.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
You asked me if they were 'pleb' or smth.

I was messin'

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #57
Tragic Mulatto

Quote:
good one

The biggest asshole critics are Christgau and Ian Cohen.

Its an asshole occupation
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #58
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Saint78, no one likes snowing except for you, me, jetfuel, and blake.

SO MANY PICKUPS
SO LITTLE TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #59
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Its an asshole occupation

Anthony Fantano is not an asshole. :3
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #60
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Saint78, no one likes snowing except for you, me, jetfuel, and blake.

I know. Such a good band though.

Rate This Thread: