Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
ikey_

meh. i would still maintain the 88 is better for heavier stuff than my 40. i do boost it as well and though it can push a decent amount of gain, i would classify the amp to cut off in teh hard rock territory.

can it do metal, sure. if i was playing live a lot for heavier stuff, i would probably get another amp.

i really want a baron snot watt for heavy stuff and run my setup stereo with the tweaker.

the tweaker 40 would be a better metal amp if it had A more preamp gain stages, B independant EQs per channel, and C the onboard boosts would be nice. thats ok i have one on my board.

like i said, i would say my tweaker is just about as good of a versatile rock based amp as you can get for anything less than 1000ish. very happy. think your setting yourself up for disappointment doing numeral, death metal, etc etc on a tweaker.

never played the 88 though
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Gene-Ocide

Laney AOR with bass knob pulled out.
/trollface.jpg/
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Gene-Ocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
MaaZeus

Odd, I never associated Thrash guitar with bass, more like with scooped lower midrange and sharp upper midrange bite. Down tuned death metal on the other hand...

Anyway, my Randall is bassy to a fault. Hell, I have to keep the bass knob on 3-4 to make sure it doesnt interfere with midrange, keep things clear. Now it has only one 12" Speaker and it can do only so much, but if its bigbrother RG100 with its 2x12" speakers is voiced anything like my RG75, or better yet connected to external cab, I guess it should have enough bass to take your walls down.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well the 88s will give you more bass.

that amp head is so darn big chances are you arent playing it through much less than a 2x12 A for wattage B for just size....i mean that thing has to sit on something.

i believe the 88 has more gain with the build in boosts.

i am really mad tweaker didnt give dual onboard boosts with the 40. man. really? cause WTF am i going to do with 88 watts in my bedroom?

Play it, ya candyass!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
Barricade_28

Thanks for the suggestions, I really like the JSX head (the combo is too expensive) and its clone the XXX II.

Are there any other combos that have similar versatility between good cleans & lots of gain and bass? I'd really like an amp I could somewhat easily throw in my trunk and bring to jams instead of a stack.
Barricade_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.

FWIW, while the JSX is a great amp and I just wanted to reinforce that, it is not a notably bassy amp. The biggest issue I have with my tone right now is lack of good bass. It gets kind of flubby.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
FWIW, while the JSX is a great amp and I just wanted to reinforce that, it is not a notably bassy amp. The biggest issue I have with my tone right now is lack of good bass. It gets kind of flubby.

Agreed. I sold my XXX for this reason although I hear the JSX is better. In terms of bang for buck versatile amps I always come back to the Carvin V3. Should have much bigger and focused bass than the JSX, it gets described as rectoish commonly.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
dre93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Odd, I never associated Thrash guitar with bass, more like with scooped lower midrange and sharp upper midrange bite. Down tuned death metal on the other hand...

Anyway, my Randall is bassy to a fault. Hell, I have to keep the bass knob on 3-4 to make sure it doesnt interfere with midrange, keep things clear. Now it has only one 12" Speaker and it can do only so much, but if its bigbrother RG100 with its 2x12" speakers is voiced anything like my RG75, or better yet connected to external cab, I guess it should have enough bass to take your walls down.

I can only second that. My band mates RG75 combo sounds damn awesome and has a low end you would not consider possible from a hybrid combo with 1x12 cab. In my ears, the Randall's distortion definitely does not have to hide behind too much all-tube amps. It's the best distortion I've ever heard from a solid-state. My advice: Absolutely try the Randall RG75/100, it's awesome and affordable.
dre93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Barricade_28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus

Well, I'm looking for that "punch" on my palm-mute low-e chugs, do you know what I mean? High gain and scooped mids get some of the tone right, and might sound good on a recording, but when playing live or just practicing by myself or with a drummer I need that bassy punch that gives that thundering feel of power lol.

Some have said I just need a bassist lol, that the bass player is supposed to give that bassy punch to Metallica-like tunes, which might be true, but I want an amp to recreate that sound when practicing by myself or with a drummer.
Barricade_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
seljer
UG Resident

You just need a sealed cabinet
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade_28
Well, I'm looking for that "punch" on my palm-mute low-e chugs, do you know what I mean? High gain and scooped mids get some of the tone right, and might sound good on a recording, but when playing live or just practicing by myself or with a drummer I need that bassy punch that gives that thundering feel of power lol.

Some have said I just need a bassist lol, that the bass player is supposed to give that bassy punch to Metallica-like tunes, which might be true, but I want an amp to recreate that sound when practicing by myself or with a drummer.

that bassy punch is most likely less bass than you would think, most of the 'attack' is actually in a much higher frequency range.

Quote:
Covering about one octave [2kHz to 4kHz], this range of frequencies is responsible for the attack on percussive and rhythm instruments and the "projection" of mid range instruments. Equalization can be applied at any frequency in this range but still somewhat centers around 3 kHz.
On the foot drum, boosting 2.5 kHz or 4 kHz increases the attack. 2.5 kHz sounds more like a felt beater and 4 kHz sounds more like a hard-wood beater. These frequencies can also be used to increase the attack or "hit" sound on toms and snare drums.
Guitar lines often get more attack and distinction with equalization added at this range. A small boost (1-3 dB) for the vocal will increase projection. Adding too much energy, in this range, makes it hard to distinguish the syllables of the vocal and can cause listening fatigue. This range of frequencies is often reduced on background vocal to give them a more "airy" and "transparent" sound.

too much low end just tends to muddy up your tone.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
woad_yurt

More bass wanted? May I suggest considering a speaker change before an amp swap?

A good 1x15 cabinet and a JBL G-135 will for sure rattle your windows. With a 50-6000 hz frequency range, 104 db sensitivity, and 200 watt capability, it'll do whatever you want and rattle the windows next door, too. I have one and it's a freaking monster for palm chugging. It's unreal. The mids and highs are beautiful, by the way, but that bass response is just simply stunning.

I have an Alesis drum machine and an old 150 watt 6 channel Traynor mixer/amp. I play them through mine at home when I'm practicing. If you want bass, I swear that you could easily thump out a whole dance club with that one speaker.

No matter what amp you use, I feel pretty confident in saying that they'll pump out more strong, clear bass than whatever other speakers you're currently using by a large margin. I've had people over who've plugged their amps into that G-135 and every single one of them has been blown away by the additonal bass. It didn't matter what gear they had, good or bad, costly or dirt cheap, the bass came out way more than with their own speakers. Even the high school kid next door wants to know how too put one into his vehicle so he can bounce down the road.

Jammin' Jersey's has some good ones for $150.00 per.

PS JBL even has even published the ideal dimensions of the cab to wring the most out of the lower registers (6 cubic feet interior volume with a 5" diameter, 2" long port.)

Last edited by woad_yurt : 11-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #33
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

If you want huge bass check out the Krank Krankenstein "+". Huge bass and high gain. You fell the palm muting in your stomach.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #34
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
More bass wanted? May I suggest considering a speaker change before an amp swap?

A good 1x15 cabinet and a JBL G-135 will for sure rattle your windows. With a 50-6000 hz frequency range, 104 db sensitivity, and 200 watt capability, it'll do whatever you want and rattle the windows next door, too. I have one and it's a freaking monster for palm chugging. It's unreal. The mids and highs are beautiful, by the way, but that bass response is just simply stunning.

I have an Alesis drum machine and an old 150 watt 6 channel Traynor mixer/amp. I play them through mine at home when I'm practicing. If you want bass, I swear that you could easily thump out a whole dance club with that one speaker.

No matter what amp you use, I feel pretty confident in saying that they'll pump out more strong, clear bass than whatever other speakers you're currently using by a large margin. I've had people over who've plugged their amps into that G-135 and every single one of them has been blown away by the additonal bass. It didn't matter what gear they had, good or bad, costly or dirt cheap, the bass came out way more than with their own speakers. Even the high school kid next door wants to know how too put one into his vehicle so he can bounce down the road.

Jammin' Jersey's has some good ones for $150.00 per.

PS JBL even has even published the ideal dimensions of the cab to wring the most out of the lower registers (6 cubic feet interior volume with a 5" diameter, 2" long port.)

From what I hear, 15" speakers tend to lose clarity and definition as compared to a 12". It would make sense if they have all of that extra bass, considering, like Gumbi said, bass has a tendency to muddy up your tone.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
woad_yurt

It depends on what speakers are being compared. The 15" JBL I have is crisper and clearer than th Eminence 12" that was original to my Champ 25 SE and the two 1982-made Eminence 12s I've had for a while.

It's not a bass speaker but full range. Actually, the frequency response for that 15 goes 1000 hz higher than most 12" guitar speakers, which seem to top out at 5000 or so. There's no mud with this one unless it's the amp that's providing it.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'm no expert here, but I'm going to say that Frequency Response Rage =/= Clarity

In fact, if it's able to produce response of frequencies that your amp can't even produce, then that's useless. If it can produce frequencies that are beyond what human ears can percieve, it's more likely to add muddiness, from what I understand, and if it's able to produce frequencies that aren't normally included with guitar speakers, it might create unecessary noise.

Just some thoughts. I'm not trying to discredit your suggestion, it's certainly a good one, just adding more thoughts to go with it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #37
woad_yurt

JBL ceramics are famous for their clarity. Some people even avoid them because of that; they want "dark" speakers that break up. For low stuff, though, speaker breakup sounds like mud.

Low E on a 4 string bass is approx. 42 hz; this speaker starts at 50 hz. An EVM 12L goes up to 7000 hz and some Altecs (417Hs?) went to 8000 whereas this one tops out at 6000. It doesn't do anything other speakers don't and it does not add mud, no way, no how. It clears it up because it can handle the low stuff.

There's a reason they cost like $300+ back in the mid-eighties, when they were new. They were at the very top of the line.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 11-20-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
JAHellraiser

uhh, I'm pretty sure all amps can have tons of bass. just eq it that way.

just a heads up though, if you ever play with a bassist and try to over do your bass they might hate you that's their range.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I agree. Bruce actually gets kinda annoyed when people claim his amps can't do Metal (not counting the Vengeance and Armageddon, of course) because usually if they cant' on their own, adding a boost is all you need. I mean, the JCM800 was THE Metal amp of the 80's and even some of the 90's, and every Metal player boosted that amp.

I agree that the Tweaker 88 is a great choice.

I would like to add the Egnater Vengeance to the list of great choices. I have my bass at about 1:00 and my Density is at 10:00 (the presence and Density controls give +/- 12db, so I'm actually CUTTING the Density) and I have PLENTY of bass in my tone. Granted, I'm mixed for a band, so I have to be careful with adding too much bass to my sound, but this thing has PLENTY of bass. You could shake your neighbors' windows with this thing.

More importantly, I recommend you get a cab with speakers built for bass. Anything would sound like a bass machine with a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Swamp Thangs (not something I recommend). I would say if you can get a cab loaded with Celestion G12K-100's, maybe those mixed with something else. Avatar cabs are a good way to go with this sort of thing. A 2x12 loaded with a Celestion G12K-100 and Celestion Vintage 30 would be a good option for you. Plenty of bass and clarity. It's a great combo for metal. V30's are the standard, go-to Metal speaker and K-100's are used by Slayer's Kerry King, not to mention many others. You don't want to get something TOO bassy, because if you join a band or jam with a bassist, you have to dial out a good amount of bass to make room for him in the mix.

EDIT: I should also add that the Vengeance will do everything from Pristine Cleans to the heaviest of modern metal, no boost needed (although you may want one depending on personal taste...some people like the way a tube amp reacts to a boost. A lot of people boost 6505's to tighten them up)

I agree! Egnaters are pretty damn good. I have the Renegade and can get somewhere in the older metal territory with just a guitar that has humbuckers. I find them to sit perfectly in between the older vintage amps and the modern BR00TZ amps.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #40
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
JBL ceramics are famous for their clarity. Some people even avoid them because of that; they want "dark" speakers that break up. For low stuff, though, speaker breakup sounds like mud.

Low E on a 4 string bass is approx. 42 hz; this speaker starts at 50 hz. An EVM 12L goes up to 7000 hz and some Altecs (417Hs?) went to 8000 whereas this one tops out at 6000. It doesn't do anything other speakers don't and it does not add mud, no way, no how. It clears it up because it can handle the low stuff.

There's a reason they cost like $300+ back in the mid-eighties, when they were new. They were at the very top of the line.

That's pretty impressive, then. Do they make bass speakers? I'm pretty sure our bassist could use a speaker swap for something like you're describing, and his combo is a 1x15

Rate This Thread: