Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Bands you cant stand due to their fan base

I am rather bored so I decided to look up some of the music of Black Veil Brides. I had never heard any of their material before now but have witnessed members of their fanbase and they are just as irritating as fans of One Direction/JLS etc.

I ventured onto YouTube and listened to one of their songs and was actually pleasently surprised of how un-terrible this song was. For reference, it was this song.

Their image is god-awful but its a fairly decent song with a pretty neat intro and has decent overall production values. I am friends with a lot of elitist metalheads who listen to a lot of Dream Theather and Opeth who would just slaughter me if I even mention I liked that song so that brought me to think that if this band had quite a moderate fanbase and just wore generic clothes, would they be hated as much and are there any bands that you liked the sound of but just hated their fans and because of that, ruined the experience for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
due 07
haaan

due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Pantera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
pawnluv
Spread The Luv

I actually liked that song, im not really into metal with all that growling and screaming so it was cool hearing that style of singing. But yeah if i judged them by the way they looked i would have never given them a chance.
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
RedWitch Fuzz God ll
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
pawnluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnluv
I actually liked that song, im not really into metal with all that growling and screaming so it was cool hearing that style of singing. But yeah if i judged them by the way they looked i would have never given them a chance.

I used to like those kind of vocals but I've gone way off them now. I'm all for clean singing now but yeah I agree.

Quote:
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist

I used to be like that. Back in high school I completely dismissed MCR because of emos. This past year I actually heard their music and thought it was pretty good, goes to show you that in the end the music is the only thing that matters. Who would have thunk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
purplexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Any metal band is that way for me, because (prepare for racism) Navajo people love metal, and they also love not bathing, wearing deodorant, or exercising. So if you go to a metal concert in New Mexico, you get squished between a bunch of fat, smelly blobs, that also happen to be aggressive, and generally unintelligible when they speak. (There are ridiculously high proportions of alcoholic Navajos, but even when they're sober they slur their speech, because thats apparently their accent.) If thats your idea of fun then have at, but I'd rather avoid that hole scene.

And even though I'm obviously stereotyping, don't go off on me about being racist, because I have a lot of Navajo or part Navajo friends, and know quite a few reasonable Navajos. I just happen to have experience with way more completely unreasonable ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
MoJo-EaTeR
Sleaze Metal Idiot

I've heard a few 'A Day to Remember' songs that I didn't think were to bad. However fans of that band, at least all the ones that I know, are so irritating that I could never give the band a chance.
MoJo-EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Any metal band is that way for me, because (prepare for racism) Navajo people love metal, and they also love not bathing, wearing deodorant, or exercising. So if you go to a metal concert in New Mexico, you get squished between a bunch of fat, smelly blobs, that also happen to be aggressive, and generally unintelligible when they speak. (There are ridiculously high proportions of alcoholic Navajos, but even when they're sober they slur their speech, because thats apparently their accent.) If thats your idea of fun then have at, but I'd rather avoid that hole scene.

And even though I'm obviously stereotyping, don't go off on me about being racist, because I have a lot of Navajo or part Navajo friends, and know quite a few reasonable Navajos. I just happen to have experience with way more completely unreasonable ones.

Thats fair enough. Here in the UK, it isnt quite as bad as that

Unless you go to Scotland. Then they're pretty unintelligible.

If whoomit sees this,

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything

Metal fans are pretty annoying, but they don't prevent me from loving Metal.
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
guitarist41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Teenage TOOL fans. You not find anything more annoying.

I like TOOL but the teens take there "understanding" of life too far.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Grant1992

Any band or genre is going to have annoying fans. It all boils down to whether you like the music thats being made. I listen to all kinds of music varying from country to mainstream rock to metal and every genre has those stereotype fans that just annoy the hell out of you. For instance country is gonna have those fat rednecks that you cant understand through the southern drawl, metal will have the "die hard" fans who will call you a pussy for listening to anything but metal, and rock will have the same kind of thing. Honestly for me its no big deal I just enjoy the music I like and not give two sh!ts about what someone else is acting like.
Grant1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.-Bungle
Teenage TOOL fans. You not find anything more annoying.

I like TOOL but the teens take there "understanding" of life too far.

I believe you mean "their"? That's how Maynard would say it

In all seriousness though people who hate djent annoy me more than people who actually like djent. They get all elitist about how shit it is when they've never listened to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Darth_Pietrus
I like bewbs

I completely agree with you on the BVB thing. Although I still wouldnt listen to them in my spare time or go to any of their shows. Other bands though:

Children of Bodom - I never gave them a chance before because some kids in my school who listen to bvb, bmth and such also wore shirts of cob. But they are actually a great band!

The Black Dahlia Murder - Another great example. I dont live in the US but from what I gather they are THE thing in the Hot Topic. So aka what all the whiny emo teens listen to. Also their live shows always have those "hardcore" dancers. But really they are one of the most technically superior bands I know. Was a huge surprise for me.

In Flames - A band that gets a little too much attention imo. And again the whole emo teen kids who listen to this that made me think they sucked. Good band though.

Disturbed - Same story. And no, they do have some good stuff. Although a lot of it is pretty repetetive.

Metalcore - This subgenre gets soo much crap and alot of it deserved. But some bands are surprisingly good imo. As I Lay Dying (clean vocals suck though imo), August Burns Red etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
odinmisawa

How has Avenged Sevenfold not been mentioned? A couple of my friends swear that they are the best band that has ever existed and that Synyster Gates is a god. Not saying that they're bad, but they're definitely not the best. They're talented musicians, but there is definitely better.
odinmisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
wedy1414

Dead and Divine
5 Finger Death Punch
Rise Against
Blink 182
wedy1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
The Pavelows

wow this is completely me
i never gave bvb a chance until i listened to a song by them that was part of a free festival package (each band playing the gig had one song on this free 40 song download) and it was This song that changed my mind
The Pavelows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
wedy1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinmisawa
How has Avenged Sevenfold not been mentioned? A couple of my friends swear that they are the best band that has ever existed and that Synyster Gates is a god. Not saying that they're bad, but they're definitely not the best. They're talented musicians, but there is definitely better.

Ya, people praise Synester and Im not sure why.If you disagree they become hostile.
wedy1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Pietrus
Metalcore - This subgenre gets soo much crap and alot of it deserved. But some bands are surprisingly good imo. As I Lay Dying (clean vocals suck though imo), August Burns Red etc.

I agree with that (and the rest but I'm pointing this out).

There seems to be so many posers in this genre and its just oversaturated with so many bands that have no discernible differences.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
odinmisawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedy1414
Dead and Divine
5 Finger Death Punch
Rise Against
Blink 182

What is so wrong about Blink-182 fans? If you don't mind me asking.
odinmisawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: