User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #61
Ostinattos
UG's diff. geometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Why did he have to be shot? Surely, a police officer who has been trained would be able to take a nude guy out.

This. It seems to me that the officer took the worst decision possible...

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos
Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Ostinattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #62
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Most I've encountered are arrogant douchebags who walk around itching to abuse their "power"

And because your experiences have been bad with cops, all cops are bad? Or you hate cops or something? Right?

Edit:
Oh, and the irony of all the condemners is this: almost all of us would have done exactly the same as the cop did. Even though I feel he was wrong to kill the student, most of us would have shot him in the torso as well (because that's what we'd have been trained to do, as a cop).

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 10-10-2012 at 12:21 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #63
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
And because your experiences have been bad with cops, all cops are bad? Or you hate cops or something? Right?

when I've yet to have a single positive experience with any cop, yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_(statistics)

Quote:
Edit:
Oh, and the irony of all the condemners is this: almost all of us would have done exactly the same as the cop did. Even though I feel he was wrong to kill the student, most of us would have shot him in the torso as well (because that's what we'd have been trained to do, as a cop).

learn to irony.

I wouldn't have shot at him, I wouldn't have been carrying a gun in the first place and I sure as hell wouldn't be a cop

EDIT: also, I'm happy for the argument to shift from "this cop did the wrong thing" to "cops are trained to do the wrong thing"

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Last edited by Diamond Dave : 10-10-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #64
MeGaDeth2314
Pudding time, children

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan143
I love how all the people posting on here are 12 year old morons. I would assume that if the officer was being chased by this guy, he probably tries to warn the guy to stop. Police officers are trained that if you must shoot a suspect who is threatening you, you shoot to kill, not to injure. I would bet that the naked guy probably wasn't quietly creaping up on the officer, but screaming and threatening the officer. With these things in mind, I think what he did was fine. I wuold not want some crazy, naked, screaming guy to get anywhere near me.

So you would just kill him?

This is a life we're talking about here, which is a huge deal. I don't think you realize that.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #65
Gmp

Those saying this wouldn't happen in other countries, a very similar event has happened recently in australia.

http://www.news.com.au/national/rob...2-1226490950032
Gmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #66
jetwash69

Here are some things to consider:

In hindsight, perhaps the officer should have waited for backup to arrive before opening the door in the first place. Too bad you don't have hindsight ahead of time. I haven't seen the video, so maybe that wasn't an option anyway.

The article said the cop didn't have a taser or a night stick. Often University Police leave the nightsticks in their patrol cars--if they're even qualified on them. Night-sticks don't match the PC image most University administrators want for their Campus.

Pepper spray is a bad idea if it's windy or if there's even a breeze in your direction. It's also not a great defensive weapon if you're on the run.

Warning shots and "non-lethal" shot placement belong in fiction, not real life. Cops are trained not to even draw their weapons on someone unless they believe they'd be justified to kill someone with it. "Warning shots" are far more likely to hurt or kill an innocent bystander than to deter an aggressor. Aiming shots in "non-critical" places like limbs are prohibited, too. You're way too likely to miss, and even if you do hit, the bullet is likely to go all the way through--either way it's too dangerous for bystanders. That's why police, military, and concealed carry permit holders are all trained to aim for center of mass--and never to even point a weapon at anything they don't intend to shoot (and if living, would be justified to kill).

The point isn't to kill the agressor--it's to stop the agressor. It's common for that to take multiple torso or head wounds and more time than you'd expect to stop someone. And center of mass/head shots aren't always more lethal than wounds in limbs. A ruptured artery in a limb can cause death faster than a chest shot that misses the heart or a head shot that doesn't take out the brain stem. It's common for people to run 50 feet or more after multiple direct hits to the heart, even if they do die a few minutes later. And for people to not even realize they were hit for a while if it wasn't critical--even if they only drug is naturally occurring adrenaline.

Some of this info could be dated about this; most of it comes from education around 20 years ago. I doubt much has changed in that time in these matters, though.

Anyway, according to the article, it was all caught on video. So the authorities will be able to figure out whether it was justified or not.

I think the only real winner in this case is the attorney who's representing the Collar family. Even if he takes the case pro-bono, it's still good advertising for his practice.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #67
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, the thing about that is that the 'condemners' are not trained to deal with violent people with non-lethal force where necessary. Even if they were, they are not acting in any official capacity.

By being a cop you are held to higher standards than the average folk. Either accept it as part of the job, or don't become a ****ing police officer. Simple as that.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #68
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Often University Police leave the nightsticks in their patrol cars--if they're even qualified on them. Night-sticks don't match the PC image most University administrators want for their Campus.

but guns are OK?

I guess if they carry batons they'd be beating everybody around the head all the time, but carrying a gun is purely a precaution...

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #69
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
LSD doesn't make people go all whacky.

Uh, yeah it does, bro. Personal experience

EDIT: Also, from someone who's fired many weapons in many different situations, let me tell you that a shot to the limb would be near impossible. It's incredibly, incredibly hard to accurately shoot a pistol while running, especially running away.

Also, a warning shot? Do you think someone who's in another dimension and who thinks chasing armed cops and biting people cares about a warning shot?

I'm pretty convinced that most Pit monkeys would get pretty banged up, if not killed in most emergency situations they ponder upon. If I have a gun and I feel that my life is threatened, I'm shooting in self defense without remorse.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 10-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #70
jp_cheif

I live right across from the campus. It's got the whole city in a fury. I agree that a simple warning shot would of done tha trick but maybe the cop really felt he was threatened. Anyways what's done is done. Now all I've heard since is 'LSD?? OMGOMG'. Wonder what was going through his head when the cop pulled the gun out.
jp_cheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #71
Diamond Dave

Nah this warning shot stuff is nonsense, the gun never should have been unholstered, and perhaps never been given to the guy in the first place.

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #72
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

'm-u-r-i-c-a

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #73
TDS
LET'S GO PENS

Right, this is all the fault of the guy being assaulted, not the teenager irresponsibly mixing hallucinogens and downers running around a populated area biting people

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #74
naedauuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
LSD doesn't make people go all whacky. That's what really confuses me.

But to the main point: Even if I were under the influence, I think the sound of a close-range gunshot alone would halt me. I know I'm not the only one thinking it, but it was just unnecessary to shoot the kid.

Probably linked to improper training. Every officer should know that.

I've done a lot of LSD in my day and I can say if someone had a gun and shot it in the air, no matter how ****ed up I was (and I've been rightly ****ed up on acid mroe than once), I would've stopped and put my damn hands in the air.

Cops aren't stupid and most are good people, but **** this pig.

Naedauuf for president people.

naedauuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #75
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS
Right, this is all the fault of the guy being assaulted, not the teenager irresponsibly mixing hallucinogens and downers running around a populated area biting people

That's a good point, on second thought he does deserve to be killed for that!

Its not the ****ing middle ages, shit like this should never happen.

Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #76
dubstar92
Freetarded

Damn, both the cop and that kid are idiots.

dubstar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #77
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

IF you are going to shoot already, then why not use a stun gun ? Or rubber bullets for that matter ?

Yeah, just use stunguns.

Use them for everything instead of a gun - for a cop that is.

Last edited by My Last Words : 10-10-2012 at 02:34 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #78
jrcsgtpeppers

Looks like we ca.t judge abything till we see the video.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #79
Owenlee55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFripp74
LSD is a hallucinogenic and so you have no idea what was going through the guy's head... He could of been tripping like crazy.

But to the point, a naked a guy chasing after me would only make pull out my pistol and kneecap the lad, no need for deadly force.

The phrase only in MURICAAAA lives on.

LSD is a psychedelic, yes, but is no where near as extreme as is claimed. The various horror stories of men 'Helping a friend fix his eye with a lit cigarette' or 'Man jumping from 7 story building, thinking he's a plane' are bullshit sensationalism. Even at a relatively high dose, you are in control. Psychedelic drugs are no excuse for being an idiot, and vice versa, are not an excuse for a police officer (Who should be trained to deal with intoxicated people) to wig-out and fatally kill someone.

Police need to undergo mental, as well as the obvious physical, examinations before any real field work. Anyone can be fit enough to be a copper, but if you are on-edge and super noid you've no place with a gun on your belt.
Owenlee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #80
Owenlee55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
when I've yet to have a single positive experience with any cop, yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_(statistics)

learn to irony.

I wouldn't have shot at him, I wouldn't have been carrying a gun in the first place and I sure as hell wouldn't be a cop

EDIT: also, I'm happy for the argument to shift from "this cop did the wrong thing" to "cops are trained to do the wrong thing"

NYPD stop-and-frisk, anyone?
Owenlee55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: