Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Desko

Need help improving

Hey everyone!

I've been playing guitar for 2 years, but I haven't made as much progress as I think I should. I haven't spent much time practicing on chords etc, I just started playing songs I wanted to learn by using Guitar Pro (Stairway to heaven etc). I'm good at remembering songs, but I need some help with my technique. I'm playing on nylon strings, and quite often a finger or two come in the way of other strings, which prevents me from getting a nice clean sound. I've found guitars with steel strings easier to play, but I love the sound of nylon strings so I'm just gonna stick with it and practice more.

What's the best way to start practicing, how do I improve my technique? Should I go to guitar class, read a book, or can I find everything I need online? I can play quite a few songs, but I guess I need more basic training to improve my skills (although I can play my songs really fast it doesn't always sound the way it's supposed to).

All help is appreciated!
Desko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
macashmack
Maskcashmack

All practicing, if it's good, correct practice, will lead to natural good technique.
Keep learning songs that you like and practice them slowly and correctly, and soon you'll go "Woah man i can do that!"
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
seabiscuit

My guitar teacher always emphasizes practicing chords to make progress and also like macashmack said, correct technique. Every bit of practicing is great! If you feel like you need a break, take one.

Courage is grace under pressure.

Don't give up!

Illustrious acts high RAPTURES do infuse, and every conqueror creates a muse.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
QPC_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desko
Should I go to guitar class, read a book, or can I find everything I need online?

Yes.
Find a class or community group or just some friends to play with. It's motivating, you can get advice/tuition and a project to work on.

Plenty of good books/magazines. And everything but real-life interaction is on the internet. You can even play with strangers on skype.

The thing which has made the biggest difference to me is playing with other people. But maybe that's because I spent so long not doing it. It will leave a big gap in your playing if you don't.

Rate This Thread: