Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
ChaseCarrell
ChaseCarrell

Checking your guitar on a plane??

Alright so I'm going to mexico here pretty soon, and I was thinking about taking it with me. Obviously I can't carry it on or I would haha. I'm sure a lot of us have seen how they chuck bags, and its quite shocking honetly. I'm afraid they're going to break it! I have a gator hard case I believe its the gator GW-Classic... And inside is a Seagull s6 orginal. Sny input would be nice... Thanks!
-Chase
ChaseCarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
ghostmastery
master of reality

I'm curious, why can't you carry it on? I don't have any experience with checking my guitar, but I have brought my electric guitar on board with me on about a dozen flights.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

The chucking of items is no worse in the airline industry than in the shipping industry. Treat it as if you were shipping it to someone. It should be fine if well packed in a hardshell case.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
KonaNuNu

Do you know this story:

United Breaks Guitars. He's a local Cape Breton fella who is making quite a name for himself because of this mishap. True story. And over 12 million hits.

Last edited by KonaNuNu : 10-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.
KonaNuNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
MetalCommand
Disappear to Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaNuNu

United Breaks Guitars. He's a local Cape Breton fella who is making quite a name for himself because of this mishap. True story. And over 12 million hits.

It's been a few years since I saw that, it's very good, thanks for refreshing my memory!
MetalCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

regular hardshell cases aren't gonna cut it if you're not gonna pack the hell out of it. the shipping analogy is accurate. you should be able to carry it on, but check with the airline anyway.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Spaztikko

When my fencing club goes to australia, they pack all their gear in bags 2 or 3x the height of a hardshell case each and carry it on, so a hardshell case shouldn't be a problem. Just loosen the strings so it doesn't warp, place it in the overhead locker, and be REALLY OBNOXIOUS at the end of the flight.

That's what I'd do.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I may have been lucky, but I've gotten away with an electric in a hybrid case packed underneath the plane for four consecutive flights, one of which was a flight from LA to Sydney.

Even luckier was an acoustic in a soft case, again underneath the plane. I totally wrapped/braced it with socks and jumpers and stuff. It was a cheapie guitar and was completely expecting it to break. However it came out the other side fine and still have it now. Again, this flight route included an LA-Sydney.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
I may have been lucky, but I've gotten away with an electric in a hybrid case packed underneath the plane for four consecutive flights, one of which was a flight from LA to Sydney.

Even luckier was an acoustic in a soft case, again underneath the plane. I totally wrapped/braced it with socks and jumpers and stuff. It was a cheapie guitar and was completely expecting it to break. However it came out the other side fine and still have it now. Again, this flight route included an LA-Sydney.

oh yeah, it's completely possible, and very fortunate, but it goes without saying that you can't expect baggage handlers to give a shit about your possibly expensive instruments every time. i wouldn't risk it if you can help it.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB

I also have travelled a couple time siwth my acoustic in a soft case packed out with clothes. they always label it fragile and have been very good. Mind you it was only a domestic one hour flight.

Flying international I took my old classical guitar that had stickers all over it and looked fairly worn. they let me carry it on no case or anything just strung over my back and I put it int he overhead. But on the return trip they were more anal and would not let me carry it on - apparently it was a security risk (my playing wasn't that bad)

I had to check it (I had no case) they slapped a fragile sticker on it and it came out the other side without any scratches it didn't have going in (i knew all the scratches). It would not have sold for much but was very valuable to me it had great tone and a lot of sentimental value.

It's gone now though. Stolen at a party.

But yeah if your guitar is valuable and/or your only guitar - be safe.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Haha live and learn I guess. I don't even put my guitar in the car without a case.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.

Can the Aussies in this thread tell me which airline to use if I wanted to put a guitar in a soft gig bag in the overheads?

I flew with Jetstar a few months ago, and their overhead restrictions are ridiculously small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
METAL_MAN135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yeah, check with the airline. I took mine on a flight from Toronto to Vancouver and they let me put my guitar in the closet along with the crew's jackets and stuff.

And KonaNuNu beat me to the United Breaks Guitars video. One of the best songs ever. LOL.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

Last edited by axemanchris : 10-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: