Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Elo01

How to properly use the functional ear trainer?

I just can't get below 6 mistakes in the random key / large tone range / 50 questions - part, don't know for how many weeks I've been using it. FFS, it's not even about chromatic notes yet and I fail at it

Usually I listen to the question, if it's not clear for me what note it is i repeat the question one or two times. If I make a mistake I listen to the correct answer 2 or 3 times. I usually screw up when very high notes are used
I'm doing 100 questions per day

Am I just missing something? Is it even possible to get everything perfect? What am I doing wrong?

Halp
Elo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Which one are you using? I started using the one on miles.be and I suck at it... Yesterday I did 200 of those and then 250 of the interval ear training from musictheory.net and on both I only got 30-40% right. I'd like to know how to improve cause I'm thinking maybe this is to be considered more of a test (as in I can keep taking it, but if I don't study the right way, my score will not improve).
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Elo01

Is there another ear trainer on miles.be?
I'm using http://miles.be/software/34-functional-ear-trainer-v2

Oh and keep in mind that your brain is processing stuff over night, so you won't notice much of an improvement in a single day. I definitely improved over a few days / weeks, except that now I'm stuck

Just make sure to "play the correct answer" and focus on what it does when you make a mistake so your brain adapts
Elo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo01
Just make sure to "play the correct answer" and focus on what it does when you make a mistake so your brain adapts

Oh, that's a good idea. I wasn't focusing much on that, so I guess I wasn't learning as much as I could've been from my mistakes.

I'm using the miles.be old one because I had difficulty installing the other one and thought they were probably similar enough. I'll try to figure out why it didn't want to install (it gave me an error). I asked because you said something about 50 questions and I didn't see an option like that on the one I use (maybe it's a feature only included on the v2).
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
HotspurJr

Keep at it.

My experience with it is that it's really hard for a while and then all of a sudden it just snaps together. On the complete major scale, random key, larger tone ranger exercise I was stuck for a long time ... and then one day I could just nail it perfectly every time.

I think that it's normal to struggle with the very high (and low) notes.

You're not "doing anything wrong" - it's just going to take time. I hit the wall you're talking about and got past it. I hit a similar wall with the same execises with the chromatic notes added (where the #5/6/#6 differences gave me fits).

I found it helpful to, every so often, go back and do the previous exercise. You'll probably notice that it's a lot easier than it was the last time you did it.

Plateaus are normal in this sort of thing. Stick with it.

CryogenicHusk - don't let the fact that you suck at it stop you. It tends to feel really hard at first. My experience (and YMMV may vary) was that I was really good at intervals but it didn't make much difference in my playing, but the functional ear trainer does.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
mrkeka
Lost in Translation

Are you singing the notes? like using your voice to find the steps up or down to the resolution? That helps a lot in internalizing the sounds
mrkeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
DatAss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeka
Are you singing the notes? like using your voice to find the steps up or down to the resolution? That helps a lot in internalizing the sounds

This. Also try singing the notes of triads (1,3,5, later on 7) and harmonic intervals.
DatAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
HotspurJr

One other thing:

When I've gotten stuck, I've realized it's because I progressed too fast. For example, when I was stuck in the chromatic/random key/winder tone range section, I realized that all of my errors were coming on those #5/6/#6 numbers. So i went back two exercises to just the second half of the full chromatic scale in one key.

And wow, look at that - turned out that I was missing those same notes sometimes even in the simpler questions.

While advancing is fun, make sure you're building a solid foundation. You should be able to get the prior exercises 100% right 100% of the time. If not, maybe go back and spend some time there. The goal isn't to finally just get past the threshold where it says you can advance. The goal is to get it right every time.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: