Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
jimmyguns87

Combo amp and cab problem

So I have this stereo solidstate 2x10 Randall amp I would like to run it through a 2x12 cab AS WELL as the 2x10s in the combo itself. Is there anyway this will work?!?!

The back of my amp has jacks that look like this.

footswitch
effects loop send
effects loop return
speaker out 1 (to 10" speaker)
Speaker out 2 (to 10'' speaker)
stereo signal out 1
stereo signal out 2
headphones

Can I use those 2 stereo signal outs to run a speaker in each one like the speaker outs do?
Attached Images

jimmyguns87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Grimpond
Frozen my Heart

no...not from those signal outputs....Im pretty sure doing that would cause a very unsafe ohm mismatch that would damage your power amp section...and why would you need the 2x10 anyway??...4x12 should be enough for almost any application
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpond
no...not from those signal outputs....Im pretty sure doing that would cause a very unsafe ohm mismatch that would damage your power amp section...and why would you need the 2x10 anyway??...4x12 should be enough for almost any application

that last bit. wat?

if the ohms don't match you can't do it. you can probably run the Randall amp itself through the 2x12, and forget the 10s
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyguns87
So I have this stereo solidstate 2x10 Randall amp I would like to run it through a 2x12 cab AS WELL as the 2x10s in the combo itself. Is there anyway this will work?!?!

The back of my amp has jacks that look like this.

footswitch
effects loop send
effects loop return
speaker out 1 (to 10" speaker)
Speaker out 2 (to 10'' speaker)
stereo signal out 1
stereo signal out 2
headphones

i would need the amp model so i could look up the manual to be sure. i can only really speculate what those outputs actually mean without being able to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyguns87
Can I use those 2 stereo signal outs to run a speaker in each one like the speaker outs do?

most likely not. they don't even look like speaker outputs. your two speaker outputs already look engaged powering the native speakers.

if you want more speakers, most likely the way you'd have to do it is send those 'stereo signal outputs' to another stereo power amp and then run those through two more speakers.

Quote:

solid states don't need you to 'match ohms', cuz they don't have an output transformer. solid states only require a minimum impedance, anything above that min impedance is fine.

those aren't speaker outputs anyway so the there should be no 'impedance problems' anyway.

the native speakers are a 2x10, he is trying to add a 2x12 to that

i also don't know what the 4x12 comments is about.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: