Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
jimihendrix6699

time to re-tube, need some help

so i just got my tax return and im going to buy some new tubes for my amp, been needing them for a while now. i have a Traynor YCV40 and it has 3 sovtek 12ax7's in the preamp and 2 groove tube 6L6's in the power section. im more of a high gain player but also like to play some blues/low gain stuff. although, a really good high gain sound is more of a priority. i would also like the brighten the amp up a bit as it is pretty dark unless i crank the shit out of it/use an eq pedal.

any recommendations?
jimihendrix6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

You could do worse than to call Bob at Eurotubes and see what he would recommend. He deals solely in JJ Tubes, so all of his suggestions and kits will use them. That being said, I have never owned or played through a Traynor, so I can't really comment on how his kits sound relative to other brands of tubes when used in that amp. However, I do know that one of the JJ kits made a world of difference on my Peavey C50 when I swapped out the stock Sovteks. I have since played around with the preamp tubes a bit, tried a few NOS tubes, and generally tweaked it to my liking. But the JJ set was a good start, so hopefully it will be for you as well, if you can't get any better solutions.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
badkirk

The tone issues usually mean modifying the caps and resisters. As far as distortion and gain that's tubes. Remember to get your amp professionally re-biased when you change the power tubes.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
brentonlatour
Daydream Beleiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkirk
The tone issues usually mean modifying the caps and resisters. As far as distortion and gain that's tubes. Remember to get your amp professionally re-biased when you change the power tubes.

Definitely re-bias if you change the power tubes! You can do it yourself with a multimeter but it is fairly high voltage and moderately dangerous if you know nothing about electrical safety. Seriously, you could die.

For my amps that I like to have some good distortion, I use new Tungsol 12ax7's in the preamp. If the power amp is getting too overdriven, (harsh abrupt buzzy distortion) I put an 12au7 in the phase inverter.
brentonlatour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
jimihendrix6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkirk

ah i gotcha, well i still have my EQ pedal to help that out. i thought that you only needed to re-bias when you change the type of power tube, like 6L6's to EL84's?

i ended up just getting a set of JJ's and if im not happy from there i will definitely try out those tungsol's. thanks dudes.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Yeah i leave biasing to the pros or have them show how to do it safely and correctly. I've been electrocuted 5 times in my life and i wouldnt want another on my list. So be smart and safe my friend!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrix6699
ah i gotcha, well i still have my EQ pedal to help that out. i thought that you only needed to re-bias when you change the type of power tube, like 6L6's to EL84's?

i ended up just getting a set of JJ's and if im not happy from there i will definitely try out those tungsol's. thanks dudes.

No, you really should check the bias any time you replace the tubes, and adjust it if necessary. Going from one type of tube to another, such as from 6L6 to EL34, will certainly require a rebias, and depending on the tube, may require other circuit mods as well.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
jimihendrix6699

yea ill end up getting it biased pretty soon. had to reorder the tubes but this time i also ordered a celestion Vintage 30 to replace the seventy 80 that is in there now along with the JJ's. should be sounding great after everything gets done.

Rate This Thread: