Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
D.R.22

RSI/Carpal Tunnel

Hi guys I've been playing guitar for about 6 months & I've never had any pain in my wrist before & now I do and it really hurts. I've stopped playing and it's been about a 1 week. I was wondering if you guys had any tips to heal this and to prevent this. By the way I play standing & sitting, when I stand I use a short strap. Therefore my guitar is high, I've checked to several websites & videos about this & they say to keep your wrist straight but I can't seem to be able to keep it in a good posture when playing barre chords. Is there a way that I can position the guitar to help me to so, any tips really would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Go to see your doctor. Seriously - why do you even need to ask this? And for what it's worth, I've never (to my knowledge) suffered from RSI/Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or tendonitis yet I don't believe I ever keep my wrist 'straight' assuming you mean your hand and arm are all in a straight, unbroken line. In fact, I don't even see if that's possible without constantly playing with the neck raised up high towards your face.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
kcroy

Do you also do computer work during the day? I seem to have a bunch of hobbies that are shitty for my wrists ( computer work, martial arts , keyboard gaming and now guitar ) ....

I definitely feel pain in my wrists sometimes. I thought it might be my form, but yeah, that wrist will bend, and that causes discomfort after a while.

If you google around you will find a number of people with similar issues. I dropped the weight of my strings and that has helped some.

Something else that helped is I wasn't holding my left hand properly - not sure how to exaplain it, but the correct ways ( I've been told ) is to support the neck with your thumb, and then only use enough pressure to barely press the strings down. This made a major difference with barre chords, and now I can focus more on my fingertips hurting
kcroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: