Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiconDevil
thats a Fender Japan Boxer Strat ST-756
indeed it had a locking nut & the bridge is referred to as a "Performer" bridge

only if you can be "bothered to"

TS - i trust this noob. he's very wise in the ways of japanzie guitars.

listen lexicon, some of us cba to mess with this stuff. it could kill my super-duper sustain!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
oliade677

Wow, you nailed it Lexicon. Here are some additional images..

The neck is clearly stamped 756, with a 656 stamp on the body. I haven't tried removing the faceplate, but I'll certainly take your word for it on the bridge. Again, thank you to everyone for the input!
oliade677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
LexiconDevil

The difference between 656 & 756 was twin humbuckers or twin singles with humbucker
It was a 130,000yen guitar new anyway
LexiconDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
oliade677

Wow, no kidding? I'm amazed by your breadth of knowledge, Lex! Two sloppy pics and you knew exactly what it was..

As far as the locking nut, any specific recommendations? In searching online, I found an Ebay listing for a similar model that mentions that the original locking nut was faulty by design. Any truth to that?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

That didn't use a locking nut, IIRC. I'm fairly certain they used a Wilkinson Roller Nut.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
oliade677

Well, my buddy helped me clean and string this guy up. The neck looks gorgeous. The pots and switches are noisy, but there isn't any buzzing or hissing when playing. The picks and plastic piece are still in place for the time being. He had some trouble figuring out how to properly string with the floating bridge system, but he's fairly certain he set them up as intended. Here are a few more pics:

Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User

Found the catalog page with it on it. Has a nice zoom feature but can't make out what kind of nut it has.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guita...oxer/en_03.html
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Air_Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #28
oliade677

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for taking the time to locate the guitar! I love seeing a community that's so passionate about something. As far as that catalogue is concerned, what's the primary reason for the ST-756 costing 2x more than those other models? The pickups? Internal wiring? Craftsmanship in the neck/body? Honestly, it's crazy to think about someone saving up 130,000 yen/$1,700 (converted today) some 27 years ago and now it's here in my living room! I'm sure it's seen quite a bit in those 27 years.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
LexiconDevil

they had locking nuts & all those reasons also a lot of those on that page are probably squires
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
Axe Murderer

Looks like some of the fingerboard was chopped off?
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
oliade677

It certainly has the appearance as though part of the fingerboard was chopped off, but I believe that's where the old nut fit onto the neck. I took a pic last night, I'll post it when I get off from work.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
LexiconDevil

wilkinson was making roller nuts in the mid 80s?
that definitely had a locking nut on there that went along with the System III tremolo.
you can tell by the black finish that it's original.they would have done that first then sprayed it then installed the hardware
i think you want something known as a "height adjustable locking nut" but then again I have zero interest in anything after a '57 strat really
setup vid
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
oliade677

Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case. I'm surprised how little data there is on these MIJ guitars, or at least on certain models/setups. Here are those additional photos. As Lex mentioned, you can see the original black finish below the picks. I'm fairly certain the guitar was not cut up:

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
Axe Murderer

Man, thats weird! SOMETHING was there though as you can see the black finish is worn away in a rectangular shape. Pretty much exactly where a nut and missing piece of fretboard would have been.

But, hey, if its in tune, scale accurate and intonnated, then I guess who cares. Definitly looks different!
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
LexiconDevil

the point of it is there's been no aftermarket removing of material from the nut area.

i'm not 100% this is the original nut

i'm saying yes because of the double string trees but then again string trees are easily added later and this was only used for a year.
it's rarer than hens teeth anyway.
if you want to get back to stock like I said a locking nut would be your best bet.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #36
krimsonguitar

krimsonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
oliade677

Definitely similar, but my guitar does not have a back plate slot and the back of the neck does not have a black finish. This one below is almost identical, though it has all original hardware. The tremolo, nut, and humbucker look different, but I think this is what it originally looked like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18087191413...&orig_cvip=true

Note that the locking nut is identical to the one Lex posted just above. My guitar is a Frankenstein version of the ST-756.

Last edited by oliade677 : 10-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
LexiconDevil

not really a frankenstein.
it's entirely possible at the factory they put the different numbered neck on the body then further down the line designated it one or the other.it was only a pickup difference.
the only changes I see are it's just had a gibson style nut installed thats all it should be a 15 min job to screw in a new locking nut back to original.
that lever nut design was only used for about a year and given the serial number basically only dates it to a 2 year spread it's impossible to say what it originally had but the level was pissed off in favour of a more conventional style cause well it pretty much sucked.

the end game is the replacement of a locking nut and piss that gibson thing off there.are those picks serving some sort of mechanical purpose?doubt that can actually be very good for sustain ...
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
oliade677

Lex, turns out you are correct! It's not a Frankenstein. I posted a topic on the Fender forums a few days ago, and they were able to help me fully identify the guitar. Turns out the bridge is a System II tremolo, which was made as a copy of the FreeFlyte bridge used in the Tele Elites. This particular strat is a 27-4100, which features 2 single coil and 1 humbucker pickups, 5 position selector switch, coil splitter, 1 volume 1 tbx, system II tremolo, rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, & side mounted output jack. In reading on various forums, the original locking nut was defective, which is likely why it was replaced on this unit. Here's one such example I found in the archives of another forum:

"I had one of these in a few months ago for a setup. I loved the guitar and so does the owner, but the System II (or System I, i forget) trem would not stay in tune for nothing. The locking "nut" (it's actually behind the nut, making it kinda useless) would actually accidently cut the string more often than not.

I ended up removing the locking "nut" & installed a Graphtec nut & added some Graphtech string trees. Now it stays in tune perfectly and is one of the best Japanese Fenders I have had in."

As far as the picks below the gibson-style nut, they merely seem to be in place to keep the nut slightly lifted. Not sure if the height is required, but that's what I can make out.

Here's a complete 27-4100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13066905018...&orig_cvip=true
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #40
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiconDevil
thats a Fender Japan Boxer Strat ST-756
indeed it had a locking nut & the bridge is referred to as a "Performer" bridge

only if you can be "bothered to"

Wow!