Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
silhouettica
Plays Red Instruments.

Starting with 6 Strings

So, I've been playing guitar for about seven years, but am looking to buy my first bass, and start learning on that. I've been seriously thinking about getting a 6-string bass, because I definitely want the extended range, both low and high. I'm used to wider necks, I currently play 7-string guitars, but I was wondering if you'd consider this a good or a bad idea overall?

Also, if anyone's interested, this is the bass that I'm looking most likely at getting:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD...176-i1394838.gc

I'm also open to any recommendations if anyone has them. I'm looking to play mainly progressive rock and metal, bands like Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, Between the Buried and Me, and others. My only criteria is that I'd prefer neck-through, and I'm not looking to spend over $450. Prefer to buy from Guitar Center, because I have GC pro through my school, and it saves me a bunch of money.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
silhouettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

If you want to start on a six, start on a six. I do feel the whole "you must start with a four string" school of thought is utterly ridiculous and unhelpful. Why start on a four or fiver if you know what you want a six for?

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

if you want to play six start on a six
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

I have a Hohner b-bass VI Q that I got new with a hardshell for 300.
Thats a great bass. Have used it for literally everything. Always did want to get the frets redone but meh.

But that bass you're getting looks nice. Careful about sweating too heavily on that finish. And meh not a fan of that knob config =P
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

I concur with starting on a six if you want to. Most beginner literature will only be written for 4-string though, but that shouldn't hold you back too much.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Sliide90027

My position on this is point out only one thing that might be a problem.

34" scale has not a good for stabilizing the low B
While that has been a general Rule, there are exceptions, and one should consider the possibility that this Bass may not handle the low B as well as a 35"er.

That is worth a look/see/listen. My friend Adam Nitti is doing the 34" scale 6 with no reservations so far, so this might be just me.

One GC reviewer has a Ken Smith and has no issues. (I myslef do not like NT, I use Bolt-ons for punch as Adam helped me identify[since then I became a tone freak& I shim the necks to get sub 1 and sub 2 mm action at the 12th], - and I do not like the Bart Preamps, I adore a Variable Mid Sweep so I can find the 200 Hz).

One really must one day find a bass that is inspiring, I used to believe this especially if you are going for a 6, but that just dates me, because entry level 6's are being made these days.

While the Ibanez BTB Line ceased being my cup of tea, the fast neck diminsions are still there, so just for giggles here is an NT, with Bart preamp and Pups (same pups I use) for $400.http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-BTB7...=item257656bc6f

Enjoy the adventure.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
silhouettica
Plays Red Instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
While the Ibanez BTB Line ceased being my cup of tea, the fast neck diminsions are still there, so just for giggles here is an NT, with Bart preamp and Pups (same pups I use) for $400.http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-BTB7...=item257656bc6f

Enjoy the adventure.

I've played these before, and absolutely love them. The issue is finance- that's at $400, with three days left on bids. They go for a thousand new, and that's way out of my price range.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
silhouettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:

34" scale has not a good for stabilizing the low B
While that has been a general Rule, there are exceptions, and one should consider the possibility that this Bass may not handle the low B as well as a 35"er.

Anyway, if you're gonna solo and stuff, a 6 helps. I had a 6 (made a jump from 4 to 6) and I hated the 6. The high C string got in the way, and I just didn't have a lot of fun playing it.

Now I got a 5 and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Neck size feels better too.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.

OP, you can't really compare a 7 string guitar neck to that of a 6 string bass.
I've been playing five string bass for years, and even I struggled to initially make the move to six string.
I got some mad wrist strain from a certain part in a song I was playing, it was a bad craic all round.

And you should be aware that a sixer isn't anything like a guitar. It's further from it than a regular bass.

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Hail
kill both bass players

try some out first, go hang out at a music store and just play around with them all day, even if you have to use a pick and have no idea what you're doing. i thought a 6 was exactly what i needed before i tried the one i wanted and just didn't feel comfortable. maybe you'll need a 4 (like i did until i got more comfortable), maybe you'll get a hold of a 7-string and fall in love.

it's all up to your needs and wants and comfort levels, and you won't know what those are until you've spent some time on it. if you get something you're not 100% satisfied with, it'll be a good chunk of time and money wasted, and that's definitely not the experience you want to have going into a new instrument.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
John Swift

Make sure you have an amplifier that will reproduce the full range especialy low 'B'.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
Make sure you have an amplifier that will reproduce the full range especialy low 'B'.

The vast majority of bass amps will produce a low B. Some of the worst frequency ranges I have ever came across on bass amps still generally go that far down.

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by silhouettica
I've played these before, and absolutely love them. The issue is finance- that's at $400, with three days left on bids. They go for a thousand new, and that's way out of my price range.

They are under rated, ad therefore undervalued since they do nt have butterflies nor F's on them.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
try some out first, go hang out at a music store and just play around with them all day, even if you have to use a pick and have no idea what you're doing. i thought a 6 was exactly what i needed before i tried the one i wanted and just didn't feel comfortable. maybe you'll need a 4 (like i did until i got more comfortable), maybe you'll get a hold of a 7-string and fall in love.

it's all up to your needs and wants and comfort levels, and you won't know what those are until you've spent some time on it. if you get something you're not 100% satisfied with, it'll be a good chunk of time and money wasted, and that's definitely not the experience you want to have going into a new instrument.

Good advice.

Things are not always as we imagine them to be.

There is no replacement for Inspiration
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Quote:
They are under rated, ad therefore undervalued since they do nt have butterflies nor F's on them.

I like this post a lot.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
If you want to start on a six, start on a six. I do feel the whole "you must start with a four string" school of thought is utterly ridiculous and unhelpful. Why start on a four or fiver if you know what you want a six for?

+1. If anyone starts saying "oh why don't you play a 4-string fender precision bass with your thumb and first 2 fingers?" Tell them to go **** themselves. I have heard bad things about recent LTD guitars and basses, probably better off going with the Ibanez out of the 2. Peavey is also another good option for a budget 6-string bass.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcreep
The vast majority of bass amps will produce a low B. Some of the worst frequency ranges I have ever came across on bass amps still generally go that far down.

Not quite sure just what you're getting at.

The vast majority of Bass amp will reproduce a low 'B' but at what cost? if the amp is low wattage then reproducing low frequencies continuoulsly can and will probably damage it by overheating on the output stage.
Also how many low wattage amps have high power handling speakers, loudspeakers need to match the amplifier, putting a 400 watt cab with a 50 watt amp isn't a good idea if played at gigging levels for long periods, speakers don't appreciate square waves from a clipping/overworked output stage.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
I like this post a lot.

Every one of us, who is inspired to play this instrument, beginner or professional, is in need of a Bass that does one thing alone.

Inspire.

Labels make Dreams, but Dreams do not make grades and in the end do not make music.

Labels make someone else money by selling to clone mentalities in my book.

For the few like Nitti, King, Entwistle, Lee, Jaco, and add your most inspiring fav...they did not copy, they pushed the limits.

I am certain that something preceded the efforts of these men, Inspiration.

I believe, after walking through GC and placing my fingers between strings at the bridge as the gauge as to what I would try that day, and wound up owning 5 of the Instrument that felt right, Labels will never have anything to offer me.

My Preamp Companies do not make my preamps anymore.

My Amp Co. does not make my amp or cabinets anymore.

My bass Co. does not make my basses anymore.

Yep, my Labels left me.

Rate This Thread: