Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #61
chestercheetah

this is now a thread about bananas.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #62
metaldud536
Similar to a pony

I think God talks too much shit about Satan. He wrote this book called the Bible and he talks shit about Satan. Satan didn't write any books. He is the bigger man.

My Deviant Art Page
Manchester United
metaldud536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #63
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Wasn't Satan still on God's council, so to speak, during the fall of man?

Edit: Oh, beaten to it, by Slacker nonetheless! Since when did you know anything about theology?!

Anyway, I don't want to paint myself as a Satanist, as I don't believe in any of that nonsense, but Satan is a far more likable character. He's effectively a slave who wishes to rebel against his master, and for this is punished. I think Christopher Marlowe beat me to this point by about 400 years, but oh well.

Last edited by Todd Hart : 10-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Todd Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #64
TheTee56
UG'S Banana Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestercheetah
this is now a thread about bananas.

THIS MAN.
THIS MAN IS OUR NEW PROPHET.

He has seen the light.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

TheTee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #65
Burgery
scatterbrain

seems like satan is gods servant than his enemy

why would satan punish people for breaking gods rules?
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #67
MusicMan24
UG's Guy Fawkes

Satan is your Master

WORSHIP HIM
MusicMan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #68
Assid Rane
negro plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEscape
Here's a better question - If God is all-forgiving, why can't God forgive Lucifer?

He can, but Lucifer does not want forgiveness, he wants to be God
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #69
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 AM   #70
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
It says nowhere in the bible that the serpent is Satan, the church just says its implied. In fact, Satan is nowhere in the Old Testament.

That's untrue. Satan is definately in the OT. Specificaly he's in the books of Job, Zechariah, Chronicles, Psalms, Numbers, Samuel and Kings. He isn't always called 'Satan' though, sometimes he's called 'Lucifer' and also 'adversary'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Wasn't Satan still on God's council, so to speak, during the fall of man?

Edit: Oh, beaten to it, by Slacker nonetheless! Since when did you know anything about theology?!

Oh, y'know... I dabble occasionaly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Anyway, I don't want to paint myself as a Satanist, as I don't believe in any of that nonsense, but Satan is a far more likable character. He's effectively a slave who wishes to rebel against his master, and for this is punished.

Can't argue with that.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-12-2012 at 06:50 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #71
Mr E Meat
Custom User Title

is cuddly and awesome <3
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #72
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja#117
Lulz at this garbage. I really have a hard time grasping how someone could actually believe this and live based on a book with this stuff in it. Its just insane. Im not fully sure if you are being serious or not but either way its just too much.

I'm deadly serious, that's what the Bible says. Of course, being an atheist myself I don't actualy believe that God and Satan and angels and demons exist. Doesn't stop me studying the literature though does it?

I've also read other epics, such as 'The Hobbit' and it's sequel 'The Lord of the Rings', and funnily enough, I didn't believe those either.

Slacker's Art Website.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #73
Randio
Leviosuuuuuuuw

Satan is a word for opponent, or adversary. People have misinterpreted this meaning and given the name to an unnamed angel who was referred to as a satan (without the capital S), for he was antagonistic towards someone, though in the name of God.

There never was any mention of THE Satan in the early versions of the Bible. Nor was the snake actually the devil. It was just a snake. That connection was just added in later times, because every new version of the bible featured new or altered things. This was because the monks writing them didn't want to go copy-paste on that shit and were probably bored.
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Randio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #74
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
I've always been of the opinion that Lucifer is much like Prometheus in ways.

He encouraged them to seek knowledge, 'Lucifer' means light-bringer (I think) and the apple was supposed to confer knowledge.

waits for slacker to correct me

You make an interesting point.
The Greek titan Prometheus is credited with the theft of fire from the Greek gods for human use, an act that enabled mankind's progress into civilization. Zeus punished him for this by sentencing him to eternal torment, he was bound to a rock where each day an eagle was sent to pluck out and eat his liver, only for it grow to back to be eaten again the next day.

The word Lucifer is taken from the Latin Vulgate, which translates the Hebrew word הֵילֵל as 'lucifer', meaning "the morning star or the planet Venus" or, as an adjective, "light-bringing", as you mentioned.

The interesting thing here though isn't what you think it is. Although lucifer can mean 'light -bringing', in this context it isn't used to depict knowledge, it's simply a word for the brightest star (or rather planet) in our sky, so it's talking about light in a literal manner. What is interesting here is that the Greeks associated the gods with the planets (which is why the planets today share their names with Greek gods and their Roman counterparts) and so did the Canaanites. Remember Canaan was where the Kingdom of Israel (where Judaism started) was established and in ancient Canaanite mythology, the morning star is associated with a god called 'Attar', who attempted to occupy the throne of the god 'Ba'al' (which means "master" or "lord") and, finding he was unable to do so, descended and ruled the underworld.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
From this, we can deduce that the story of the fall from grace of Satan and his decent into Hell, which he then ruled, was actualy based upon the Canaanite story of Attar. The story of Attar is thought to have originated with the story of a Canaanite lesser god called 'Helel' who tried to dethrone the Canaanite high god 'El', who we know the Jewish god 'Yahweh' was derived and developed from.

Y'see, before monotheism existed, when everyone followed polytheistic gods, the legends of the gods in practicaly every culture depicted them pretty much like very powerful humans with all of humankind's faults, squabbles and wars. They were constantly depicted as trying to defeat and usurp one another, infact, when two nations went to war, the god of the victorous nation was often considered as usurping the god of the losing nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
God didn't seem to like that, and it seems ignorance is considered virtuous in many religions.

It's not exactly that ignorance was considered as virtuous in many religions, more that 'knowledge' is seen as a god-like quality and anyone who seeks knowledge wishes to become like the gods themselves, so seeking knowledge is kinda seen as a sin in that respect.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-12-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #75
Goodathton

read this book,learn more
"the mysterious stranger" by Mark Twain

i doubt that Mark Twain learned a lot of mysterious thing from Tesla
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #76
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randio
Satan is a word for opponent, or adversary. People have misinterpreted this meaning and given the name to an unnamed angel who was referred to as a satan (without the capital S), for he was antagonistic towards someone, though in the name of God.

There never was any mention of THE Satan in the early versions of the Bible.

I disagree, although you're correct in saying that 'satan' translates as 'opponent', or 'adversary', Satan was called 'ha-Satan' in the Book of Job, the 'ha' part translates as 'the'. So his name literaly translates as 'the adversary'

This way of naming an angel after his role isn't unusual, for example, the name of the archangel 'Sealtiel' means "Intercessor (mediator) of God"

Infact, the Book of Enoch contains reference to an angel called 'Satanel'. Notice it ends with the same phrase 'el', which means 'god'. (and was also the name of the head of the Canaanite pantheon of gods)
So, Satanel would naturaly translate as 'Adversary of God' but that wasn't meant in the sense that he 'opposed' God himself, he was considered as working for God 'opposing' those who had sinned. Kinda like a 'prosecutor' working for a country's court system, infact, Satan was also called 'the accusor', which is a typical role for a prosecutor to take.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-12-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #77
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assid Rane
He can, but Lucifer does not want forgiveness, he wants to be God

Why doesn't God let him take over for a while, like in Bruce Almighty, so he can see just how hard it is?
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #78
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
Y'see, before monotheism existed, when everyone followed polytheistic gods, the legends of the gods in practicaly every culture depicted them pretty much like very powerful humans with all of humankind's faults, squabbles and wars. They were constantly depicted as trying to defeat and usurp one another, infact, when two nations went to war, the god of the victorous nation was often considered as usurping the god of the losing nation.

The old stuff actually sounds more interesting.

The evolution of religion reminds me of video games. I like the early levels with lots of characters. But then you get to the 'end-of-level boss' and it's not so good: one ridiculously powerful baddie - like the Abrahamic god.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #79
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum
The old stuff actually sounds more interesting.

The evolution of religion reminds me of video games. I like the early levels with lots of characters. But then you get to the 'end-of-level boss' and it's not so good: one ridiculously powerful baddie - like the Abrahamic god.

You just pretty much hit the nail squarely on the head there.

Y'see, the Abrahamic character of 'Yahweh' (God) would appear to be based upon several different previous religious ideas.

He's associated with the Canaanite 'El' because in the Bible he tells Moses that he used to be known as 'El Shaddai' (Shaddai means 'almighty', and El was the almighty head of the Canaanite pantheon of gods) and we have pottery from around 800BC that associates Yahweh as having the same wife as El, the Mother Goddess 'Asherah', but he's also associated with the Mesopotamian god 'Enki' who, as you'll know from our previous conversations, instructs the flood hero to build a boat to save himself and his loved ones from the flood in the original Sumerian flood myth.
He may even be associated with the Egyptian sun god 'The Aten', who the pharoah Akhenaten worshipped as a monotheistic god and forced this monotheistic religion upon his people (infact, this is the first known monotheistic religion) because a poem by Akhenaten dedicated to The Aten which greatly praises him called the "Great Hymn to the Aten" would seem to greatly resemble Psalm 104, which praises Yahweh in a very similar manner.

The thing is, all of these earlier versions, although they were gods, were not always considered in the same way as Yahweh, they were much less powerful and could be beaten and userped by other gods, but when we amalgamate them into the form of 'God' he becomes 'all powerful'.

Exactly how this amalgamation came about is a mystery, but I have a theory.
There are historical records (for example, The Armarna Letters, among other sources) of several tribes of nomads raiding Canaan known collectively as the 'Habiru', who sound very similar to the 'Twelve Tribes of Israel' that eventualy took over Canaan and re-named it 'The Kingdom of Israel', according to the Bible.

The Habiru were apparently made up of representatives of several different cultures of the Fertile Cresent, which included Egypt, Canaan and Mesopotamia, so possibly the amalgam happened when members of these different cultures joined together as the Habiru. They certainly existed for at least a few hundred years, which could be considered as long enough for an amalamated culture to emerge from them

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #80
xxMr.Davexx
Semi okay guitar player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage024
O.K. I still haven't heard any intelligent responses, I know this is an out of nowhere post.. I just wanted to get some perspective on different things.

Cuz generally people are praying to Jesus or God, Would Jesus answer a prayer to Satan? There you go.

Rate This Thread: